Jump to content
jackwebster

Passivity / Head Position

Recommended Posts

The passivity calls in the Sad/Snyder match reminded of the way these sorts of things were called back in the day. I remember when I first started in freestyle, I got hit repeatedly for passivity bc I would block with my head. But about the time the push out rule came into effect, nobody seemed to care about blocking with your head. At some point in the last decade, burying your head became passive again.

In that match, Sad kept his head up, and Snyder kept his head down. No matter how many half shots Snyder took, it was obvious that Sad was controlling the pace bc he wasn't blocking off.

Same thing with Yaz / Taylor.

I'm not sure how you unlearn this folkstyle habit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I didnt get any responses, so I will reframe and ask a direct question:

Do you think Snyder is intentionally keeping his head down to block off, or is that just a stance he developed over time bc it helps set up his leg attacks?

Today, it appeared to be in response to Sadulaev pulling on his head and neck relentlessly. 

I don't recall it being part of his strategy when he's getting to leg attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, denger said:

Today, it appeared to be in response to Sadulaev pulling on his head and neck relentlessly. 

I don't recall it being part of his strategy when he's getting to leg attacks.

I felt the same way. It was Sadulaev's decision to keep Snyder's head down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passivity is one of those situations that can be subjective. It's become less subjective with the step out rule and the, more recently, activity clock. Both rules have existed after my "athletic" days but I would've enjoyed being involved with.

I think there's a way to give more control over to the wrestlers and limit the officials impact. Instead of an activity clock, restart the match in the middle of the mat with the same rules but wrestlers are limited to the small circle until someone scores. After scoring occurs, then the match can return to the big circle area. I'm thinking of the dimensions of a high school mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I felt the same way. It was Sadulaev's decision to keep Snyder's head down.

Sadulaev pulled Snyder's head down about 15 times in the first 10 seconds, and he didn't let up much after that - reaching and daring KS to take a shot.

I don't know what Snyder's game plan was beyond not taking any risks in the first period. Sad's plan was on full display, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 1:54 PM, jackwebster said:

 

No matter how many half shots Snyder took, it was obvious that Sad was controlling the pace bc he wasn't blocking off.

Murika! 
We really value half a$$ shots and lots of flamboyant motion. 
I never understand why we think that is going to result in a passivity call.... but then NCAAs roll around and it becomes clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, jackwebster said:

I didnt get any responses, so I will reframe and ask a direct question:

Do you think Snyder is intentionally keeping his head down to block off, or is that just a stance he developed over time bc it helps set up his leg attacks?

you're thinking of greco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...