denger

Women's Team Score

Japan 100: 3 in the finals tomorrow, one Gold, one Bronze, one DNP so far

USA 85: 2 in the finals tomorrow and one going for bronze, one Silver, one Bronze, one DNP so far

Hildebrandt goes head-head with Japan in the finals.

We're in the same half as Japan at 57, 59, and 68, so it's if it's gonna be close it likely comes down to tomorrow's Semis.

I know Japan sent a young team, and we have our own unknowns...   Any predictions?

I remember the days of watching YouTube videos pre 2010 of Steiner saying how close we are and to improve this or this and we will be competitive. We heard it for years and years and finally the expectations is if you make the team you expect to medal. We are going to be year in and out right there with Japan from now on.

Just now, Lunaticfringe said:

I remember the days of watching YouTube videos pre 2010 of Steiner saying how close we are and to improve this or this and we will be competitive. We heard it for years and years and finally the expectations is if you make the team you expect to medal. We are going to be year in and out right there with Japan from now on.

I agree.

And, NCAA women's wrestling being freestyle has us poised to grow by an exponent, maybe a few. I'm also curious to see if that brings other world-class athletes to American universities, as we see in several other Olympic sports. It's hard to imagine that a free or discounted American college education wouldn't attract top talent around from around the world. We've seen a little bit in Men's wrestling with RTCs, but the Folkstyle grind takes some of the shine off that potential opportunity. 

I think we can beat them but to do that Japan is going to have to stumble a bit in the upper weights.  They already dnp at 76 kg.  If they fall off a bit at 68 and 72 kg we have a good shot at the team title.  The lightweight Japanese are looking awesome as usual.  I hope Sarah can pull out a win tomorrow - it might come down to who locks up a lace 1st - they are pretty deadly with it.

TMS is going to win gold, Adeline has a great chance to win her 6th.  Between Sarah and Remina in the 50kg final, Sarah should win.  Remina is Japan's #3 behind Yui Susaki and Yuki Irie.  Irie chose not to compete in the National tournaments after she lost to Susaki for the Olympic spot.  I thought Hemmer would do a lot better in the 55kg Final because she was wrestling really well, but Sakurai really picked her apart.

I'm excited to see Welker - curious to see how she fares at senior level after crushing Junior Worlds 

Don't know much about Nelson besides her PanAm win, interested to see how she fares against a deeper field.

Maroulis and Stock are two favs, of course.

6 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Between Sarah and Remina in the 50kg final, Sarah should win.  Remina is Japan's #3 behind Yui Susaki and Yuki Irie.  Irie chose not to compete in the National tournaments after she lost to Susaki for the Olympic spot. 

Sarah would be #3 at best on the Japanese ladder as well.  I see this match being a lot closer than you.  Yoshimoto teched Vuc in the semis.  Hilde wrestled Vuc in 2020 and only beat her by 2 points.  Don't sleep on Yoshimoto because she's third-string, especially when two of the top three in the world are the women ahead of her.

3 hours ago, simple said:

Isn’t this whole Japan team 3rd string? Pretty insane they could put together 3 different teams and have the top 3 team scores.

Yeah Japan's depth is insane...I think this team is a mix of their 2's and 3's. It's also a very young team, only 1 has wrestled at sr worlds in the past - the 72kg rep (she took world bronze in 2019). 8 of the other 9 reps are all age level world champions. USA could have 4 head to heads with Japan today - Sarah's finals opponent and all but Kylie have Japan on the same side of the bracket. 

5 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Sarah would be #3 at best on the Japanese ladder as well.  I see this match being a lot closer than you.  Yoshimoto teched Vuc in the semis.  Hilde wrestled Vuc in 2020 and only beat her by 2 points.  Don't sleep on Yoshimoto because she's third-string, especially when two of the top three in the world are the women ahead of her.

I'm not sleeping on Yoshimoto at all.  I know how good she is.  I'm just saying Sarah should win and I agree with you....she would be #3 in Japan.  I don't think she beats Irie and definitely not Susaki at this time.  I don't think she would beat Stadnik if they ever met.

1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Yeah Japan's depth is insane...I think this team is a mix of their 2's and 3's. It's also a very young team, only 1 has wrestled at sr worlds in the past - the 72kg rep (she took world bronze in 2019). 8 of the other 9 reps are all age level world champions. USA could have 4 head to heads with Japan today - Sarah's finals opponent and all but Kylie have Japan on the same side of the bracket. 

Unfortunately, I don't think Kylie gets past her first match with Turkey.

5 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

The depth of Japan's womens team is better than that of Russia's mens team imo

I agree.  What a lot of people don't realize is that most of the women wrestlers that finished 2nd for the Olympic spot didn't wrestle to qualify for the world team.  Mostly the 3s and 4s and below.

2 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

At 62kg yesterday, I really think that if Japan's rep(Nonoka Ozaki) beat Tynybekova, then she goes on to win.  Tynybekova barely beat her right when time expired.  Ozaki came back through repechage and teched her opponent in the 3rd place match.  It's going to be real interesting when the time comes for Japan's National tournament in Dec because if Yukako Kawai enters, she's going to be facing Ozaki for sure.

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I missed Helen's last match so eager to see how she looks

The Russian was formidable and very physical - bossed Helen around for an early push out,  but Helen soon capitalized, kept her feet moving laterally, creating better angles and was constant with her variety of attacks. The Russian was clearly frustrated. Helen had that eager look in her eye. 

Nanjo looked very fluid against her seasoned Bulgarian opponent, taking single-legs at will mostly sweeps. The Bulgarian scored some counter exposure, and positioned pretty well to score more, but Nanjo was patient and savvy. She also took some scolding from the ref for not trying to score from parterre - she knew the flat-footed rigidity of the Bulgarian was what she wanted to get her points from. 

Helen - Nanjo will be a great match. Helen's foot speed and counter attacks should serve her well. Both have great lateral movement, so I'm expecting some flurries and exciting sequences!