denger

Women's Team Score

1 minute ago, DuckFor2 said:

Fujinami gets a quick drill in 10-0 

41-0 she outscored her opponents

Mukaida is already great at 53kg, but if Fujinami beats Mukaida for the team spot, Japan is going to be lights out at 50 and 53kg for YEARS.

Gray pulls it out with a late flurry!
I mean late is debatable. ;) She had the takedown for the lead with what 55 ,seconds left, and then the turn with 35 left to gain an even bigger lead.... Then the fall with 3 left....

But yes great win

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Mukaida is already great at 53kg, but if Fujinami beats Mukaida for the team spot, Japan is going to be lights out at 50 and 53kg for YEARS.

Mukaida has been a bit flakey (by J-women's 1st team standards) - bottled it in 2017, blew it at the 2020 asians, and was beaten by the PRK girl at the 2019 asians & worlds (the latter a 12-1 tech fall). I see Fujinami taking that spot in a year or two, then Japan have Susaki, Fujinami, and Ozaki to rule & 50, 53, and 62 for the next couple of cycles (plus a Kawai or two, if they stick around). The growing depth of women's wrestling will see them get squeezed out of the 2 heaviest weight categories completely though IMO.

8 minutes ago, ufo said:

Mukaida has been a bit flakey (by J-women's 1st team standards) - bottled it in 2017, blew it at the 2020 asians, and was beaten by the PRK girl at the 2019 asians & worlds (the latter a 12-1 tech fall). I see Fujinami taking that spot in a year or two, then Japan have Susaki, Fujinami, and Ozaki to rule & 50, 53, and 62 for the next couple of cycles (plus a Kawai or two, if they stick around). The growing depth of women's wrestling will see them get squeezed out of the 2 heaviest weight categories completely though IMO.

Totally agree.

3 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Going into 2020 and Japan's National tournament(All-Japan), this is how each Japanese womens rep ranked within Japan.

50kg Yoshimoto Japan #5 50kg

53kg Fujinami Japan unranked
55kg Tsugumi Sakurai unranked
57kg Nanjo unranked
59kg  Hanai Japan #3 at 57kg
62kg Ozaki unranked
65kg Morikawa Japan #5 at 62kg
68kg Miyaji unranked
72kg Furuichi Japan #3 at 76kg
76kg  Matsuyuki Japan #2

The way the Japanese selection process works for their World Team is that they have 2 national tournaments every year.  If there are different winners in a weight class for each tournament, then there is a single playoff match to determine the rep.

Because the pandemic delayed the Olympics for a year and Japan's mid-year national tournament is always in May, none of the Olympic team members chose to enter the tournament because it's way too close to the Olympics.  Only a few of Japan's #2s chose to participate at the tournament this past May, which is why you're seeing such a young team.

Yes but a lot of these wrestlers are very young and just now stepping up to compete on the senior level.  I think you have to wait to see how they fare against the established stars in the next competition before you know really know where they fit in Japan's pecking order.  Although I would not pick anyone to beat Susaki I don't think it is beyond reason to see some of the other young stars you show as "unranked" emerge as the # 1 for Japan at next years Worlds and beyond.  My money would be on Fujinami, Nanjo, Ozaki, and Miyaji to emerge sooner than later.

5 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

What was Welker score? Thanks in advance.

She looked flimsy, and she completely gassed out at about 5min. I imagine the 10lb drop since Junior Worlds 6 weeks ago played a part. 

She had some throw-bys and misdirection in ties that could have put her in advantageous positions, but she could never square her hips - all spaghetti and no meatball. 

I'll be curious to see if she conditions for the weight for the next year or just settles in at 76 and sets her sights on Adeline this quad.

She was certainly out-horsed by the Turkish woman. Whether is was the cut or just being an 18yr old getting hulked by a 26yr old former World medalist, she was weaker and over-powered. It was a humbling senior debut, but there's no where to go but up!

25 minutes ago, denger said:

She looked flimsy, and she completely gassed out at about 5min. I imagine the 10lb drop since Junior Worlds 6 weeks ago played a part. 

She had some throw-bys and misdirection in ties that could have put her in advantageous positions, but she could never square her hips - all spaghetti and no meatball. 

I'll be curious to see if she conditions for the weight for the next year or just settles in at 76 and sets her sights on Adeline this quad.

She was certainly out-horsed by the Turkish woman. Whether is was the cut or just being an 18yr old getting hulked by a 26yr old former World medalist, she was weaker and over-powered. It was a humbling senior debut, but there's no where to go but up!

you're 100% right, she looked as much like a kid as humanly possible.... talented kid, but a kid 

18 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

The US womens team has improved a lot recently. Yet, we cant even compete with Japan. Its going to be a loooooong time before we can.

I'll attempt to spin positive...

Hildebrandt lost a squeaker. She's always improving, and I think there were a few moments where she knows she could have capitalized.

Fearnside lost to a dominant bronze winner - I wish we could have seen her get one more match.

Burkert did okay with bronze

Helen looked pretty good making the finals - not dominant enough to offer confidence that it would translate to a win against first-string Japan, but she looked eager, smart, and comfortable

Nelson is powerful enough. Hopefully she'll make some adjustments in order to capitalize better. Making a medal match is still really great for her.

Miracle was at her best. She had no answer for the Olympic silver medalist who challenged Kawai, but she had a good tourney.

Tamyra got fluked, but I bet she has a couple good years left. This was the upset of the women's tourney, and it would swing team points pretty dramatically if...

Welker is just too young/weak, but we know her potential

Adeline is gold again! 

No, they didn't threaten a young Japanese team, but Hildebrandt, Nelson, and Tamyra could have closed that 51 pt gap (186 - 135 so far). The gap between 135 - 65 to 3rd place Ukraine is good. Kyrgyzstan 60, India 54, Russia 49... It's still a pretty good outing for our women.

Edited by denger
typos

6 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

you're 100% right, she looked as much like a kid as humanly possible.... talented kid, but a kid 

Her movement was pretty good, continually putting Turkey into compromised positions. I'm excited to see her grow into the adult version. Two years ago she was a 16yr old cadet bronze medalist at 61! 

13 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Yes but a lot of these wrestlers are very young and just now stepping up to compete on the senior level.  I think you have to wait to see how they fare against the established stars in the next competition before you know really know where they fit in Japan's pecking order.  Although I would not pick anyone to beat Susaki I don't think it is beyond reason to see some of the other young stars you show as "unranked" emerge as the # 1 for Japan at next years Worlds and beyond.  My money would be on Fujinami, Nanjo, Ozaki, and Miyaji to emerge sooner than later.

My whole point in posting that list is to show everybody how deep Japan is and what these women wrestlers ranked in Japan before they secured their spot on the World Team for this year minus the Olympians.

50kg Yoshimoto is really good and trains with the Kawai sisters, but she's not touching Susaki.  Susaki beat her once already when Susaki tried to come back too early with a dislocated elbow in 2019.

53kg- It's going to be a serious war between Mukaida and Fujinami.  Mukaida just got married after the Olympics, so her focus might have been taken away just a little bit, but who knows.

55kg- Sakurai.  She's also really good, but more than likely, Nanjo will drop to 55kg from 57kg because she already trains at Shigakkan University with Risako and Yukako Kawai.  She won't try to take the 57 spot from Risako because she can't beat her anyways.

57kg- Risako Kawai also just got married, but I know she's going to keep competing for sure. 

59kg-  Akie Hanai also trains at Shigakkan University with Nanjo and both Kawai sisters.

62kg- Yukako Kawai vs Ozaki for sure.  Ozaki was seconds away from taking out Tynybekova and I think she would have won the world title this year had that happened.

65kg- This weight is too unpredictable because a lot of wrestlers moved around for this weight.  Morikawa got a lot better because she currently attends NSSU where she's being coached by Kaori Icho.

68kg- Same as above.  Dosho has owned this weight in Japan since the last quad, but she's probably going to hang it up soon. After that shoulder injury a few years ago, she's not the same.

72kg-  Same as 65kg and 68kg.

78kg- Same as 65, 68and 72kg.

Edited by CA_Wrestler

2 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

My whole point in posting that list is to show everybody how deep Japan is and what these women wrestlers ranked in Japan before they secured their spot on the World Team for this year minus the Olympians.

50kg Yoshimoto is really good, but she's not touching Susaki.  Susaki beat her once already when Susaki tried to come back too early with a dislocated elbow in 2019.

53kg- It's going to be a serious war between Mukaida and Fujinami.  Mukaida just got married after the Olympics, so her focus might have been taken away just a little bit, but who knows.

55kg- Sakurai.  She's also really good, but more than likely, Nanjo will drop to 55kg from 57kg because she already trains at Shigakkan University with Risako and Yukakao Kawai.  She won't try to take the 57 spot from Risako because she can't beat her anyways.

57kg- Risako Kawai also just got married, but I know she's going to keep competing for sure. 

59kg-  Akie Hanai also trains at Shigakkan University with Nanjo and both Kawai sisters.

62kg- Yukako Kawai vs Ozaki for sure.  Ozaki was seconds away from taking out Tynybekova and I think she would have won the world title this year had that happened.

65kg- This weight is too unpredictable because a lot of wrestlers moved around for this weight.  Morikawa got a lot better because she currently attends NSSU where she's being coached by Kaori Icho.

68kg- Same as above.  Dosho has owned this weight in Japan since the last quad, but she's probably going to hang it up soon. After that shoulder injury a few years ago, she's not the same.

Well Done. 
You really know your women's wrestling CA *Tips Cap!

5 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I wish we'd seen their Junior team this year to have a better idea of how our younger girls stack up. Many of our best will be well into their 30s by 2024: Hildebrandt is 28, Burkert 28, Helen 30, Tamyra 29, Adeline 30. I noticed during the Olympics that about half of the entries were this age or older, but I can't imagine many of them hanging on beyond 2024.

I'm optimistic about the growing opportunities for women in the USA, but we're probably a couple cycles from threatening Japan. 

44 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

50kg Yoshimoto is really good, but she's not touching Susaki.  Susaki beat her once already when Susaki tried to come back too early with a dislocated elbow in 2019.

55kg- Sakurai.  She's also really good, but more than likely, Nanjo will drop to 55kg from 57kg because she already trains at Shigakkan University with Risako and Yukako Kawai.  She won't try to take the 57 spot from Risako because she can't beat her anyways.

You are obviously very dialed in to what is going on vis a vis Japan's Women's FS team.  I love watching the Japanese woman compete - their technique is so nuch more refined than any other country US included.   - how do you manage to follow it so closely?  I would love to be able to watch some of their National or college competitions - There's a good idea for Flo!!!.