Jump to content
denger

Women's Team Score

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, denger said:

I wish we'd seen their Junior team this year to have a better idea of how our younger girls stack up. Many of our best will be well into their 30s by 2024: Hildebrandt is 28, Burkert 28, Helen 30, Tamyra 29, Adeline 30. I noticed during the Olympics that about half of the entries were this age or older, but I can't imagine many of them hanging on beyond 2024.

I'm optimistic about the growing opportunities for women in the USA, but we're probably a couple cycles from threatening Japan. 

I think 3 of the Japanese girls in this WC were Juniors eligible. Fujinami is 17, Ozaki is 18 and i'm pretty sure one of the others was 20.  CA wrestler probably knows for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lu1979 said:

You are obviously very dialed in to what is going on vis a vis Japan's Women's FS team.  I love watching the Japanese woman compete - their technique is so nuch more refined than any other country US included.   - how do you manage to follow it so closely?  I would love to be able to watch some of their National or college competitions - There's a good idea for Flo!!!.

lol Flo's not getting those rights.  I watch most of the matches.  But you also have to remember that nobody wrestles folk aka American style outside of the US.  When kids start wrestling in Japan, it's all freestyle.  Most of the successful womens wrestlers in Japan started when they were really, really young and had an older sibling wrestling or parents who wrestled.  I think it helps more to wrestle folk for men as DT has showed because he's been using folk to pin guys in freestyle lol.

As in the most recent and most visible case(2021 53kg Gold), Akari Fujinami's brother is Yuhi Fujinami(2017 bronze 70kg).

I saw Yui Susaki in a match when she was pre-cadet age and she teched the other girl so fast, it should have been criminal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I think 3 of the Japanese girls in this WC were Juniors eligible. Fujinami is 17, Ozaki is 18 and i'm pretty sure one of the others was 20.  CA wrestler probably knows for sure. 

The only other Japanese World team member that's under 21 is the 55kg champ, Tsugumi Sakurai(20)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, denger said:

All attempt to spit positive...

Hildebrandt lost a squeaker. She's always improving, and I think there were a few moments where she knows she could have capitalized.

Fearnside lost to a dominant bronze winner - I wish we could have seen her get one more match.

Burkert did okay with bronze

Helen looked pretty good making the finals - not dominant enough to offer confidence that it would translate to a win against first-string Japan, but she looked eager, smart, and comfortable

Nelson is powerful enough. Hopefully she'll make some adjustments in order to capitalize better. Making a medal match is still really great for her.

Miracle was at her best. She had no answer for the Olympic silver medalist who challenged Kawai, but she had a good tourney.

Tamyra got fluked, but I bet she has a couple good years left. This was the upset of the women's tourney, and it would swing team points pretty dramatically if...

Welker is just too young/weak, but we know her potential

Adeline is gold again! 

No, they didn't threaten a young Japanese team, but Hildebrandt, Nelson, and Tamyra could have closed that 51 pt gap (186 - 135 so far). The gap between 135 - 65 to 3rd place Ukraine is good. Kyrgyzstan 60, India 54, Russia 49... It's still a pretty good outing for our women.

I cant deny that the US is much improved and I think we should be happy about it. I just cant help but talk about how good Japan. Their depth is insane and it doesnt appear to me like the US will be able to catch them for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

I cant deny that the US is much improved and I think we should be happy about it. I just cant help but talk about how good Japan. Their depth is insane and it doesnt appear to me like the US will be able to catch them for some time.

Yeah, they're really freaking good, and their youngsters challenged and beat some of our stars. That makes it hard to imagine Team USA at the top in any equation involving the current stars - not impossible, just not something one can objectively say is likely.

I'm still optimistic about the improvements and the growing opportunities here.

Japan has 29 team titles now. A handful of countries have one or two in the last 35 years or so, and I can't say that I know anything about those few.

I think the whole field has advanced significantly in the last 10 years - I certainly enjoy watching the women more now than I did in 2012. It's really impressive that Japan has stayed ahead of this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, Welker's shot clock point was enough to place 10th! The 4 competitors below her include a Canadian who forfeited rd 1, a Russian who got pinned rd 1, a Slovakian who got etched 12-1, and the 2nd seed Ukrainian who got pinned in the 1/4s after a bye.

I guess Kylie's action - throwbys and misdirection from ties that kept her stronger opponent in compromised positions paid off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

lol Flo's not getting those rights.  I watch most of the matches.  But you also have to remember that nobody wrestles folk aka American style outside of the US.  When kids start wrestling in Japan, it's all freestyle.  Most of the successful womens wrestlers in Japan started when they were really, really young and had an older sibling wrestling or parents who wrestled.  I think it helps more to wrestle folk for men as DT has showed because he's been using folk to pin guys in freestyle lol.

As in the most recent and most visible case(2021 53kg Gold), Akari Fujinami's brother is Yuhi Fujinami(2017 bronze 70kg).

I saw Yui Susaki in a match when she was pre-cadet age and she teched the other girl so fast, it should have been criminal!

I think this is an underappreciated aspect.

We don't have very many women in the US coming from wrestling dynasties.

High school wrestling in California has a 50% year on year attrition rate. Not sure what the attrition rate is in college, but it's pretty high year on year. I've gone back through the rankings from WCWA to see how many of the top ten ranked women who continue wrestling into the senior level and it's a very small number (< 10%).

Edited by Mike Parrish
...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

Aaaaand I've got no feed from Flo for Helen's gold medal match.

I hate Flo so much right now.

 

Grrrrrr.

At least they've been posting the replays pretty immediately. If only I had the patience to dip and come back after I see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...