denger

Women's Team Score

meanwhile Flo tweets they are experiencing an issue with the live feed, in the mean time keep up with all the live action using their free blog.

tbh, Flo was really good all week until this morning.

6 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

meanwhile Flo tweets they are experiencing an issue with the live feed, in the mean time keep up with all the live action using their free blog.

tbh, Flo was really good all week until this morning.

Can you imagine the **** storm if this had happened during the men's FS finals?

The emotion of Mensa-Stock at the end of that one...Not quite joy.

The exchange between her an her opponent after, resulting in a smile from Hanzicklova. Gotta love this sport!

Just now, denger said:

The emotion of Mensa-Stock at the end of that one...Not quite joy.

The exchange between her an her opponent after, resulting in a smile from Hanzicklova. Gotta love this sport!

You could take her picture there and put it in the dictionary under 'bittersweet'.

Tamyra is honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met. Just a real sweetheart.

43 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

You could take her picture there and put it in the dictionary under 'bittersweet'.

Tamyra is honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met. Just a real sweetheart.

I'm grateful for the mainstream coverage she got with her Gold. Lots of people got see that as their introduction to women's wrestling.

So happy to see Helen and Adeline back on top! Wish they could’ve got it done at the Olympics but it is still awesome for them to World champions again.

Yes the depth of Japan is ridiculous. Our top few female wrestlers are amazing too, but we have no where near the depth. That’s why I thought we had a chance at being close to Japan in only 6 weights at the Olympics, but@ShakaAloha proved me wrong lol. We are heading in the right direction though! With more high schools and colleges starting womens programs, that will help tremendously

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

23 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

So happy to see Helen and Adeline back on top! Wish they could’ve got it done at the Olympics but it is still awesome for them to World champions again.

Yes the depth of Japan is ridiculous. Our top few female wrestlers are amazing too, but we have no where near the depth. That’s why I thought we had a chance at being close to Japan in only 6 weights at the Olympics, but@ShakaAloha proved me wrong lol. We are heading in the right direction though! With more high schools and colleges starting womens programs, that will help tremendously.

I think the NCAA part could be a game changer. It's still at least 2028 before we see that pay off. It won't catch Japan's head start very soon, but our pool will get deeper with more opportunities. And, we have some great Senior talent that will presumably fill more coaching roles as they age out of competition (in addition to their already great leadership). It's an exciting time to be a fan of the women - we're going to see some cool things in the next decade. 

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Watched the 68kg final again and I was really surprised they didn't stop the action when Miyaji's knee was twisted the complete wrong way and got pinned because of it.   Damn, that looked painful!

yeah the ref messed up, it was a dangerous angle while still in the single leg and then it turned into a roll and pin... it's the officials job to protect the athlete there, he didn't and unsurprisingly she got injured, hopefully not too badly.

I'll put my conspiracy hat on and say he may have let the action go because he got a brief he was to try and encourage the development of wrestling in Kyrgyzstan, so to speak...

1 minute ago, ufo said:

yeah the ref messed up, it was a dangerous angle while still in the single leg and then it turned into a roll and pin... it's the officials job to protect the athlete there, he didn't and unsurprisingly she got injured, hopefully not too badly.

I'll put my conspiracy hat on and say he may have let the action go because he got a brief he was to try and encourage the development of wrestling in Kyrgyzstan, so to speak...

I totally thought her knee got torn up just watching it.

23 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Yes the depth of Japan is ridiculous. Our top few female wrestlers are amazing too, but we have no where near the depth. That’s why I thought we had a chance at being close to Japan in only 6 weights at the Olympics, but@ShakaAloha proved me wrong lol. We are heading in the right direction though! With more high schools and colleges starting womens programs, that will help tremendously

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

We are closing the gap with Japan, but as this tournament showed, there is still a long way to go.  We have a great group of upper weight prospects with Welker, the Blaydes sisters, and Amit.  But it's going  to be decades before we can match their quality and depth and the lower to middle weights.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Hilde would be fourth at best on the Japanese ladder at 50kg (I actually think she's closer to sixth or seventh), but she medals at Worlds/Olympics because Japan can only send one.  This is pretty much the same for all of our women in 65kg and lower, excluding Helen.  Even TMS got caught by the Japanese back-up at 68kg.  

3 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

We are closing the gap with Japan, but as this tournament showed, there is still a long way to go.  We have a great group of upper weight prospects with Welker, the Blaydes sisters, and Amit.  But it's going  to be decades before we can match their quality and depth and the lower to middle weights.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Hilde would be fourth at best on the Japanese ladder at 50kg (I actually think she's closer to sixth or seventh), but she medals at Worlds/Olympics because Japan can only send one.  This is pretty much the same for all of our women in 65kg and lower, excluding Helen.  Even TMS got caught by the Japanese back-up at 68kg.  

I'll make a bold prediction: 53kgs is where we have a breakout performance in the next few years...

I might be biased.