nom

Sick and tired - No more of this BS 'learning'

I'm am super proud of how the US has performed. Very impressive showing. <Brrrrt> <Brrrt> U.S. ! <Brrrrt> <Brrrt> U.S. !

If anyone feels the need to lay blame for not taking 1st place (not sure why, it seems unnecessary), blame the coaches - it's their job to take the heat. Not that they deserve it (they don't), but it's in the job description. So fire away.

<Brrrrt> <Brrrt> U.S. !

6 hours ago, simple said:

what kinda dumb **** is this

What is "dumb?"

That Cox, a two time world champ has stated that he is learning he needs to be offensive to win big matches?

or that he significantly underperformed as a result?

Or that I enjoyed being at 95 worlds when USA won?

It wasn't a snippet from this interview was it ?
Cause in this one he says things like .

After watching the video numerous times, I simply didn't do enough. It wasn't my mindset going out there but after watching the tape it's what happened. I need to take accountability for what happened, I didn't sprawl and clear correctly. Hats off to him for sticking to his game plan, but I should've done more .

I feel terrible (I think he said "what peeves me") that I couldn't shoulder the load for team USA and I left the other guys in positions where they have to win for us to win the team title and that's something that's hurting me.

Lol what a good guy.

Really wishing I didn't mention Cox.   This thread is not about blaming anyone for the US missing gold by a whisker.  This is about the 'learning' that I've heard many wrestlers state ... I need to pull the trigger, I need to get on my offense sooner.  It is such a ridiculous learning.  It is akin to 'When I go out there next time, I want to try and win' ... no sh|t.  How many years have they wrestled?  How many other wrestlers have they heard with that kind of 'learning' ...  all you folks at the very top of the sport ... it is already learned!!  

Yianni is the only guy i missed this week, so i can't comment on him.

Green is a former world medalist who literally had some of the nicest shots of anyone and simply couldn't finish, actually he lost because of giving up points off his shot. BRUTAL. He is a physical specimen but doesn't wrestle like it.

DT, Cox and Snyder all wrestled some all timers this week and basically all of them took the wrong approach. None of them made their opponents uncomfortable, none of them looked to get after their offense early and often. They were all expecting to win 3-2, 2-1, 2-2 type matches and quite frankly that's not gonna work. I saw very few angles being created and level changes and shots below the knee for all three of these guys. Our international posters put so much emphasis on hand fighting and controlling the center and we didn't do that either. Snyder literally tip toed the out of bounds as did Cox and it cost him dearly with the caution.

Frustrating yes. None of their performances have us clamoring to wait until the next time, we all seemed resigned that we can no longer beat these guys. It's up to the coaches to change some tactics.

JB what more can we say. The dude is a warrior. Gwiz has maxed his body's potential IMO.

2 hours ago, jp157 said:

You do realize the controversy and reaction to him not talking like that would be much higher right..

Great Post!
Sometimes people just want to not like somebody! 

But for really @nom EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD HAS TO CONTINUALLY GET BETTER OR THEY GET PASSED, LEARNING IS PART OF IMPROVING

6 minutes ago, GockeS said:

it just must be hard

b/c these guys already knew this at one point... b/c its how they USED to wrestle

now they forgot... or are just nervous.

its just hard against the best

Its impossible! 
Plain and simple. 
You win 30 matches in a row and then lose 1 and people say "Why didn't he wrestle in a way where he wins that one match, he should've known what he did the previous 30 matches wasn't going to work this time!" 
It's so idiotic. 
"I know he has a history of winning, but I know what he should be doing to actually win."
"USA Wrestling should hire me, I would tell all our athletes that if they're just more aggressive early they'll never lose" 
"Our elite level guys should know at this point they need to score more points than their opponents, I don't get why they don't just go out there and do it" 

Edited by spladle08

Gilman's post-gold interview had one mostly cogent reflection on "learning". When asked if he wanted a rematch with Uguev, he replied that (paraphrasing) If wrestling the Iranian was a fistfight, wrestling Uguev was a chess match...Uguev is really good at winning...I had scored enough points to win but he found a way to win...I'm pretty good at wrestling, and I kept wrestling, but I'm still learning how to win consistently the way Uguev does...Yes, I absolutely want the rematch. Gilman also had a not-so-cogent reference to what he's 'learning' that I didn't follow, but the first one made sense. Reflection is important. I'm not sure how much fans need to hear sincere reflection, but when we do get something thoughtful and cogent I appreciate it.

Cox' post-bronze interview revealed a more specific description of when he decided not to attack on the left, which is where he know's he's best - something about recognizing that his opponent was too comfortable there and was looking to exploit that for a counter...and that he regrets that such a thought stopped him.

As for wrestlers being gun shy/wrestling too conservatively/having too much respect for an opponent, the flip side of that is being reckless and getting countered by other elite wrestlers, kinda like Snyder did at the Olympics. We'll gripe when they're too conservative, and we'll gripe when their too reckless...