spladle08

Greco Worlds Thread ;)

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol I knew you were a little older, but "Women's Style" in a derogatory context. 
Come on LJB BE BETTER! 
:)

ha...

i did not coin the term...

i just love it...

anyone offended needs to put on their big boy pants...

**winky face**

2 minutes ago, denger said:

I will say that I enjoyed the freestyle boards more during the Olympics when you reminded us about this every day. ; )

i do what i can...

always trying to make a difference...

do my part...

i think it is just how i was raised...

7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol he hates all styles, not Greco. 
Very happy to have him around though, cause Im ashamed by my lack of Greco knowledge 

...and the persistent reminder that we're watching international styles through a Folk-colored lens - some of that is obvious to me too, some that I understand a little better now. 

1 minute ago, denger said:

...and the persistent reminder that we're watching international styles through a Folk-colored lens - some of that is obvious to me too, some that I understand a little better now. 

a tiny bit of conflating here...

but...

i will allow the sentiment...

15 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Our only hopes are Hancock and young Schultz.

I listened to Lindland's interview after day 1  and I know these coaches have to be very scripted and conciliatory   but its always the same team assessment, everyone in ten man group is wonderful, super talented, great athletes, and everyone can win gold. Just rewind the tape. 

I wish they could be more honest because maybe there really are one or two people  there under the radar in team US who are talented . Or hell maybe most of them suck and Lindlands thinking what do you expect me to do I'm not a miracle worker? It would be nice to get more of what these coaches actually think.

Do you feel Schultz can beat Kajaia? Schultz better have full grown man strength because Kajaia is that if nothing else. I don't hate his chances against Yildrim or Zarubi as long as he avoids a 10- 0  blowout type loss in the first match.

What is up with this weird template for wrestling previews?  I just finished reading an American Greco one for Oslo and I can't even tell what weights the US has its best shots at medaling after reading it. All the preview did is praise an attribute of every Greco rep and rephrased "he can medal" ten times for every entry. 

I listened to Lindland's interview after day 1  and I know these coaches have to be very scripted and conciliatory   but its always the same team assessment, everyone in ten man group is wonderful, super talented, great athletes, and everyone can win gold. Just rewind the tape. 
I wish they could be more honest because maybe there really are one or two people  there under the radar in team US who are talented . Or hell maybe most of them suck and Lindlands thinking what do you expect me to do I'm not a miracle worker? It would be nice to get more of what these coaches actually think.
Do you feel Schultz can beat Kajaia? Schultz better have full grown man strength because Kajaia is that if nothing else. I don't hate his chances against Yildrim or Zarubi as long as he avoids a 10- 0  blowout type loss in the first match.
Would be cool to hear a coach say, "overall not a lot of our guys are going to win matches but people are not ready for what this wrestler has, I really think he can place "

But naw, they are all talented and can bring back some hardware ;)

The match video of Schultz going 5-3 vs. Kajaia isn't posted yet on the UWW site for people like me living overseas. Can someone who saw it talk about how it went? I see from the scoring that Kajaia got 1-2-2, so assuming passivity and two turns, but then Schultz got 2 just a few seconds later. What happened? Was Schultz's 1 a minute into the second period from a passivity? 

Hancock looks pretty good. Was he expected to be the US' main medal opportunity in greco?
I remember he pinned Aleksanyan in like one minute but he seems quite inconsistent. 
Ljb said he was our only real medal threat. They way he's wrestling I'd have to say, great prediction

Just now, spladle08 said:
1 hour ago, The Genius said:
Hancock looks pretty good. Was he expected to be the US' main medal opportunity in greco?
I remember he pinned Aleksanyan in like one minute but he seems quite inconsistent. 

Ljb said he was our only real medal threat. They way he's wrestling I'd have to say, great prediction

Hancock's looking great. Szoke of Hungary that he's got next lost earlier this year in an Olympic qualifier to Milov that Hancock just beat.

But I'm not sure Schultz can't medal. A 5-3 loss to Kajaia is a HUGE performance. Only a few guys on earth are capable of coming that close to Kajaia or beating him. Greco heavyweight is different from freestyle or even other Greco weights. It's super predictable with clear tiers. The 10-20th best guys will virtually never come that close. It's a huge result that signals big potential things to come.

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

Hancock's looking great. Szoke of Hungary that he's got next lost earlier this year in an Olympic qualifier to Milov that Hancock just beat.

But I'm not sure Schultz can't medal. A 5-3 loss to Kajaia is a HUGE performance. Only a few guys on earth are capable of coming that close to Kajaia or beating him. Greco heavyweight is different from freestyle or even other Greco weights. It's super predictable with clear tiers. The 10-20th best guys will virtually never come that close. It's a huge result that signals big potential things to come.

I really hope he can develop into a consistent medal threat, I remember thinking he would during this youth campaign but reality kind of set in for me over the past few years. 
My optimism had been renewed 
#CHEERS

38 minutes ago, maligned said:

Szoke is only 21. He could plateau at any point but you never know how quickly wrestlers can jump levels at that age, especially this heavy. I think Hancock will win. After that he should get Saravi. Saravi is tough. I really though Sargsyan  would run through this bracket. Saravi has been right there with Evloev and he werslted him close.

Im not sure about the current state of 130 kg. Riza is the king. Then you have Kajaia, Semenov, Oscar, Acosta, Irans reps? all sort of in that next tier. How do categorize  tier that?  Kajaia is good all around but he does skirt around by close matches, he is not a scoring machine like Semenov . Kajaia  lost to Schur who isn't great not that long ago and he has never challenged Riza.  Semenov is offensive and blows people out,  including wrestlers as good as Oscar, but is inconsistent and he has a hard ceiling.  Acosta is boring and defensive, he can lose to a low tier wrestlers because of lack points put up or he could beat everyone in that second tier 1-1.  Oscar is not here. 

Schultz could win Bronze. 130 kg is really weak this year. Zurabi is no Riza and I think Kajaia pull him in. 

Edited by HawkY

just watched schultz match with kajaia...

not horrible... 

par terre is still a major deficiency for schultz (hot take i know), but, he did not look like a fish out of water for the most part...

nice to actually hear the crowd during the matches...