Sign in to follow this  
Seena

FLO Zone Camera

4 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

This shows exactly how deep their support for women's wrestling really is.

Is anyone under the idea they support anyone other than themselves?  Does anyone think they should be doing things that hurt themselves to grow the sport?

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Is anyone under the idea they support anyone other than themselves?  Does anyone think they should be doing things that hurt themselves to grow the sport?

Nobody watches women's wrestling so don't spend any money on it.
Wrestling is a boys'/men's sport so don't support state sanctioning or adding collegiate programs.

This is emblematic of the reasoning that took us to the brink of losing wresting in the Olympics and the decimation of NCAA programs country wide.

Further, looking at the UWW's financials posted just prior to the U23 worlds, it's obvious that without the money from the IOC for UWW for the Olympics ($15M), UWW wouldn't be financially viable. Not even close.

If Flow is going to own rights to broadcast, then they need to treat all three disciplines fairly.
If they simply can't, then UWW should find another broadcast partner.

10 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Nobody watches women's wrestling so don't spend any money on it.
Wrestling is a boys'/men's sport so don't support state sanctioning or adding collegiate programs.

This is emblematic of the reasoning that took us to the brink of losing wresting in the Olympics and the decimation of NCAA programs country wide.

Further, looking at the UWW's financials posted just prior to the U23 worlds, it's obvious that without the money from the IOC for UWW for the Olympics ($15M), UWW wouldn't be financially viable. Not even close.

If Flow is going to own rights to broadcast, then they need to treat all three disciplines fairly.
If they simply can't, then UWW should find another broadcast partner.

This is absurd.  

I hope Flo covers more women's wrestling and I hope more people tune in to what they do have.  

35 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I'd rather just use UWW's site for streaming. I simply don't see what value Flo adds for this tournament.

Are you able to do that without a VPN?

FLO has all the rights to the UWW tourneys. So are you choosing not to watch? 

Edited by Mphillips

36 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

As an example, let's take the U23 world championships.

I'd rather just use UWW's site for streaming. I simply don't see what value Flo adds for this tournament.

Content, marketing and promotion aside, UWW receives money from Flo, as do all of Flo's event partners, which allows them to invest more of their time and resources into their events and the sport. UWW is currently looking for more media partners in other countries so that they don't have people watching the event on their own site. Ideally they'd sell the rights to cover every corner of the globe. 

9 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Are you able to do that without a VPN?

FLO has all the rights to the UWW tourneys. So are you choosing not to watch? 

I'm a technical boy and I have a Flo account.

The question I was attempting to raise is, "What value does Flo bring to tournaments like the U23?"

Asking a genuine question:  Who here believes Flo makes a profit by covering women's wrestling?  And who believes they operate at a loss in revenue by diverting funds to cover women's wrestling?  Im gonna say its a substantial loss in revenue if you compare the cost to cover the events vs what they bring in solely based on womens wrestling.

Asking a genuine question:  Who here believes Flo makes a profit by covering women's wrestling?  And who believes they operate at a loss in revenue by diverting funds to cover women's wrestling?  Im gonna say its a substantial loss in revenue if you compare the cost to cover the events vs what they bring in solely based on womens wrestling.

I’m thinking that the answer to that question can’t be summed up in dollars and cents alone. For one, I’m guessing the rights to cover an event come as a package with all styles included. Also, what they would gain (or rather not lose) monetarily from dropping women’s coverage at an event would cost them serious PR points. I think they probably look at their “lost revenue”, if that assumption is true, as a long term investment in the women’s side, banking on its growth in popularity.

https://uww.org/governance/ordinary-congress-2021

https://cdn.uww.org/s3fs-public/2021-09/09_budget_2018-2022_en.pdf?VersionId=ulmFaxa7QMUHvP55AH7fbL09AlXruX_a

TV Rights. Line item 3 under Income.

This is dwarfed by IOC Funds - Olympic Games.Line item 6 under Income which shows $15M for last year.
Best guess is that Flo pays UWW $625K/year for all broadcast rights in the US.

Is the UWW/Flo contract in the public domain?

Make of this what you will.

1471462766_Screenshot2021-11-02at17-03-54Rapport-09_budget_2018-2022_enpdf.thumb.png.369a1743de99bca250c2d84880569182.png

Relying solely on IOC money and not finding media partners that help invest in the production, marketing, promotion and development of the sport is exactly what got the IOC to drop wrestling from their programming back in 2013. It's not a good strategy imho.

Like any other media company, Flo has limited resources, and I totally understand people criticizing Flo for not allocating their resources more heavily on the events and wrestlers that they would prefer see get more coverage. But it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for Flo not to want to see every possible aspect of the sport grow and flourish. 

I don't think Flo is perfect but I'm quite proud of the resources we've devoted to, for example, women's wrestling. It's been quite enjoyable to contribute to all the USAW and UWW events that have featured all three styles. And helping put the WNO women's card together will definitely be one of the highlights of the year for me. I feel comfortable speaking for the entire team that we're all looking forward to all the future events Flo will cover, at the high school, college and international level. 

I also welcome any other company, institution or individual to help cover the sport. It's great to see more and more people show interest in wrestling. Even better if any of them help illuminate areas of weakness where Flo can improve. 

Hope that all made sense and didn't sound combative. We're ultimately all on the same team!

55 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Relying solely on IOC money and not finding media partners that help invest in the production, marketing, promotion and development of the sport is exactly what got the IOC to drop wrestling from their programming back in 2013. It's not a good strategy imho.

Like any other media company, Flo has limited resources, and I totally understand people criticizing Flo for not allocating their resources more heavily on the events and wrestlers that they would prefer see get more coverage. But it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for Flo not to want to see every possible aspect of the sport grow and flourish. 

I don't think Flo is perfect but I'm quite proud of the resources we've devoted to, for example, women's wrestling. It's been quite enjoyable to contribute to all the USAW and UWW events that have featured all three styles. And helping put the WNO women's card together will definitely be one of the highlights of the year for me. I feel comfortable speaking for the entire team that we're all looking forward to all the future events Flo will cover, at the high school, college and international level. 

I also welcome any other company, institution or individual to help cover the sport. It's great to see more and more people show interest in wrestling. Even better if any of them help illuminate areas of weakness where Flo can improve. 

Hope that all made sense and didn't sound combative. We're ultimately all on the same team!

Please, please, please let them know again how much I hate the new web design. I am not a web designer so I do not have the vocabulary to describe clinically what is so off putting about the design, but I find I no longer want to spend any time on the website. If I decide to look for a specific thing (like an archived match or an article that gets pushed to me via email) I will do that one thing and then leave. I never spend any time browsing the site anymore. It is a shame that the front door to your company instills such a negative visceral reaction in me. And perhaps I am alone in this regard, but I get the sense from the comments of others on this board that is not the case.

13 hours ago, Yellow_Medal said:

I watch the women wrestle. Not as much as I watch men’s freestyle, but definitely more than I watch gr (no offense LJB). I hope that Flo continues to promote it.

I watch the men wrestle. Not as much as I watch women's freestyle.

I see the disparity of treatment since women's wrestling is my focus.

One example:
My daughter won WCWAs in 2019.
Flow did not record or make available any matches except the semis and finals.
When I asked Flo, "Why is that?", I received a dismissive and snotty response that was basically, "Who cares?"

5 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

I watch the men wrestle. Not as much as I watch women's freestyle.

I see the disparity of treatment since women's wrestling is my focus.

One example:
My daughter won WCWAs in 2019.
Flow did not record or make available any matches except the semis and finals.
When I asked Flo, "Why is that?", I received a dismissive and snotty response that was basically, "Who cares?"

I believe we all see the disparity. I just believe that it's gotten better. AND, it wasn't that many years ago when we weren't seeing much wrestling period, Freestyle, Greco or Folk. 

I hear what you're saying Mike, but I believe we've come a long way compared to where we were...

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I believe we all see the disparity. I just believe that it's gotten better. AND, it wasn't that many years ago when we weren't seeing much wrestling period, Freestyle, Greco or Folk. 

I hear what you're saying Mike, but I believe we've come a long way compared to where we were...

I would agree.

I believe we still have a long way to go, as well.