Sign in to follow this  
Seena

FLO Zone Camera

8 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

One example:
My daughter won WCWAs in 2019.
Flow did not record or make available any matches except the semis and finals.
When I asked Flo, "Why is that?", I received a dismissive and snotty response that was basically, "Who cares?"

I believe there was a problem with the internet in the venue in 2019. I don't have all the details so I can't tell you exactly what happened but we archived everything in 2018 and 2020, it certainly wasn't that we didn't have the intention to archive all the matches in 2019.

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

27 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I believe there was a problem with the internet in the venue in 2019. I don't have all the details so I can't tell you exactly what happened but we archived everything in 2018 and 2020, it certainly wasn't that we didn't have the intention to archive all the matches in 2019.

I was there. I know you guys were running cameras at all the mats.

None of that excuses the response I got from your customer service.

Had they explained that some of the video was accidentally lost, I'd have still been pissed, but it happens.

The dismissiveness, the disdain...

If Flo had lost the videos to the NCAA DI tournament, heads would have rolled at Flo. Since it was only the women, oh well, who cares.

That's the difference.

P.S. Are you saying you don't have local storage on site in case of an internet failure? Weeping jesus. Hire some real engineers.

Edited by Mike Parrish

33 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

P.S. Are you saying you don't have local storage on site in case of an internet failure? Weeping jesus. Hire some real engineers.

With Flo- there are two computers per mat. One for the scoring and one for the camera (MACs). All the Flo videos for a mat are on the MAC at that mat. So they can be uploaded again later.

At the Super32 finals, I understand there was a quality issue when displayed at home. Videos were reuploaded after (at least I was told they would be) as the problem wasn't on site and the videos were good.

52 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

With Flo- there are two computers per mat. One for the scoring and one for the camera (MACs). All the Flo videos for a mat are on the MAC at that mat. So they can be uploaded again later.

At the Super32 finals, I understand there was a quality issue when displayed at home. Videos were reuploaded after (at least I was told they would be) as the problem wasn't on site and the videos were good.

One of these things is not like the others....

2 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

I was there. I know you guys were running cameras at all the mats.

None of that excuses the response I got from your customer service.

Had they explained that some of the video was accidentally lost, I'd have still been pissed, but it happens.

The dismissiveness, the disdain...

If Flo had lost the videos to the NCAA DI tournament, heads would have rolled at Flo. Since it was only the women, oh well, who cares.

That's the difference.

Nowadays every stream that goes out live is saved as a 'full event replay' to avoid the problems we ran into at 2019's WCWA's. My guess (and I wasn't there so can't say anything for sure) is that the internet issues at the venue meant that Arena couldn't be linked to the stream to auto archive the event, which meant that match files had to be physically pulled from the computers at the event and manually uploaded and labeled. Hence only the semifinals and finals made it on to the site. 

It's certainly unfortunate and regrettable but I also understand that there was a chance the event would not be able to be streamed at all. 

And it's true that events get different levels of production and more resources and attention than others, but that determination has nothing to do with whether it's a men's or women's event. Final X gets a different level of production than WCWAs. Other companies are free to bid on the streaming rights to that tournament and invest more into the production. It's a fun event though so I hope Flo keeps doing it. 

I don't have an excuse or reason behind your bad experience with our customer service department. I'm sorry if they were rude or dismissive. 

11 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Nowadays every stream that goes out live is saved as a 'full event replay' to avoid the problems we ran into at 2019's WCWA's. My guess (and I wasn't there so can't say anything for sure) is that the internet issues at the venue meant that Arena couldn't be linked to the stream to auto archive the event, which meant that match files had to be physically pulled from the computers at the event and manually uploaded and labeled. Hence only the semifinals and finals made it on to the site. 

It's certainly unfortunate and regrettable but I also understand that there was a chance the event would not be able to be streamed at all. 

And it's true that events get different levels of production and more resources and attention than others, but that determination has nothing to do with whether it's a men's or women's event. Final X gets a different level of production than WCWAs. Other companies are free to bid on the streaming rights to that tournament and invest more into the production. It's a fun event though so I hope Flo keeps doing it. 

I don't have an excuse or reason behind your bad experience with our customer service department. I'm sorry if they were rude or dismissive. 

I appreciate your response and I don't mean this conversation to be aimed you personally.

I have one, fairly straightforward, question that I'd like answered.

What would have been the fallout if the NCAA DI tournament had suffered a similar loss of match videos?

Edited by Mike Parrish

12 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I appreciate your response and I don't mean this conversation to be aimed you personally.

What would have been the fallout if the NCAA DI tournament had suffered a similar loss of match videos?

ESPN produces that event and owns the media rights to it so that's a question I think you'd want to direct at them, however, If Flo did had the rights to the NCAAs then of course any failure in the production process would be catastrophic. Unfortunately there was a real world example of this back in 2017 when the site crashed during the Penn State at Oklahoma State dual. My first week on the job was literally two weeks later at EIWAs. The mood in Austin at the time was... not great. 

41 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

FFS...

one straight forward question that could only be answered based purely on conjecture...

**jumps shark**

2 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

ESPN produces that event and owns the media rights to it so that's a question I think you'd want to direct at them, however, If Flo did had the rights to the NCAAs then of course any failure in the production process would be catastrophic. Unfortunately there was a real world example of this back in 2017 when the site crashed during the Penn State at Oklahoma State dual. My first week on the job was literally two weeks later at EIWAs. The mood in Austin at the time was... not great. 

I bet.

Thanks for answering.

40 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Yet you felt the need to chime in and be a prick. Congratulations.

cry me a river...

you have been doing nothing but whine about Flo for a week because they are not doing everything exactly like you think they should be doing to appease you...

and then pose a ridiculous question that can not be answered all the while positioning yourself as making some salient point instead of looking like an average youtube commenter...

if congratulations are on offer, just take them all and try not to strain anything patting yourself on the back...

12 minutes ago, LJB said:

cry me a river...

you have been doing nothing but whine about Flo for a week because they are not doing everything exactly like you think they should be doing to appease you...

and then pose a ridiculous question that can not be answered all the while positioning yourself as making some salient point instead of looking like an average youtube commenter...

if congratulations are on offer, just take them all and try not to strain anything patting yourself on the back...

And yet, somehow, he managed to answer the question in a professional manner and to our mutual satisfaction.

I guess those kind of interactions are less frequent for you, eh?

What I see is that Flo could be so much more than it currently is.

What they currently are is a rent-seeking, low value add service on poor infrastructure.

But you seem to think that we should just be silent and grateful for what we do get, right?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/88d52cf0-fad2-4736-ad21-4b75aba91f51

No chance that we might improve things?

Walk on, Luddite.

Edited by Mike Parrish