nom

Yianni - 2021 worlds

OK, what happened?  He was shut down in his loss.  Could not break through the head hands / positioning defense.  And when he did take big risks he was countered (I need to rewatch). I tend to think he is generally, at these very very high levels, on the wrong side of the strength comparison but that is a guess.  

Expert opinions on where he needs to focus?

It was just a bad draw.

Like his domestic losses he could've turned it around if a few things panned out a little different and I'm sure it would be more competitive If they wrestled again.

But like you said, (I've only watched it that once) Tevanyan is short and explosive and when Yainni didn't finish clean (everytime) he was quick to counter and Yainni seemed, extended, out-muscled, out-hustled. It looked like Tev gave 2-****s about Yainni's scrambling ability when he (Tev) dropped to the leg, he just immediately elevated the ankle and ran through him.

I'd like to say "he wasn't prepared for his opponent" but if I know how Tev wrestles and I'm not a world level wrestler, I'm 100% sure Yainni knew exactly how he wrestled just ran into a better guy.

We knew it when the draw came out Tevanyan/Ochir(or Japan)/SHakiev.... Were increasingly difficult guys to beat and it was very unlikely he'd end up with a medal.

Yeah I feel like if they wrestle ten times, Tev may win the same way all ten times. It is just s crap style matchup for Johnny D.

Much like the Kennedy-Facundo at WNO.  I had no doubt that Kennedy would have won that match 9 more times in a row.

It is a template that Johnny D needs to address or we will see more folks use it against him.

He would have strolled to the final on the other side of the bracket, lol. But yeah it's a tough weight. Seems Russia, Japan, Armenia and the Mongolian were all close when they wrestled amongst each other. Yianni was a clear level below those guys. 

He would have strolled to the final on the other side of the bracket, lol. But yeah it's a tough weight. Seems Russia, Japan, Armenia and the Mongolian were all close when they wrestled amongst each other. Yianni was a clear level below those guys. 
He was definitely on the harder side but, stroll to the finals is a massive overstatement.
He's on the same level as:

Bienkowski/Yaz/Shuptar/Skriabin/Rahimzade/Yun/Muktarov/Osmonov

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

He was definitely on the harder side but, stroll to the finals is a massive overstatement.
He's on the same level as:

Bienkowski/Yaz/Shuptar/Skriabin/Rahimzade/Yun/Muktarov/Osmonov

Don't think so, he already beat Rahimzadeh easily before. Definitely better than Yazdani and Osmonov. Yeah i'd put him as a good favourite over all those guys. 

Don't think so, he already beat Rahimzadeh easily before. Definitely better than Yazdani and Osmonov. Yeah i'd put him as a good favourite over all those guys. 
Yeah, I think he's a level below most of the guys on the side he ended up on but he "could" upset any of them .

I think you're right, he's slightly above probably everyone on the other side, but they "could" upset him... Basically the entire other-side was Joey McKenna.... You expect Yainni to win but if he drops 1 of 4 you wouldn't be surprised .

Just now, spladle08 said:

Yeah, I think he's a level below most of the guys on the side he ended up on but he "could" upset any of them .

I think you're right, he's slightly above probably everyone on the other side, but they "could" upset him... Basically the entire other-side was Joey McKenna.... You expect Yainni to win but if he drops 1 of 4 you wouldn't be surprised .

That's a good way to put it. I have spoken about how Bajrang generally seems to have lucked into some easier brackets over the years but this recent one without him was one of the most 1 sided brackets I have ever seen. 

That's a good way to put it. I have spoken about how Bajrang generally seems to have lucked into some easier brackets over the years but this recent one without him was one of the most 1 sided brackets I have ever seen. 
Bajrang really does somehow always get the best draw, without question.

I think he greases the tournament director

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Bajrang really does somehow always get the best draw, without question.

I think he greases the tournament director

The thing i'm upset about is that we never got to see Bajrang vs Musukaev at a worlds or olympics. That match up is fascinating to me. Does Musukaev destroy him before he gets tired? Cause i'm sure Musukaev out classes him when both are fresh, but there's no way he can wrestle with Bajrang for 6 minutes without fading hard. If he can't tech him, can he get a big enough lead to hold when he inevitably gasses? It's a shame we never got to see that match, I really wanted to  just because of how different their strengths are. 

15 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

The thing i'm upset about is that we never got to see Bajrang vs Musukaev at a worlds or olympics. That match up is fascinating to me. Does Musukaev destroy him before he gets tired? Cause i'm sure Musukaev out classes him when both are fresh, but there's no way he can wrestle with Bajrang for 6 minutes without fading hard. If he can't tech him, can he get a big enough lead to hold when he inevitably gasses? It's a shame we never got to see that match, I really wanted to  just because of how different their strengths are. 

Have you noticed a change in Musukeav's style?? 
I feel like recently he is still very explosive when he does attack but he has slowed his attack rate. I would assume to conserve his gas-tank but it doesn't seem to work,  by the end of matches he's never the same guy. 
I'd be surprised if he could beat Bajrang over 6 minutes, and I think Bajrang is just too scrambly to let Mus tech him before gassing out . 

8 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Have you noticed a change in Musukeav's style?? 
I feel like recently he is still very explosive when he does attack but he has slowed his attack rate. I would assume to conserve his gas-tank but it doesn't seem to work,  by the end of matches he's never the same guy. 
I'd be surprised if he could beat Bajrang over 6 minutes, and I think Bajrang is just too scrambly to let Mus tech him before gassing out . 

He'd gas for sure if he doesn't finish it early, and I don't think he techs Bajrang early, but I duno.. Would you be surprised if he got a big lead, faded hard, but just about held on with some creative cheating to win a close one by a point or on critiera? It is a fun match, wish it would have happened at least once. 

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

He'd gas for sure if he doesn't finish it early, and I don't think he techs Bajrang early, but I duno.. Would you be surprised if he got a big lead, faded hard, but just about held on with some creative cheating to win a close one by a point or on critiera? It is a fun match, wish it would have happened at least once. 

I'd be surprised. 
Bajrang just keeps going and he makes you engage. 
Muz would be worthless after the 3rd minutes, I see him losing by a considerable amount even if he had a 5-6 point lead early 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Also you're right! 
It will be wonderful if we ever see it 

4 hours ago, nom said:

I tend to think he is generally, at these very very high levels, on the wrong side of the strength comparison but that is a guess.  

Looked like the was not strong enough to break through, agreed.  Maybe try the JS low single from space?

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is there something to be said for peaking at a world championship.  Yanni has been most successful at exhibitions against international competition, then he has found success albeit maybe not as highly at international tournaments and like other Americans (particularly at this weight) the peaking competition is another level come worlds.

18 minutes ago, Class said:

Is there something to be said for peaking at a world championship.  Yanni has been most successful at exhibitions against international competition, then he has found success albeit maybe not as highly at international tournaments and like other Americans (particularly at this weight) the peaking competition is another level come worlds.

There's always something to be said for peaking at the right time. 
But don't let Yainni beating Bajrang in that exhibition or outlasting Mus after being a hair away from being teched  be your measuring stick.
We have a couple guys who can wrestle the very top guys close and could pull upsets under the right circumstances. 
The issue is. That TOP TOP TOP Tier. has like 5-6 guys who are clearly better than us and we would need to wrestle above our level to stay in the match. 
Then there's another tier after that, with 3-4 guys who are  slightly better than us, then there's another tier after that with 5-10 guys about even with us. 
We would need a favorable draw.
It's just so hard to lose early and depend on that person to pull you back into the repechage at this weight. 
And even if you do get pulled back in, whoever you get for bronze is going to be a monster, when the weight is full again next year, I can't see a medal without one of those terribly one sided brackets that we get sometimes 

Edited by spladle08

1 hour ago, Class said:

Other than the Bajrang exhibition, I can't remember him looking great in any exhibitions.  Maybe I am forgetting some? He lost to Khinchegashvili in one.  Even with Bajrang, there was some questionable scoring and Bajrang may have been a bit worn our from wrestling on three continents in three weeks.  (Think of the talk of the quick turnaround from Tokyo to Oslo for our guys; Bajrang did three continents in three weeks)

Yianni has been mostly great at ranking tournaments, but has taken mulitple domestic losses to three different opponents in the last year or so.

3 hours ago, mspart said:

Maybe he needs more time.  He's still in college for crying out loud. 

mspart

That didn't stop Frederick from winning it.  Or Cejudo.  Or Otoguro. Or Saban TRSTENA .  Or Togrul ASGAROV.  Or Abdulrashid SADULAEV.

And a bunch of others....

8 hours ago, nom said:

OK, what happened?  He was shut down in his loss.  Could not break through the head hands / positioning defense.  And when he did take big risks he was countered (I need to rewatch). I tend to think he is generally, at these very very high levels, on the wrong side of the strength comparison but that is a guess.  

Expert opinions on where he needs to focus?

No triceps.  Never gonna win without any.