Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

Are Olympic/World Team Scores Always Based on Discipline?

I was just curious if team scores have always been based on a specific discipline rather than the all of the disciplines combined? It seems like the FS race was a hot topic, but I didn't know if all of the events played a role.  Like the US would be really strong with FS and Women's, etc.?

4 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

I was just curious if team scores have always been based on a specific discipline rather than the all of the disciplines combined? It seems like the FS race was a hot topic, but I didn't know if all of the events played a role.  Like the US would be really strong with FS and Women's, etc.?

I believe so. 
Like men's and women's anything (Isn't that how it goes in all individual sports since they're entirely 2 different teams in 2 different events)
Swimming, gymnastics, etc... 
Gymnastics would probably be the easiest comparison. I'm sure some of the men would like the women to carry them to a team title/medal. 
but I don't know of any men's/women's teams combined recognition. 

6 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I believe so. 
Like men's and women's anything (Isn't that how it goes in all individual sports since they're entirely 2 different teams in 2 different events)
Swimming, gymnastics, etc... 
Gymnastics would probably be the easiest comparison. I'm sure some of the men would like the women to carry them to a team title/medal. 
but I don't know of any men's/women's teams combined recognition. 

That makes sense.  Thanks!

To what extent do the three styles share resources and structures? It's nice for us to be able to say "we're a strong second" in both MFS and Women's, and we can be proud of that overall, but I don't know if that kind of measure is particularly useful when comparing ourselves to countries that are even more segregated by gender. 

Team USA presumably shares more stuff than many countries - I certainly enjoy the apparent camaraderie between our team members in all three sports, but I don't see that as much in other countries. 

Well, the 'total points' of all the 'countries' as of right now for all 'three' styles:

PLACE COUNTRY POINTS
1 Russian Wrestling Federation 337
2 United States 329
3 Japan 260
4 Iran 242
5 Kyrgyzstan 128
6 Mongolia 128
7 Turkey 127
8 Azerbaijan 126
9 Ukraine 114
10 Georgia 93
11 Poland 89
12 India 87
13 Belarus 85
14 Germany 81
15 Armenia 80
16 Moldova 79
17 Bulgaria 67
18 Kazakhstan 62
19 Canada 53
20 Sweden 41
21 Hungary 40
22 France 32
23 Slovakia 30
24 Estonia 26
25 Egypt 21
26 Lithuania 19
T27 Brazil 18
T27 Romania 18
29 Serbia 16
30 Puerto Rico 14
T31 Nigeria 12
T31 North Macedonia 12
T33 Chile 10
T33 Czech Republic 10
T33 Ecuador 10
T33 Italy 10
37 Greece 8
T38 Mexico 6
T38 South Korea 6
T38 Spain 6
T41 Brunei 2
T41 Great Britian 2
T41 Norway 2
T41 Tajikistan 2

21 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

see? 

Russia Greco points 130

USA 19

Their Greco scores basically covers for their women's scores(64) and our women's score(147) covers for our greco scores or lack of scores...

Except Russia's women were competitive. They were 7th out of 36, in the hunt for 3rd place team, put 4 in medal matches, and had 7/10 place top-10

USA Greco was 18th out of 49, and 7/10 didn't win a single match. It's surprising to me how close USA is to Russia in combined scores. 

15 hours ago, denger said:

Except Russia's women were competitive. They were 7th out of 36, in the hunt for 3rd place team, put 4 in medal matches, and had 7/10 place top-10

USA Greco was 18th out of 49, and 7/10 didn't win a single match. It's surprising to me how close USA is to Russia in combined scores. 

I know, but that's Russia's lowest team score.  Had to compare it with something lol