Katie

The future of women’s college wrestling

If more Power 5 schools besides Iowa go in on women’s wrestling, it has the potential to get really interesting.

Because women compete in freestyle, it allows for competitions with Canadian collegians, and it allows schools to recruit wrestlers from other countries.

Seems like an incredible opportunity to capture some initiative in the development of women’s wrestling.  

Edited by Katie

19 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Comes down to the culture of the university and money. Because of history, I’m not surprised Iowa wanted to be first. 

They wanted to be first because they got sued over a Title IX complaint, and this was part of the agreement for rectifying the situation.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

They wanted to be first because they got sued over a Title IX complaint, and this was part of the agreement for rectifying the situation.

Was that the impetus to add or were they already planning on it?  They seem to be fostering a more inclusive culture for the last few years.  You seem tied in with good knowledge of the program

4 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Was that the impetus to add or were they already planning on it?  They seem to be fostering a more inclusive culture for the last few years.  You seem tied in with good knowledge of the program

The AD said multiple times in interviews it was added because of the lawsuit. 

11 minutes ago, cowcards15 said:

The AD said multiple times in interviews it was added because of the lawsuit. 

Thanks for the update.  I have always believed a good outcome is a good outcome regardless of the motivation.  Not a fan of womens sports minus gymnastics but this is a good thing for wrestling

The circumstances around Iowa adding the sport should temper any excitement about a potential boom in big time college women's wrestling. A couple of full time coaches, a national travel schedule, and 10 full scholarships is an expensive ask coming after COVID.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:16 AM, Katie said:

If more Power 5 schools besides Iowa go in on women’s wrestling, it has the potential to get really interesting.

Because women compete in freestyle, it allows for competitions with Canadian collegians, and it allows schools to recruit wrestlers from other countries.

Seems like an incredible opportunity to capture some initiative in the development of women’s wrestling.  

Wrestlers from other countries who get paid to wrestle aren't going to be flocking here to pay money to attend school and wrestle. 

13 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Wrestlers from other countries who get paid to wrestle aren't going to be flocking here to pay money to attend school and wrestle. 

Woman wrestlers make good money in countries? Maybe Japan, but I would be surprised elsewhere. US colleges are able to recruit international male students for soccer, hockey, track and field, tennis etc. Sports were there is definitely money for men.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Woman wrestlers make good money in countries? Maybe Japan, but I would be surprised elsewhere. US colleges are able to recruit international male students for soccer, hockey, track and field, tennis etc. Sports were there is definitely money for men.

In my wife's home country even juniors get paid. It's different because they don't directly pay them but they pay their families or something. She had teammates that hated wrestling but only did it for the paycheck. But they were being paid to be in the military technically. If any of them had quit wrestling then the paycheck stops coming. Also they got various bonuses and such for winning tournaments. If you're getting paid to just wrestle why would you give that up? 

4 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

If you're getting paid to just wrestle why would you give that up? 

Maybe for a world class education? USA is still the best in the world for higher ed. 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, Katie said:

Are we sure that it needs to be Power 5 to be interesting? There haven't been any before Iowa, right?...and it still got a good start in smaller schools.

I teach at a D2 school that attracts international talent in swimming, triathlon, rugby, Track & CC, soccer, golf, Canadian lacrosse players, and some Euro women in field hockey. Triathlon, swimming, track & field, have seen Junior World reps, and we've had a handful of Olympians (from other countries) I'll be curious to see to what extent we get international women wrestling NCAA - It strikes me that most of the sports I listed above are for the privileged. The international students I've met are really great - usually around 3.5GPA, intellectually curious and well-reasoned, good math & science backgrounds, often multi-lingual. Many of them try to stick around after they graduate, too. They're all terrified that they'll get sick and end up in a hospital, or get shot...and end up in a hospital, but otherwise they're really happy to be here! I don't think many are on a full-ride, though. There's still a bill to pay, and there isn't much difference between state schools and private schools for international students

I think there's a lot of attractive things about coming to the US to wrestle at a university. I really don't know whether it appeals to women wrestling elsewhere. Like TripNsweep said, if they're getting paid and helping their family, and they're comparing that to a discounted but not free education, it'd be a tough call - especially if the family needs that income and doesn't have the funds to cover the remainder of an education. 

39 minutes ago, denger said:

Maybe for a world class education? USA is still the best in the world for higher ed. 

Are we sure that it needs to be Power 5 to be interesting? There haven't been any before Iowa, right?...and it still got a good start in smaller schools.

I teach at a D2 school that attracts international talent in swimming, triathlon, rugby, Track & CC, soccer, golf, Canadian lacrosse players, and some Euro women in field hockey. Triathlon, swimming, track & field, have seen Junior World reps, and we've had a handful of Olympians (from other countries) I'll be curious to see to what extent we get international women wrestling NCAA - It strikes me that most of the sports I listed above are for the privileged. The international students I've met are really great - usually around 3.5GPA, intellectually curious and well-reasoned, good math & science backgrounds, often multi-lingual. Many of them try to stick around after they graduate, too. They're all terrified that they'll get sick and end up in a hospital, or get shot...and end up in a hospital, but otherwise they're really happy to be here! I don't think many are on a full-ride, though. There's still a bill to pay, and there isn't much difference between state schools and private schools for international students

I think there's a lot of attractive things about coming to the US to wrestle at a university. I really don't know whether it appeals to women wrestling elsewhere. Like TripNsweep said, if they're getting paid and helping their family, and they're comparing that to a discounted but not free education, it'd be a tough call - especially if the family needs that income and doesn't have the funds to cover the remainder of an education. 

A degree is a degree. Most people don't come here from Europe unless they're privileged or insanely talented at certain sports. Most of the top women wrestlers aren't going to waste time coming here to go to college when they can just stay where they are and focus on just wrestling. You might get some marginal talent, but there's not going to be a flood of top world level talent coming here. The ones who do come here are sponsored privately or by their country and are at an RTC. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

A degree is a degree. Most people don't come here from Europe unless they're privileged or insanely talented at certain sports. Most of the top women wrestlers aren't going to waste time coming here to go to college when they can just stay where they are and focus on just wrestling. You might get some marginal talent, but there's not going to be a flood of top world level talent coming here. The ones who do come here are sponsored privately or by their country and are at an RTC. 

I don't recall anyone saying there would be a "flood of top world level talent coming here."  What I actually said is still in my OP: "Because women compete in freestyle, it allows for competitions with Canadian collegians, and it allows schools to recruit wrestlers from other countries."  It's a fairly modest idea.

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

I’m not suggesting it will be a flood, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see some international students in the equation. I’m questioning whether it will be attractive to women wrestlers. I won’t pretend to know the socioeconomic standing of international women wrestlers, but it’s often a working-class sport. The international student athletes I’ve met are indeed privileged. So, I don’t know if a partial scholarship would make it accessible, let alone attractive. I imagine the RTC model adds value. It’s obviously more attractive to come over for women’s freestyle than it is for young men and the prospect of folk style - which is pretty rare.

9 hours ago, denger said:

I’m not suggesting it will be a flood, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see some international students in the equation. I’m questioning whether it will be attractive to women wrestlers. I won’t pretend to know the socioeconomic standing of international women wrestlers, but it’s often a working-class sport. The international student athletes I’ve met are indeed privileged. So, I don’t know if a partial scholarship would make it accessible, let alone attractive. I imagine the RTC model adds value. It’s obviously more attractive to come over for women’s freestyle than it is for young men and the prospect of folk style - which is pretty rare.

Before my wife stopped wrestling and was here, she got numerous offers to compete in college. She never gave it any serious thought and told every single one no thank you politely. I asked her why and she said if she was going to keep wrestling, that was going to be 100% her focus. She didn't want to pay money, a large amount considering how inexpensive college is back home, to wrestle and also have to attend classes. Had she not badly hurt her shoulder, she would have just picked an RTC and gone that route.  

46 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Are there enough high school girls programs/wrestlers to facilitate all Power 5 schools to offer wrestling? Or is that a question that is not wanted/warranted/allowed to be asked?

There are 69 Power 5 football schools and ~ 22,000 female HS wrestlers.  Is that a Yea or a Nay?  1% of 22000 is 220.  220/69 ~= 3.2, so it seems like a Nay.

Edited by Plasmodium

Before my wife stopped wrestling and was here, she got numerous offers to compete in college. She never gave it any serious thought and told every single one no thank you politely. I asked her why and she said if she was going to keep wrestling, that was going to be 100% her focus. She didn't want to pay money, a large amount considering how inexpensive college is back home, to wrestle and also have to attend classes. Had she not badly hurt her shoulder, she would have just picked an RTC and gone that route.  

"My wife didn't do it, so nobody else will want to," is not a very persuasive argument.

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Are there enough high school girls programs/wrestlers to facilitate all Power 5 schools to offer wrestling? Or is that a question that is not wanted/warranted/allowed to be asked?

There are not enough girls that want to wrestle in college to fill the roster spots that are available now.

If the Power 5 schools did add women's wrestling it would be the death of D3 women's programs. 

At this exact moment, if you started 70 teams tomorrow, you'd have some issues roster filling to get every school up to 30-40 over night. But when you get a generations worth of kids going to college, that will only increase. The numbers at the HS level will only go up as well. 

8 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

At this exact moment, if you started 70 teams tomorrow, you'd have some issues roster filling to get every school up to 30-40 over night. But when you get a generations worth of kids going to college, that will only increase. The numbers at the HS level will only go up as well. 

In general, as soon as a state HS assn endorses, the numbers in that state rise drastically. I work with USAW/NJ. We had been taking at most about 6 girls to Fargo each year until 2019 (first year endorsed) when we had 10/11. This past summer even with what we thought would be some very tough covid related conditions we brought 30! Guys were up some also but nothing like that.

So the point is that girls HS numbers will likely increase drastically as states sanction.