Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

How much credit can NLWC take for Maroulis?

Recommended Posts

Is the question, how much credit does the NLWC get for one of the most dominant female wrestlers we've had losing the match we expected her to lose at the Olympics and then winning an unexpectedly watered down worlds bracket? 
I guess as much as they want... 
But I think she would've been able to win regardless of the program she was a part of 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Is the question, how much credit does the NLWC get for one of the most dominant female wrestlers we've had losing the match we expected her to lose at the Olympics and then winning an unexpectedly watered down worlds bracket? 
I guess as much as they want... 
But I think she would've been able to win regardless of the program she was a part of 

Which seems to be almost as many programs as Sammy Henson. Valentin Kalika, Oklahoma State, MD, NLWC, any more? 

Edited by AHamilton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Which seems to be almost as many programs as Sammy Henson. Valentin Kalika, Oklahoma State, MD, NLWC, any more? 
I dunno man.
For whatever reason, I'm just very anti "who gets credit"
The people who deserve the credit seemingly never get it or ask for it.

Like all our fans wanting to combined men's and women's to say "we won an overall title" I feel like it's generally just people wanting to feel more important than they are.

Clearly it made a difference for Gilman, claim Gilman .
But Snyder and Helen performing like they always do. I guess they did a good job of fulfilling expectations. But I'd give the credit to the person who built them up to their first titles.

Jden Cox could go prepare in his garage for a month and come back and wrestle and medal again in the exact same bracket. May win it..... But that Garage WC doesnt get credit no matter how many people are fanboys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2021 at 10:22 PM, spladle08 said:

Jden Cox could go prepare in his garage for a month and come back and wrestle and medal again in the exact same bracket. May win it..... But that Garage WC doesnt get credit no matter how many people are fanboys.

Now waiting for that “Garage Trained” shirt to come out.  

I always felt those type of “trained” shirts were overly pretentious.  Especially sense the said coach clearly  wasn’t the only one involved in a wrestlers entire development.    

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2021 at 9:22 PM, spladle08 said:

I dunno man.
For whatever reason, I'm just very anti "who gets credit"
The people who deserve the credit seemingly never get it or ask for it.

Like all our fans wanting to combined men's and women's to say "we won an overall title" I feel like it's generally just people wanting to feel more important than they are.

Clearly it made a difference for Gilman, claim Gilman .
But Snyder and Helen performing like they always do. I guess they did a good job of fulfilling expectations. But I'd give the credit to the person who built them up to their first titles.

Jden Cox could go prepare in his garage for a month and come back and wrestle and medal again in the exact same bracket. May win it..... But that Garage WC doesnt get credit no matter how many people are fanboys.

You ever judge someone’s wrestling knowledge on whether they know who the quieter high level coaches are? I’ve been finding myself doing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You ever judge someone’s wrestling knowledge on whether they know who the quieter high level coaches are? I’ve been finding myself doing it
100% it's weird how many people only pay attention to the very surface level (in any sport, hell in anything)

I know wrestling and I get disappointed when people only know the bare minimum and then try to have a debate.

Your comment made me realize why this chick I would always hang out with got so frustrated with me when we'd discuss movies and I didn't know one thing about the directors.

I feel dumber. Now .

#Cheers


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

If we're assigning credit, basically none. She almost didn't make the team when she was at NLWC and got smashed at her tuneup. She quickly turned things around once she moved to Sunkist with Perry. Good work by Perry to undo the damage NLWC did.

Was that during her concussion years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Plasmodium said:

Was that during her concussion years?

No. I think she moved to NLWC during covid at some point and left immediately following the tune up tournament. If we're being honest, the resurgence was probably 75% getting healthy and 25% being around several other high level women wrestlers at Sunkist. I don't think she had a consistent high level training environment since Kalika before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

100% it's weird how many people only pay attention to the very surface level (in any sport, hell in anything)

I know wrestling and I get disappointed when people only know the bare minimum and then try to have a debate.

Your comment made me realize why this chick I would always hang out with got so frustrated with me when we'd discuss movies and I didn't know one thing about the directors.

I feel dumber. Now .

#Cheers

 

I think I get frustrated more with the people pretending to be deep but aren’t. The try hard youth coaches and dad’s especially 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think I get frustrated more with the people pretending to be deep but aren’t. The try hard youth coaches and dad’s especially 
I've had a few Sunday football beers so you mentioning youth parents and coaches almost set me off into a 3 page story which ends with one of the kids I coached getting beat in the state finals and I couldn't have been happier about how it happened.

That story will be told another day .

But yes, everyone knows what's best... They don't know why but they know that's what they think and they need to be heard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I've had a few Sunday football beers so you mentioning youth parents and coaches almost set me off into a 3 page story which ends with one of the kids I coached getting beat in the state finals and I couldn't have been happier about how it happened.

That story will be told another day .

But yes, everyone knows what's best... They don't know why but they know that's what they think and they need to be heard

Hahaha, I can guess pretty closely about that story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, Obelix said:

Mike Jones! He's the epitome of the kind of coach previously mentioned: the guy who deserves the credit but never wants or asks for it. 

 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Who?!?

Back then they didn’t want him.  But now he’s hot they all on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...