wrstlingfan937

Austin Mad Man Desanto

31 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He could’ve walked away a ncaa champ and hero to Rutgers and NJ but instead is probably returning to a place he left , going down a weight from where he was champ and trying to help penn state win a team title and trying to stop Lee from being a 4x timer 

Its like you think clumsily restating my argument would support a point you aren't even stating.....

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

If he was passing up a guaranteed title at 133, then this would look more heroic. Probably tougher to make the finals at 133 than 125 though.

In the end, I don't really care about what his motivation is. If we get to see 2-3 Suriano-Lee matches this year, we all win.

You think the coaches on both sides let them wrestle 3x in a season?  Someone is ducking at least one match.  They wrestle 2x this year at best imo.

7 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

You think the coaches on both sides let them wrestle 3x in a season?  Someone is ducking at least one match.  They wrestle 2x this year at best imo.

You see Brands or Cael just giving up 6 points in the big ten dual or national duals ? 

14 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You see Brands or Cael just giving up 6 points in the big ten dual or national duals ? 

I agree with him. I don't think Brands lets a knee-less Lee wrestle Suriano 4x. He'll save it for Big 10s and nationals. I expect to see a lot less of Lee this year than we have in the past. 

30 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well we may this year find out who is the bigger ducker ... Tommie or Carl. 

27 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I agree with him. I don't think Brands lets a knee-less Lee wrestle Suriano 4x. He'll save it for Big 10s and nationals. I expect to see a lot less of Lee this year than we have in the past. 

I have a hard time seeing either coach agree to go to the national duals and not doing everything imaginable to win 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

They absolutely would. I remember Brands pulling their 184 against Herbert a few yrs back, which led to Iowa's first dual team loss to NU in decades (maybe ever?), out of concern his confidence would get damaged. Add to that the fact that nobody cares about dual meets. It's all about Big Tens and NCAAs.

It's pretty notable that Iowa has the December dual event on their schedule as Rokfin Duals and Penn State has them as Collegiate Duals, not as National Duals. I have a sneaking suspicion that the format will not be what we think it will be, and they will not be facing each other. Just a gut feeling.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's pretty notable that Iowa has the December dual event on their schedule as Rokfin Duals and Penn State has them as Collegiate Duals, not as National Duals. I have a sneaking suspicion that the format will not be what we think it will be, and they will not be facing each other. Just a gut feeling.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/24839…if this article is correct the only way they don’t hit is if one of them loses 

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/24839…if this article is correct the only way they don’t hit is if one of them loses 
That's from August 3, before Penn State had committed, and notably, the release called them the National Duals, which neither Iowa nor Penn State identify them as now. Like I said, gut instinct.

24 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

That's from August 3, before Penn State had committed, and notably, the release called them the National Duals, which neither Iowa nor Penn State identify them as now. Like I said, gut instinct.

Well you can go with your gut all you want , but the journeyman website and social media still has the same teams listed and same format

11 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I could see NS ducking but not Lee.  If I recall he wrestled NATO three times his first year.

Well you can go with your gut all you want , but the journeyman website and social media still has the same teams listed and same format

Penn State’s schedule has them there that weekend.

PSU in, Michigan out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Penn State’s schedule has them there that weekend.

PSU in, Michigan out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, the guy I was responding to says his gut says penn state and Iowa won’t wrestle at national duals, I was just sending the link to show him the format which shows unless one of the 2 loses then they will hit in the finals 

35 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I know, the guy I was responding to says his gut says penn state and Iowa won’t wrestle at national duals, I was just sending the link to show him the format which shows unless one of the 2 loses then they will hit in the finals 

Lol, imagine Tom sitting out 6/10 starters in the semi finals just to avoid that scenario.

Edit: sarcasm. I don't think this happens and it would frustrate me to no end if it somehow came to fruition but it would be kinda funny

Sure, like I said, just my opinion, I don't think the format will be as previously advertised.  Maybe @Husker_Du can set me straight, maybe I'm just being paranoid about the name thing.  I don't think it's a coddling thing or a fear thing.  I think the two programs don't like each other and they do not have to compete against each other here, since they already have a dual scheduled.

I recognize there can be strategic benefits. But I lose great respect for those that would duck an opponent under any circumstance.  

What I have a tremendous amount of respect for is the opposite - bumping up to take on a better wrestler.  Both Seth Gross (against Bryce Meredith) and Sebastian Rivera (against Micic) did this and I have rooted for them ever since.  Simply because of that.

3 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I recognize there can be strategic benefits. But I lose great respect for those that would duck an opponent under any circumstance.  

What’s your definition of ‘ducking’? If someone is injured and chooses not to compete is that ducking?

13 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

What’s your definition of ‘ducking’? If someone is injured and chooses not to compete is that ducking?

If its an injury that would prompt them to avoid wrestling any opponent, thats not ducking.  Thats being legitimately hurt.  But most wrestlers have some small issue here and there.  If they are choosing not to wrestle an elite opponent because they have a minor injury, whereas they would have otherwise wrestled a lower quality opponent.  That qualifies as ducking to me.  

Spencer Lee has no ACLs. He can compete, but he is clearly impaired. I have no problem with Brands sitting him out for duals and saving him for B1Gs and NCAAs. Doing so is not only a sign of respect for Suriano but also for Lee. Lee gets to decide what he wants to do with his knee. But Brand gets to decide how much Lee can compete and when. He should sit Lee against any opponent he thinks might end Lee's season prematurely until the big tournaments that count the most.

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Also of note, these Rokfin Duals/National Duals/Collegiate Duals are scheduled for December 20-21.  Will Suriano even be there, if he does rejoin Penn State?

No

Anyone who think desanto has no chance of winning it all is not being honest with themselves. He is very talented, and while a second tier contender realistically, can still beat anyone. He might also decide to bite someone and get ejected from the tournament because he is desanto. We will have to wait and see how it all plays out.