Lurker

Can't believe no mention of KJ

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Anyone with goofy last names will be heading there real soon.

UofM will be our Dagestan as far as outsourcing talent goes.

This is clearly a sign for @MedicineManto photoshop the wool Papakha hats from Dagestan onto the coaching Michigan staff.  

Edited by MadMardigain

I am super stoked for this.  The man was responsible for developing high school/pre-university kids at the OTC.  I expect to see some big recruits with heavy freestyle aspirations to head there that we might not have expected to go there before.

I imagine Cox splitting time has a lot to do with this.  I guarantee you KJ was open with Cox about this.  Now if Cox heads to Ann Arbor with KJ, that room... lethal man.

Olympian at 57kg.
Olympic medalists at 86kg, 92kg.
#2 rank in the world at 79kg.
Guy who pinned the 2021 World Champ at heavyweight at Junior Worlds 2 years ago at 125kg.

Just to start.

I am sure he is a great guy but I would be more worried about the loss of Russell than excited about his hire. National coach for 2 cycles and we sucked the entire time. Iowa State got progressively worse each year he was the head coach. Maybe some guys are more suited to be assistant coaches. Hopefully this is the case but his track record really isn't that impressive. 

4 minutes ago, wpialchamp said:

I am sure he is a great guy but I would be more worried about the loss of Russell than excited about his hire. National coach for 2 cycles and we sucked the entire time. Iowa State got progressively worse each year he was the head coach. Maybe some guys are more suited to be assistant coaches. Hopefully this is the case but his track record really isn't that impressive. 

You bring up a valid point but you left out the other side of the coin.  I don't know if that was intentional to only focus on the negative or what?  His track record as a head coach is not great.  His track record of developing talent is phenomenal.  We didn't have a good stretch when he was National teams coach.  But when he was at OTC as developmental coach, our cadet and juniors have had among the best runs ever at the age group level.  Slay, Cox, etc........he's shown he can develop talent, which will be his role at UM and CLWC, as opposed to a CEO type role.  

1 hour ago, wpialchamp said:

“Over [Jackson’s] tenure (2017-21), the USA development program had its best world results in its history. Jackson led cadet and junior world team athletes to 43 of 73 possible medals (55 percent), while 40 percent won gold medals.”

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, Katie said:

“Over [Jackson’s] tenure (2017-21), the USA development program had its best world results in its history. Jackson led cadet and junior world team athletes to 43 of 73 possible medals (55 percent), while 40 percent won gold medals.”

Tough to give him the credit for that success when the Regional Training Centers got funded and kept most of those athletes training on campuses. Hard to deny the impact of the Regional Training Centers influence.

At one time not long ago there was talk of Cox being our p4p best, unseating Kyle Snyder and being the only person on the planet with a chance to beat Sadulaev. Do you think there is a possible argument that Cox has not gotten better?

Unrelated but I didn't even realize Beloglazov was at Michigan.  I wrestled with his son growing up and Sergei the father would occasionally drop by practice and do something astonishing.  I remember him doing about 20 one armed chinups.  One arm unassisted (no holding it with his other arm).  We were all just kids and thought it was cool but he never explained (nor did our coach) exactly who this guy was.  The family was humble and kind.  Sorry for this tangent.  I realize this is completely off topic.  I'm having am old man moment. 

Edited by flyingcement

36 minutes ago, wpialchamp said:

Tough to give him the credit for that success when the Regional Training Centers got funded and kept most of those athletes training on campuses. Hard to deny the impact of the Regional Training Centers influence.

At one time not long ago there was talk of Cox being our p4p best, unseating Kyle Snyder and being the only person on the planet with a chance to beat Sadulaev. Do you think there is a possible argument that Cox has not gotten better?

So there's my answer....only interested in negativity.  Thank you for clearing that up.

(PS-that talk of Cox possibly being our best pound 4 pound guy came after he had spent some time training with KJ, not before he started training intently with KJ.  But don't let that get in your way.  And when you talk about it being hard to deny the impact of the RTC influence, don't forget to mention KJ's role in the development of this system and its impact in the age group/elite accelerator program.)

Edited by Lurker