Lurker

Can't believe no mention of KJ

22 hours ago, wpialchamp said:

I am sure he is a great guy but I would be more worried about the loss of Russell than excited about his hire. National coach for 2 cycles and we sucked the entire time. Iowa State got progressively worse each year he was the head coach. Maybe some guys are more suited to be assistant coaches. Hopefully this is the case but his track record really isn't that impressive. 

In my opinion KJ is simply not the big-picture CEO type that is required to run a national program at a high level. That's very different than being an assistant to one of the best CEO's in college wrestling in Sean Bormet though. I think he will excel in this role and be an absolute beast for them on the recruiting trail. 

Great hire, and out of nowhere seemingly.  He's a very strong coach on an individual basis, has great rapport with the current cadet crop. 

I would have thought he might look for another head coaching opportunity, didn't envision him being on the block for something like this.  

Mendez posted a pic of the two of them and congratulations.  Mendez has said RTC and olympic aspirations are big to him.  Mendez has spent a decent amount of time with KJ.  Michigan has a three time world and olympic champ, six time world and olympic champ on staff, three Olympians and junior world champ on the roster.  Two of those athletes are from northern indiana.

This move has to elevate them in the Mendez sweepstakes.

Edited by Lurker

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This move has to elevate them in the Mendez sweepstakes.

And IU is working on finalizing a deal to get the entire Iranian and Russian coaching staff and athletes to Bloomington.  I think the outstanding fall foliage will win them over.  ;)

Edited by MadMardigain

19 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

And IU is working on finalizing a deal to get the entire Iranian and Russian coaching staff and athletes to Bloomington.  I think the outstanding fall foliage will win them over.  ;)

For awhile I was thinking IU might be sitting in a pretty good position.  I don't know anymore.  When you have RTC's like NLWC and CKWC pulling for you and the track record of staff and athletes on the senior level that they have........choosing IU seems like a tough tough proposition.

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

For awhile I was thinking IU might be sitting in a pretty good position.  I don't know anymore.  When you have RTC's like NLWC and CKWC pulling for you and the track record of staff and athletes on the senior level that they have........choosing IU seems like a tough tough proposition.

I'm 100% a  fan of RTCs, but man they make the recruiting race tough to compete in. 

*Also Great Hire 

Just now, spladle08 said:

I'm 100% a  fan of RTCs, but man they make the recruiting race tough to compete in. 

*Also Great Hire 

Yeah.  Where one sits on the RTC situation is going to largely depend on what one values more.......parity in NCAA wrestling or USA achievement in international wrestling.  Me personally, I'm not a big fan of NCAA wrestling, nor do I have a favorite team (I went to a d-2 and my favorite school since I was a child does not have wrestling anymore).  I am much more into the international scene and America's results there.  So I am a big fan of the RTC's and frankly could not care less how it impacts NCAA recruiting.  I'm sure many are on the exact opposite end of that spectrum.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yeah.  Where one sits on the RTC situation is going to largely depend on what one values more.......parity in NCAA wrestling or USA achievement in international wrestling.  Me personally, I'm not a big fan of NCAA wrestling, nor do I have a favorite team (I went to a d-2 and my favorite school since I was a child does not have wrestling anymore).  I am much more into the international scene and America's results there.  So I am a big fan of the RTC's and frankly could not care less how it impacts NCAA recruiting.  I'm sure many are on the exact opposite end of that spectrum.

Same here my friend. 
My mother's husband (Stepdad feels weird when they married after I became an adult) is diehard folkstyle and hates freestyle and it's a continual gripe, that they shouldn't exist.  

Edited by spladle08

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

*Also Great Hire 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Well... it's not just RTCs anymore.  It's RTC + NIL opportunities. 

They go hand in hand though, considering the ability to form an RTC is contingent upon your ability to fundraise (in addition to having some actual wrestling success).  

Well... it's not just RTCs anymore.  It's RTC + NIL opportunities. 
They go hand in hand though, considering the ability to form an RTC is contingent upon your ability to fundraise (in addition to having some actual wrestling success).  
How they work with NIL is actually a great point .
#WellDone

On 10/14/2021 at 11:43 PM, de4856 said:

So does anyone know why KJ left USA Wrestling to go to Michigan? 

I heard he felt it was time.  

Some might say better late than never. 

Bad jokes aside, this is going to be a good thing for Michigan, long term.  KJ is a great coach who is linked to some heavy success.

One thing that will never slip my mind is that KJ, for all his faults as a head coach, was one hell of an assistant/ individual coach. He fell on a heck of a sword for Cox. Absolute ride or die and that is everything you want by your side in a foxhole.