Uwwdoc

JB and Cox post Oslo

Interested to see thoughts on what happens with these 2. JB very successful at 79kg, but with one eye on Paris in 2024 do you think he will go up all the way to 86kg in a year or so? Seems more likely than back at 74kg given age. I am sure he will want to compete at Paris, and 86kg is more likely than 74kg imo even though he is a small for the weight. Wonder if he can top Taylor if he commits to the weight.

But what next for Cox? After what was a pretty poor year from going to what folks felt would be the p4p 1 that would topple Sadulaev, he misses weight for the trials, and then loses to a fairly unknown wrestler at 92 in Poland, and then to a very good Ghasempour in Oslo.

But with his results this year, will he still want to go up to take out Kyle and Sadulaev? Back in 2019 when he won worlds he was weighing up between 97 and going against those 2, or going to 86kg and taking out David and Yaz. Now he chose 97kg, but that didn't even transpire due to the weight miss, but with recent results perhaps it may be better for him to try 86kg again with Paris in mind? I can't see him beating Sadulaev.

Might not happen but there is a slim chance that Cox, Taylor and JB all try to rep USA at 86kg in a few years depending how the stars align. Still a long time till then of course, and 2 worlds until Paris. But intriguing nonetheless.

JB (in worlds interview) said he is staying at 79kg and then going down to 74kg for the Olympics. 
I would assume Cox stays put for awhile and then goes up. 90% of the *ish that gets talked about him is: "The Weigh-In" and "You guys really thought this dude could beat Saduleav" 
He clearly pays attention to all the chatter. (Not evening mentioning his overall size and the difficulty 86kg would present) I think he will be plenty motivated to move up. 

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

JB (in worlds interview) said he is staying at 79kg and then going down to 74kg for the Olympics. 
I would assume Cox stays put for awhile and then goes up. 90% of the *ish that gets talked about him is: "The Weigh-In" and "You guys really thought this dude could beat Saduleav" 
He clearly pays attention to all the chatter. (Not evening mentioning his overall size and the difficulty 86kg would present) I think he will be plenty motivated to move up. 

Ah ok. Would have thought back down to 74 would be getting tough for JB. But fair enough. Cox is the more interesting one, I feel he has a better chance of success in a few years at 86, but it would be a killer weight cut. Ghasempour is in a situation in Iran where he is too small for 97 but 86 is owned by Yaz. But for a wrestler like him not to be at the Olympics will be criminal.

After seeing JB at 79 with one calf, I want to see him at 86.  To me it seems obvious that when they changed the weigh-in procedures that it effected his performance (now).  This was the best version we have seen in a long time, and it was on one calf!

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

According to Cox after the trials he was going to be back at 97 after Oslo.  But who knows if anything has changed there.

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Ah ok. Would have thought back down to 74 would be getting tough for JB. But fair enough. Cox is the more interesting one, I feel he has a better chance of success in a few years at 86, but it would be a killer weight cut. Ghasempour is in a situation in Iran where he is too small for 97 but 86 is owned by Yaz. But for a wrestler like him not to be at the Olympics will be criminal.

I think Ghasempour has time to put on size by 2024. I don't know that Cox would be in any better situation at 86kg. 
In any bracket he is in, you only worry about 1-2 opponents. But...... Then you have to worry about which match will he let somebody who is "capable enough" hang around until the end and have an opportunity to win with a late flurry. 
Could be a random 86kg guy pushing the pace down 1 with 30 seconds left vs weight cutting Cox
Or a tank of a 97kg guy, down 1 with 30 seconds left forcing an undersized Cox to the edge. 
Either way, either bracket, yes he will only have 1-2 guys we think could beat him 
but he will also wrestler a match or 2 where we go WTF MAN! 
Love him, but wish he "got after it" more 

Just now, Lurker said:

According to Cox after the trials he was going to be back at 97 after Oslo.  But who knows if anything has changed there.

Yeah I hope he does stay up 2022 through the Olympics. 
I'm of the opinion you really got to get your body as big as possible to be effective at that weight. 
Everyone is so solid. 

Just now, spladle08 said:

I think Ghasempour has time to put on size by 2024. 

There was an interview/chat with ghasempour in Oslo on an instagram page  during which he said his walk around weight is 88kg. so he is quite small for 92 Kg even...

Just now, window12 said:

There was an interview/chat with ghasempour in Oslo on an instagram page  during which he said his walk around weight is 88kg. so he is quite small for 92 Kg even...

I did not see this, so he will likely stay down. 
Sucks he is Yaz are the same age. Wild #Talent

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I did not see this, so he will likely stay down. 
Sucks he is Yaz are the same age. Wild #Talent

Yes -its quite a shame that way. I guess the natural match up will be DT Vs Ghasempour and may be an interesting one for fans but DT may not any incentive to take part- not sure 

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I think Ghasempour has time to put on size by 2024. I don't know that Cox would be in any better situation at 86kg. 
In any bracket he is in, you only worry about 1-2 opponents. But...... Then you have to worry about which match will he let somebody who is "capable enough" hang around until the end and have an opportunity to win with a late flurry. 
Could be a random 86kg guy pushing the pace down 1 with 30 seconds left vs weight cutting Cox
Or a tank of a 97kg guy, down 1 with 30 seconds left forcing an undersized Cox to the edge. 
Either way, either bracket, yes he will only have 1-2 guys we think could beat him 
but he will also wrestler a match or 2 where we go WTF MAN! 
Love him, but wish he "got after it" more 

Kamran only weighed 88 or 89 for Oslo. He didn't cut any weight. He feels his body is pretty filled out at 89, so he struggles to see how he can ever make 97kg. Let's see 

2 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Kamran only weighed 88 or 89 for Oslo. He didn't cut any weight. He feels his body is pretty filled out at 89, so he struggles to see how he can ever make 97kg. Let's see 

Yeah @window12 mentioned that above.
I didn't see this interview. Sounds like he will have to go down and take out Yaz to see who gets the shot at Zahid at the Olympics.

JB is not big enough for 86 and Cox i feel has no other choice than to go after Snyder.

what are the chances of going to 10 Olympics weights??? do the right thing. we have the perfect lineup for 10 weights.

33 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

JB is not big enough for 86 and Cox i feel has no other choice than to go after Snyder.

what are the chances of going to 10 Olympics weights??? do the right thing. we have the perfect lineup for 10 weights.

I'm with you

42 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah @window12 mentioned that above.
I didn't see this interview. Sounds like he will have to go down and take out Yaz to see who gets the shot at Zahid at the Olympics.

U reckon Zahid tops Taylor by 2024?

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

U reckon Zahid tops Taylor by 2024?

Lol I just wanted to throw that little prediction out there. 
Like I have for the last 2 years. 
They still haven't met, which is frustrating. 
I feel his style will be the biggest hurdle for DT. I really think it's a bad match-up for him. 
But if Zahid can't make the finals its kind of pointless. 

6 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Lol I just wanted to throw that little prediction out there. 
Like I have for the last 2 years. 
They still haven't met, which is frustrating. 
I feel his style will be the biggest hurdle for DT. I really think it's a bad match-up for him. 
But if Zahid can't make the finals its kind of pointless. 

Zahid gases so hard, man.

This is going to be so bad for Zahid.  It will be like the first Yazdani-Taylor match without Zahid ever taking a lead.

When DT puts his foot on the gas pedal Zahid's lungs will explode, implode, or some combination of both.

I am all for Zahid being good enough to medal on the world stage (depending on draw), but not while DT is at 86 for us.  That is the worst stylistic matchup on the planet for Zahid.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Zahid gases so hard, man.

This is going to be so bad for Zahid.  It will be like the first Yazdani-Taylor match without Zahid ever taking a lead.

When DT puts his foot on the gas pedal Zahid's lungs will explode, implode, or some combination of both.

I am all for Zahid being good enough to medal on the world stage (depending on draw), but not while DT is at 86 for us.  That is the worst stylistic matchup on the planet for Zahid.

Love the take and very reasonable.
However, when the question a few months back was "Where is Zahid in this 79kg mix?" and the answer was, "He realized he has to get the correct body for 86kg so he's not wasting time cutting back down". Part of that (for me) was the gas tank. 
Admittedly I don't expect DT to lose, but......
You get a guy with a ton of effective offense from neutral, who is more than familiar with the scrambly American Folkstyle positions DT can create.... 
Like Yaz, the main path to victory I see for DT is "Get him tired". 
I just see Zahid coming in so ready for war.... and in a best 2 of 3  I would wager money he wins one. 

19 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Love the take and very reasonable.
However, when the question a few months back was "Where is Zahid in this 79kg mix?" and the answer was, "He realized he has to get the correct body for 86kg so he's not wasting time cutting back down". Part of that (for me) was the gas tank. 
Admittedly I don't expect DT to lose, but......
You get a guy with a ton of effective offense from neutral, who is more than familiar with the scrambly American Folkstyle positions DT can create.... 
Like Yaz, the main path to victory I see for DT is "Get him tired". 
I just see Zahid coming in so ready for war.... and in a best 2 of 3  I would wager money he wins one. 

Different tiers man.  Zahid, right now, is tier 3 at best.  Just the way it is right now.

Just now, nhs67 said:

Different tiers man.  Zahid, right now, is tier 3 at best.  Just the way it is right now.

He's just so damn good sometimes. Poland, Pellicone... I dunno I want to see the match. 
Even just to put my thoughts to rest. 
Like we all think Dake can compete with Sidakov, but just cause he got teched prior to that doesn't mean otherwise, we still have a belief (Clearly not the same but I think Zahid can do something) 

28 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

How is Zahid tier 3?  He is definitely better than Myles Amine - he just beat him recently.  DT & Yazdani are tier 1 - I would say Zahid is in tier 2 with Saifanov and a couple of other Russians.

11 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

How is Zahid tier 3?  He is definitely better than Myles Amine - he just beat him recently.  DT & Yazdani are tier 1 - I would say Zahid is in tier 2 with Saifanov and a couple of other Russians.

Agreed with this.  Zahid is currently in the tier 2 conversation.  

34 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

22 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Agreed with this.  Zahid is currently in the tier 2 conversation.  

Styles make matches and Amine will always lose to Zahid.  Unfortunately.

Zahid is tier 3.  He lost to Nickal, JB, and at the Deglane this year alone.  His loss at the Deglane was to a Russian who is typically a 79 too, at that.

Edit #1:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_de_France_Henri_Deglane_2021

Edit #2:

That Russian has never been close to beating the top two at Russia, either, fwiw.  6-0, 6-1 type decisions.

Edited by nhs67

Brooks will be beating Zahid by 2024 if Zahid doesn’t make massive improvements to his endurance.

Right now, Zahid would be gassed and pinned by Taylor by the end of the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk