steamboat_charlie v2

Sadulaev Interview Post Worlds

From UWW:

"I really wanted to win in Oslo, because five-time world champion sounds better than four-time champion."

"Years of work pays off and thank God I won again. I always have tough matches with Snyder.  I could barely get off the mat at the Olympics, today I was tired at the end, but everything went well."

"In Tokyo, I immediately began to attack, but here in the first period I decided to see what he would do. I understood his tactics, and in the second period I did not let him take the lead."

"I don't have any special tactic for the matches against Snyder.  I know he is trying to wear me out.  So I was trying to make him wrestle my way and not let him set his own rules.  In the end, I noticed that he got more worn out than me."  

"Personally, I think [Snyder] was better prepared physically and mentally at the Olympics.  I was more tired there.  It was easier to win [for me] here."

___

Nothing too shocking, although I found the last sentence interesting.  I expected Sadulaev might point to his knee injury as a reason for the closer match in Tokyo, but he pointed to Snyder being better prepared for that match instead.  

18 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

From UWW:

"I really wanted to win in Oslo, because five-time world champion sounds better than four-time champion."

"Years of work pays off and thank God I won again. I always have tough matches with Snyder.  I could barely get off the mat at the Olympics, today I was tired at the end, but everything went well."

"In Tokyo, I immediately began to attack, but here in the first period I decided to see what he would do. I understood his tactics, and in the second period I did not let him take the lead."

"I don't have any special tactic for the matches against Snyder.  I know he is trying to wear me out.  So I was trying to make him wrestle my way and not let him set his own rules.  In the end, I noticed that he got more worn out than me."  

"Personally, I think [Snyder] was better prepared physically and mentally at the Olympics.  I was more tired there.  It was easier to win [for me] here."

___

Nothing too shocking, although I found the last sentence interesting.  I expected Sadulaev might point to his knee injury as a reason for the closer match in Tokyo, but he pointed to Snyder being better prepared for that match instead.  

Same, well some minor excuse or something. He was clearly gassed at the Olympics. Cool to see him acknowledge he wasn't prepared. 
I thought we would either see the same Saduleav at worlds and if it was close Snyder would pull it out this time. 
Or
Saduleav would want to make a point that he is clearly better and get more separation. 

Obviously Snyder had  a bad semi's and it made us all a little skeptical. 
But yeah, he was just a different wrestler at the Olympics. 

Snyderman already has 3 World/Olympic Silvers.

Who has the most silvers in American history ?

Lots could change moving forward but if he stays our rep. He could easily end up with 6+ would be a notable record (impressive even though not winning it all carries a negative connotation)

Well maybe Sads was right about SnyderMan being better prepared for the Olympics than he was for the World’s, even though when it comes to Snyder that really doesn’t really make sense, because he’s always prepared. But I guess you could point to Snyder’s match with Goleij, and his match with Sads as evidence. So if Sads assessment is true, what is the reason for this? My first thought would be that the Olympics and the World’s were to close together. The other might be that he is getting a little discouraged about not finding an answer for Sads. I know it could be any number of things, and it may be not true altogether. 

On 10/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, spladle08 said:

Snyderman already has 3 World/Olympic Silvers.

Who has the most silvers in American history ?

Lots could change moving forward but if he stays our rep. He could easily end up with 6+ would be a notable record (impressive even though not winning it all carries a negative connotation)

Baumgartner has one Olympic silver and three World silvers.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:33 PM, de4856 said:

Well maybe Sads was right about SnyderMan being better prepared for the Olympics than he was for the World’s, even though when it comes to Snyder that really doesn’t really make sense, because he’s always prepared. But I guess you could point to Snyder’s match with Goleij, and his match with Sads as evidence. So if Sads assessment is true, what is the reason for this? My first thought would be that the Olympics and the World’s were to close together. The other might be that he is getting a little discouraged about not finding an answer for Sads. I know it could be any number of things, and it may be not true altogether. 

It's difficult to say.  I think Snyder's work ethic is above reproach, so I have no questions about whether or not he did everything he could to be prepared.  Even the Goleji match I don't think is too significant... Snyder has had close calls before.  

This is the first time though in a Snyder/Sadulaev match where Sadulaev looked like he had more gas. Maybe it's mental.  Maybe it's just that Sadulaev was limited in Tokyo by the injury.  Who knows.  

Snyder changed a lot of things in his life and committed the last 4 years to a single goal that he ultimately fell short of.  Hard to say what that does to a competitor.  Maybe the guy just needs a break.  

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

It's difficult to say.  I think Snyder's work ethic is above reproach, so I have no questions about whether or not he did everything he could to be prepared.  Even the Goleji match I don't think is too significant... Snyder has had close calls before.  

This is the first time though in a Snyder/Sadulaev match where Sadulaev looked like he had more gas. Maybe it's mental.  Maybe it's just that Sadulaev was limited in Tokyo by the injury.  Who knows.  

Snyder changed a lot of things in his life and committed the last 4 years to a single goal that he ultimately fell short of.  Hard to say what that does to a competitor.  Maybe the guy just needs a break. 

Or maybe he’s just not going to beat Sadulaev again. Sadualev appeared to have more gas because Snyder tried a completely different, more passive approach. After the last 3 encounters, I don’t begrudge that decision. He needed to try something different. Holding position and then hoping for a last minute pushout or bumrush style TD against a more tired Sadulaev was worth a shot. Unfortunately, Sadulaev wasn’t going to wait for that and scored with surprising ease after a period of feeling Snyder out. 

I think Snyder needs to go back to the only way he won: try to wear him out. Otherwise it becomes a “wrestling contest”, and I don’t see him ever winning that way. As Cael told Varner at the Olympics: make it about conditioning. It’s probably the only edge Snyder has, if he even has that anymore. I don’t like the chances either way and am with the guys who say Sadulaev runs the table from now on. 

Well I said this on another thread, but I think it was Flowrestling interviewing Dan Gable about Kyle’s match with Sads after the Olympics, and Gable’s response was that Kyle needs to take Sads into deep water early. I know that when I mentioned that, I got some push back by another poster who said that this is the only way Gable sees things, but it doesn’t make Gable wrong. 
I also wonder sometimes how much influence Kyle’s matches with Mohammadi and Sharifov have had on Kyle. I also wonder if that played a part in his matches with Goleij, and Sads at Oslo. Or was it just the strategy that they came up with for these World’s. Or was it just something Sads and Goleij were doing that prevented Kyle from scoring. 
I kind of think that Kyle can change things up a little and can add some things to his arsenal, but at the end of the day, he is what he is, and if he is a nothing more than a head snapping, mat gaining, remorseless attacking machine, then that’s what he needs to be.