This is such a weird situation. Seems like all this coming season, a lot of people are going to be preoccupied with Spencer Lee's ACL (or lack thereof) problems.

As we already all know - "excuses are for wuss's" I'm definitely in that camp. And I don't think Iowa would start a guy who isn't healthy enough to compete.

So, serious question, do we disregard the "Lee's knees" as an issue and plow ahead? Or do we wrap every conversation about him in with the "but the ACL" asterisk?

On the cusp of being a 4-timer in PA States, Lee went down.

Might we see history repeat itself at the NCAA level? 

Who is most likely to take him down (and out), knee or sans knee?

6 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Pat Glory or Nick Suriano …only NJ can stop Lee from being a 4xer

Suriano, arujau and glory, in that order, are all talented enough to take on Spencer and win, sans ACL.  If somehow he learns how to exert himself sans ACL at the same level as before, then no one has a chance.

Edited by treep2000

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I agree but I’m pretty sure he ll be 133 

This makes sense, as it might upset Yianni, Cornell's best wrestler, if his brother is on the bench or forced to wrestle above his optimal weight. 

While I think Greg at 125 and Vito at 133 would be better for the team in the context of dual meets, would it make Cornell a better tournament team?  If you put Greg at 125, he would be fortunate to place at the bottom of the podium at NCAA's and Vito could be anywhere from 1st to 8th at 133.  However, if you put Vito at 125 he is guaranteed top-3 , but you would probably get no points from Greg or Lajoie at 133.  To me, it makes more sense to have Vito at 125 for NCAA's because I don't think Greg or Lajoie would place at either 125 or 133, and Vito has a better chance at winning 125 (as well as a higher floor in terms of his placement because the competition at 125 is thin and 133 is stacked).

This might be a separate topic, but I would be interested to hear what others think about Greg D. and Cornell's situation at 125/133.

3 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

This makes sense, as it might upset Yianni, Cornell's best wrestler, if his brother is on the bench or forced to wrestle above his optimal weight. 

While I think Greg at 125 and Vito at 133 would be better for the team in the context of dual meets, would it make Cornell a better tournament team?  If you put Greg at 125, he would be fortunate to place at the bottom of the podium at NCAA's and Vito could be anywhere from 1st to 8th at 133.  However, if you put Vito at 125 he is guaranteed top-3 , but you would probably get no points from Greg or Lajoie at 133.  To me, it makes more sense to have Vito at 125 for NCAA's because I don't think Greg or Lajoie would place at either 125 or 133, and Vito has a better chance at winning 125 (as well as a higher floor in terms of his placement because the competition at 125 is thin and 133 is stacked).

This might be a separate topic, but I would be interested to hear what others think about Greg D. and Cornell's situation at 125/133.

According to their Facebook page, they made Lajoie a Captain if that means anything.

Edited by DanGerMan

9 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Does anyone have insight into how Greg D. has done in the past year as a greyshirt?  I have not heard of any matches he's had.  For all we know, he's put on a bunch of muscle and grown into a 133.  Let's not understimate a 5x NYS champion!

(this from the NCAA seems to think he'll be at 133, as well:  https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2021-10-12/these-true-freshman-college-wrestling-contenders-have-best-chance-win-title-season)

On 10/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, dmm53 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Desanto was good but no one expected him to win. There’s also a possibility that Lee injures himself further during the season setting up for another final match fiasco. 

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Can Vito actually make 125 three days in a row?

Academic question-

Art. 5. 1-Pound Weight Allowance for Multi-Day Tournaments. In tournaments, including team-advancement tournaments requiring multiple-day weigh-ins, a 1-pound weight allowance for each consecutive day of competition shall be granted.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:45 PM, ShakaAloha said:

You really think Yianni is going to be upset if Vito forces his brother into a sub-optimal weight?  That's ridiculous. 

22 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Lee doesn't need knee excuses, remember when piccininni pinned him and we all had to except that it was because he just wasn't right....

And then there was the national tournament...   No excuses just get it done when it matters the most:-). 

5 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

You really think Yianni is going to be upset if Vito forces his brother into a sub-optimal weight?  That's ridiculous. 

I don't know the guy but he probably keeps his true feelings to himself and maybe those in his inner circle.  I'd imagine that he wouldn't be happy if his brother is on the bench.

3 hours ago, KTI said:

And then there was the national tournament...   No excuses just get it done when it matters the most:-). 

Not related to Lee, but people who fall back on the "when it matters most" argument are a waste of space on the forum. Anyone can pick the winner of a tournament that has already happened,.