It sees that Reece Humphrey won the UWW World Veterans championship. As far as I can tell, he beat another American in the finals, one named Jordin Jarreau Blade Humphrey. 

It's interesting that they allow more than one wrestler from each nation in this event. Also, is Jordin Jarreau Blade Humphrey Reece's brother?

Jordin is Reece's older brother by, I think , three years.  Jordin was very, very good in high school and had some success in college- obviously his brother was on a different level, but the whole family is incredibly tough.

Edited by matts1w

7 minutes ago, matts1w said:

Jordin is Reece's older brother by, I think , three years.  Jordin was very, very good in high school and had some success in college- obviously his brother was on a different level, but the whole family is incredibly tough.

And, IIRC, their dad is or was a successful coach.

36 minutes ago, NJDan said:

And, IIRC, their dad is or was a successful coach.

Dad (Jim) is a world medalist and led Indiana University to much success in the 1980s before heading into the business world.  Some say he was the architect of the Kendall Cross win over Terry Brands.

Edited by matts1w

14 hours ago, NJDan said:

It sees that Reece Humphrey won the UWW World Veterans championship. As far as I can tell, he beat another American in the finals, one named Jordin Jarreau Blade Humphrey. 

It's interesting that they allow more than one wrestler from each nation in this event. Also, is Jordin Jarreau Blade Humphrey Reece's brother?

You living under a rock or trolling?  It really is difficult to tell with you.

Every. Single. Media. Outlet. Has. Covered. This. The. Last. Three. Days.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You living under a rock or trolling?  It really is difficult to tell with you.

Every. Single. Media. Outlet. Has. Covered. This. The. Last. Three. Days.

Really? Show me one news article other than by UWW or Flo. Just one. Otherwise, I will continue my working assumption that you are just a moron.

Maybe the front page of the site of the forum you are reading?

TheMat, UWW, Flo … well, those are three of the biggest wrestling sites in the world.

IndianaMat, major news outlets retweeting the info on social platforms, my daily wrestling newsletter … if you were looking for it and didn’t see it, what do you actually look for on a daily basis?

I’m asking sincerely, since if people can’t find this easily, then maybe someone’s doing something wrong.

Cause it should have been impossible to not read the brothers line by most.

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Maybe the front page of the site of the forum you are reading?

TheMat, UWW, Flo … well, those are three of the biggest wrestling sites in the world.

IndianaMat, major news outlets retweeting the info on social platforms, my daily wrestling newsletter … if you were looking for it and didn’t see it, what do you actually look for on a daily basis?

I’m asking sincerely, since if people can’t find this easily, then maybe someone’s doing something wrong.

Cause it should have been impossible to not read the brothers line by most.

I saw a tweet by Reece. Then I tried to find a story. I googled the name of both Humphreys. NO STORY APPEARED. In fact, I just did the same Google search. AGAIN, NO STORY. So TheMat has a problem in that Google is not finding it. Also, Google does not show anything from IndianaMat, which, I admit, I have never head of.  I also did not know you had a daily newsletter, so excuse me for missing that. Even right now, a Google new search for either brother turns up nothing. A Google search for Reece also has nothing on his victory. Oddly, a google search for Jordin does fine the TeamUSA story. I am pretty sure I looked on Flo that day and there was nothing. UWW had something if you know how to look-- the site is not exactly easy to navigate. In short, it was QUITE POSSIBLE to miss the story even if 

Reece won three bouts - two of which were against Americans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw a tweet by Reece. Then I tried to find a story. I googled the name of both Humphreys. NO STORY APPEARED. In fact, I just did the same Google search. AGAIN, NO STORY. So TheMat has a problem in that Google is not finding it. Also, Google does not show anything from IndianaMat, which, I admit, I have never head of.  I also did not know you had a daily newsletter, so excuse me for missing that. Even right now, a Google new search for either brother turns up nothing. A Google search for Reece also has nothing on his victory. Oddly, a google search for Jordin does fine the TeamUSA story. I am pretty sure I looked on Flo that day and there was nothing. UWW had something if you know how to look-- the site is not exactly easy to navigate. In short, it was QUITE POSSIBLE to miss the story even if 

Google takes time to index. Go to the source. If you expect the internet to spoon feed you, wait a few more years. It’s pretty tough to have missed this even if you do the most basic of web crawls - google won’t answer everything the same day. Most heavy internet users should already know this.

But I guess if you can’t google something and a result doesn’t show from a story within the last 24 hours, the site is broken?

Don’t give up! You can do it!

9 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Google takes time to index. Go to the source. If you expect the internet to spoon feed you, wait a few more years. It’s pretty tough to have missed this even if you do the most basic of web crawls - google won’t answer everything the same day. Most heavy internet users should already know this.

But I guess if you can’t google something and a result doesn’t show from a story within the last 24 hours, the site is broken?

Don’t give up! You can do it!

Jason, I don't think that using Google is asking to be "spoon fed." In general, searching for a story is an active strategy-- the opposite of spoon feeding. Also, you are wrong about Google. Google news searches pick up items posted an hour before or even less. That's not true of all items, of course, and veterans wrestling tournaments are not big news even for wrestling fans. But the fact that Google searches are not finding USAW stories even DAYS later probably does show a problem with the USAW site.  Or maybe Google does not consider USAW to be a news source, which it is not (it's PR). So I guess at the end of the day we have a very small story that got no coverage. Had I not happened to see Reece's tweet, I would have missed it. None of this is a big deal. But it's also not cause to attack me as ignorant as many on this board (not you) have done.

12 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Reece won three bouts - two of which were against Americans.

Are you suggesting that this is really not much of a world championship?

6 hours ago, NJDan said:

Jason, I don't think that using Google is asking to be "spoon fed." In general, searching for a story is an active strategy-- the opposite of spoon feeding. Also, you are wrong about Google. Google news searches pick up items posted an hour before or even less. That's not true of all items, of course, and veterans wrestling tournaments are not big news even for wrestling fans. But the fact that Google searches are not finding USAW stories even DAYS later probably does show a problem with the USAW site.  Or maybe Google does not consider USAW to be a news source, which it is not (it's PR). So I guess at the end of the day we have a very small story that got no coverage. Had I not happened to see Reece's tweet, I would have missed it. None of this is a big deal. But it's also not cause to attack me as ignorant as many on this board (not you) have done.

I found three results pretty much immediately. Blame doesn't exist on themat.com in this case, which was as I suspected. The search term was clear. The results showed up on TheMat, Flo and then a news aggregator, which took the info right from USAW. 

Here's what happened: You didn't google well enough and want to blame USAW for it. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 2.53.04 PM.png

But  a search for "Reese Humphrey wrestling" still comes up blank. Your search assumes that you knew the competition was called "veterans."  No reason to assume that. All three sites are failing. It's not a big deal, but it's bizarre that you want to defend these sites failure to optimize.

Are you suggesting that this is really not much of a world championship?

No. Simply replying to YOUR comment about multiple Americans at the same weight.

Y'all should bring this up to the new Comms person at USA Wrestling. They hired UNC's previous Comms person -- seems pretty solid & new-school; should know a lot about search engine optimization and the like.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

You searched for a multiple-time All-American and multiple-time senior world team member who had hundreds of stories/press releases written about him on the web prior to this weekend for wrestling and you’re telling me you searched his name and the word “wrestling” and you mean you didn’t get the desired result?

giphy.gif

it was my fourth result. too much effort to scroll that far down? The match was also the first video result from Flo when you clicked “News” which usually gives a user the most recent stories by news sites of the search.

I’m all for being critical when there should be a better process, but this ain’t it chief.

13 hours ago, NJDan said:

But  a search for "Reese Humphrey wrestling" still comes up blank. Your search assumes that you knew the competition was called "veterans."  No reason to assume that. All three sites are failing. It's not a big deal, but it's bizarre that you want to defend these sites failure to optimize.

Did you spell his name correctly?

7 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Wait. Wait. Wait.

You searched for a multiple-time All-American and multiple-time senior world team member who had hundreds of stories/press releases written about him on the web prior to this weekend for wrestling and you’re telling me you searched his name and the word “wrestling” and you mean you didn’t get the desired result?

giphy.gif

it was my fourth result. too much effort to scroll that far down? The match was also the first video result from Flo when you clicked “News” which usually gives a user the most recent stories by news sites of the search.

I’m all for being critical when there should be a better process, but this ain’t it chief.

I am saying I did a Google NEWS search and a regular google search and that's what happened-- on the day of the match. If you do the search today, several days later, you get a different result. But this did not start with an attack on the USAW site. So your faulting me for being critical is wrong. I posted a question about what happened, that question occasioned by the absence of coverage of the event. I believe that the USAW article was published after my first post here. In any event, it did not come up in response to a google search that included the wrestler's names.  So all the posts citing this one article  (or citing a Flo video posted even later or a tweet for Pete's sake) do not prove I missed something or do not now how to use Google. In retrospect the lack of coverage of a veteran's tournament is not surprising. But the posts saying that there was a lot of coverage are still comical.

At the end of the day, we have an event that had attracted no news coverage (outside of USAW, which is not a news site). I asked about the event. I was denounced for missing the story, which might not have even posted at the time, for not seeing a tweet and for not knowing how to use google and for complaining about the USAW site. Now, you point to a google result-- from four days later. This is absurd.

Edited by NJDan

Most news comes to me on this wrestling forum or twitter from interesting people.  Late news comes from facebook wrestling groups (-Mineo; TMZ is not for me).  I found out about veteran worlds from Reece on Twitter and later about the all-brother final from Reece on twitter.  Asking questions and forming them is about 80% of my day job and it took search determination to find details.  Duck duck go search, google search, Flo arena browse, Flo News browse, and ESPN Olympic wrestling browse (new category) came up empty.  I could not remember what worlds was called and reread tweets to search on veterans; that helped.  Figured out the need to go to Team USA > Wrestling to find news there rather than depend on the home page.  Found brackets on UWW.  Googled and read up on Reece' brother.  I stopped listening to podcasts since working remote for the pandemic; no commute; no podcast.  Wrestling isn't main stream so one needs to be in the circle of knowledge or follow five information channels closely.  My son stopped wrestling and my circle of knowledge is shrinking.

Edited by jross
clarify search v browse