Sign in to follow this  
LHU125

Wrestle Off Results

USA Wrestling usually posts D1 results ~weekly around this time. For now, here’s a running list of intramural dates: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/October/21/Division-I-Intrasquad-Schedule

hoping to see more wrestle-offs streamed this year, now that folks are more accustomed to virtual events.

1 minute ago, JasonBryant said:

You know, up until this week, I've tried refraining from posting USAW front page stuff here because I thought they'd be obvious -- but as we saw in the Humphrey thread, I guess not, lol. 

15 minutes ago, Gantry said:

141 should be interesting too, curious to see how Decatur looks up a weight and Ech with another year of folkstyle under his belt. 

Unless Echemendia has vastly improved on bottom, he's going to lose a lot of matches. I wouldn't put it past his opponents to choose top.

19 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Paddy getting the bye to the finals as a true frosh is impressive.  Coaches must think he's the favorite to win the spot I suppose.  Romero vs. Jordan may be one of the better wrestleoffs in a long time.

Jordan won a snoozefest last year...

37 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Jordan Decatur 7-3 over Echemendia

Buckeyes

133: Philip Kue over Chase Liardi (Dec 4-0)

133: Andre Gonzales over Alex Flerlage (MD 13-4)

133: Dylan Koontz over Phillip Kue (Fall 4:43)

141: Jordan Decatur over Anthony Echemendia (Dec 7-3)

157: Jashon Hubbard over Kevon Freeman (Dec 9-4)

157: Jashon Hubbard over Isaac Wilcox (Dec 4-3)

174: Fritz Schierl over. Bryer Hall (TF 22-4)

285: Mike Misita over Hogan Swenski (Dec 2-0)

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Buckeyes

133: Philip Kue over Chase Liardi (Dec 4-0)

133: Andre Gonzales over Alex Flerlage (MD 13-4)

133: Dylan Koontz over Phillip Kue (Fall 4:43)

141: Jordan Decatur over Anthony Echemendia (Dec 7-3)

157: Jashon Hubbard over Kevon Freeman (Dec 9-4)

157: Jashon Hubbard over Isaac Wilcox (Dec 4-3)

174: Fritz Schierl over. Bryer Hall (TF 22-4)

285: Mike Misita over Hogan Swenski (Dec 2-0)

I'm hoping, with these results, that we can officially retire the "Echemendia is the next title contender" topic.  The amount of hype surrounding this young man was nothing short of spectacular, and unfortunately, it does not appear that he will be able to live up to this amount of over-hype.  Maybe his freestyle results will show a different story in the end, but in collegiate folk, he'll now be considered, maybe, as 2nd or 3rd best on the team.  

I'm looking forward to Decatur / D'Emilio.  Interesting stylistic matchup.  

I'm looking forward to seeing if Paddy is the real deal vs. Hubbard, and how that match progresses.  If it's close, I'll be concerned that 157 for the Buckeyes may be another question mark.  If it's not close, then we'll know who the starter is, and will need to wait for additional competition to make the assessment.

Schierl and Smith is a fascinating matchup.  Fritz is a gamer, but so is Smith.  

Fun times in Buckeyeland figuring all this out.

18 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I'm hoping, with these results, that we can officially retire the "Echemendia is the next title contender" topic.  The amount of hype surrounding this young man was nothing short of spectacular, and unfortunately, it does not appear that he will be able to live up to this amount of over-hype.  Maybe his freestyle results will show a different story in the end, but in collegiate folk, he'll now be considered, maybe, as 2nd or 3rd best on the team.  

He could still get five more years...LOL

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

2nd or third best in his weight class!

Where's Trip?

The Echemendia hype and subsequent failure is pretty historic. I remember Willie saying he would have been his top overall recruit after his Fargo run if not for classes being finalized. 

Reminds me a bit of the Spencer Rattler Heisman favorite to benched by October cycle.

Mizzou had some interesting results but only a few "true" wrestle offs

125: Noah Surtin over Connor Brown 9-7

133: Trey Crawford over Korbin Shepard 4-2; Matt Schmitt didn't wrestle tonight but didn't have any obvious issues, I still think he'll end up starting

149: Josh Edmond over Logan Gioffre 12-4; this could end up being relevant if Mauller redshirts like some have predicted

174: Peyton Mocco over Sean Harman 5-3