Alwayswrestling

Knox beats Basset at Super 32

On 10/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Were you watching the same match?  Knox turned him.  He was in control almost the entire time.  He gave up a last second TD that he could have defended.  The 11-6 score is misleading because it should have been 11-4. 

That’s kinda my point. A body mass advantage is most noticeable in top-bottom wrestling. If Knox took him down a bunch of times that’s one thing, but when two wrestlers with an 8-10% body mass difference are roughly even on their feet but the bigger kid dominates in top/bottom, that’s often best explained by the weight difference. Not taking anything away from Knox, both showed up at 106 and he got the win, end of story. But P4P it’s hard to say who is “better” based on that.

23 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Do you mean the story from yesterday about the suspensions? 

Referring to how the kid ends up. Many burn out before high school, many others never perform up to expectations. Most just end up regular guys that missed out on a normal childhood. Don’t know the inside specifics about the recruiting scandal but for the State to impose those sanctions, they had to have indisputable evidence.   

On 11/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, BAC said:

That’s kinda my point. A body mass advantage is most noticeable in top-bottom wrestling. If Knox took him down a bunch of times that’s one thing, but when two wrestlers with an 8-10% body mass difference are roughly even on their feet but the bigger kid dominates in top/bottom, that’s often best explained by the weight difference. Not taking anything away from Knox, both showed up at 106 and he got the win, end of story. But P4P it’s hard to say who is “better” based on that.

Knox is P4P better right now, but this is far from over as they are both young.  Looking forward to watching them develop in the coming years and hope they can have good HS and college careers.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:23 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Knox is P4P better right now, but this is far from over as they are both young.  Looking forward to watching them develop in the coming years and hope they can have good HS and college careers.

Kinda reminds me of the Suriano-Lee matches at Super 32, and Taylor-Steiber at Ironman before that.  Expect big things from both.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:14 AM, gowrestle said:

Referring to how the kid ends up. Many burn out before high school, many others never perform up to expectations. Most just end up regular guys that missed out on a normal childhood. Don’t know the inside specifics about the recruiting scandal but for the State to impose those sanctions, they had to have indisputable evidence.   

With all due respect, Bassett is an extremely motivated kid. Even without someone pushing him I still believe he would be extremely self motivated to reach his goals. He has been surrounded by wrestlers such as Spencer Lee and the like throughout his youth career so I don't see a kid like him necessarily "burning out". 

10 hours ago, JVStateChamp said:

With all due respect, Bassett is an extremely motivated kid. Even without someone pushing him I still believe he would be extremely self motivated to reach his goals. He has been surrounded by wrestlers such as Spencer Lee and the like throughout his youth career so I don't see a kid like him necessarily "burning out". 

Awesome. Time will ultimately tell.