Sign in to follow this  
HuskyHero133

Plan B

What do people think of this guys idea?

I still think we should be back in the regular Olympic Games and it should have never been possible to remove us BUT we have to be realistic if these efforts don't go our way. Especially with modern pentathletes making the decision.

Plan B

What we do if…

the IOC “blows the final whistle on Wrestling!”

FILA rents a venue in the chosen Olympic city of 2020.

We hold our own Wrestling Olympiad in Freestyle and Greco.

We incorporate the major points and improvements from Plan A:

-- More Athlete representation in FILA

-- Women represented properly in FILA

-- Restore Wrestling to 10 weight classes in Freestyle and Greco

-- Give the women more weight classes and promote them

Additionally:

1. A comprehensive FILA web site for Wrestling is created

2. Our Olympiad is clearly organized with live streaming of matches

3. A video explanation of the rules is created

4. All matches are archived

5. A rich history for our sport is created

6. Appropriate sponsorship and advertising is found with appeal to our world-wide Wrestling audience and fans

7. A social media site is created for fans to interface

8. The rules are clarified for excitement and ease of understanding

9. Any Olympic trademark issues are resolved in the process

But let’s remember. We are Wrestlers. Mike Novogratz has recalled the common wisdom of kids on the block: “Don’t start a fight with a Wrestler.” So, perhaps we take the process a step further. We create an Olympiad for Combat Sports.

We invite Judo, Karate, Boxing, Wushu and any other combative sport to come with us.

The IOC can keep the Modern Pentathlon, Tennis, Badminton, Swimming, Gymnastics, and the others… along with that other humanly fundamental sport from antiquity – Track and Field.

We go to the mat.

~ Paul Widerman, March, 30, 2013

Olympic Team Alternate, Freestyle '84

National Olympic Trials Champion, '84

Co-Captain Harvard College, '82, '83

Take me to Plan A

Take me back to The Art of Wrestling.com

© 2013 The Art of Wrestling

http://theartofwrestling.com/Plan_B.html

Your solutions sound great as far as they go. One of the major problems however is FILA. For them to say they were surprised, by IOC moves, is resounding proof how out of touch, disinterested and lackadaisical they are in performing their primary function. They have failed in so many areas, I don't have the time to write them up here. Too many old guys who are out of touch. Too many folks who want the position due to its perks. Too many willing to kowtow to IOC. Appeasement very rarely works but when you are a French Swiss organization it is usually the first option. Often it ends badly.

Love it. But it isn't the Olympics. I can't see anyone leaving the Olympic games in order to join up with wrestling. Would love to see this happen, every point listed but I wont hold my breath.

It would become the Olympics for wrestling if they keep pretending modern pentathlon and wushu are the height of amateur athletics.

Why on earth would we allow the IOC those bunch of clueless frauds decide we have no Olympics? We may have to call it something else if they have copyrights they would use against us even if they offer no alternative... maybe World Olympiads? Maybe thats too close, I have no idea.

If this happens then no one will have to leave the Olympic Games just to join wrestling, "we" would accept any martial art not currently represented in the Games, which could become all of them eventually.

If I invite a bunch of buddies over for a pick up football game and call it the Super Bowl does that make it the Super Bowl because I say so? The problem is you can't just hold a tournament and call it the Olympics because its just not the same thing. I understand that the modern Olympics is unrecognizable to what it used to be, but that doesn't change the facts that it is still the Olympics.

I'm not sure what your point is. If the "Olympics" does not want us then why do we want them? And if they do not accept wrestling in 2020 to never have wrestling in Olympics again?

We will allow those idiots to shut us down?

The situation you describe is exactly how the Olympic Games we compete in today was established. Some dude thought it would be a good idea to steal the name from the history books and make his own series of tournaments under this banner. The Olympics is a historical competition showcasing the best amateur athletics had to offer from some 3000 years ago. The "Olympics" restarted itself in 1896 by modern pentathletes just like it can be restarted by the grappling sports today.

All the same rules should apply minus the BS politics. The best wrestlers from each nation get choosen in whatever way they choose and meet every 4 years in the city of the "other" Olympics (maybe) in leu of a World Championship. If it looks like the Olympics, sounds like the Olympics, and serves the purpose of the Olympics, what is it?

I know which way I would vote if I had to pick between watching wushu and complaining about the "real" Olympics not reinstating wrestling or watching the best in the US compete at the World Olympiad over a live internet video feed.

If Wrestling does get cut from the Olympics there is no way FILA could just have a world championship that just tags along with the Olympics. For two huge reasons. The first being that the Olympics would sue FILA out of existence. They protect their trademarks with a vengeance and a sport piggybacking on the games would not be something they'd allow. The second being that there would be zero coverage of such an event/ Everybody would be at the Olympics and we'd be lucky to get a single article.

I think this is a great idea. If we don't have the Olympics, we can create our own world championship to occur every 4 years. It would be like the World Cup for Soccer. There is enough international interest and participation in wrestling to make this a reality.

IF the IOC affirms its decision to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics in 2020, then we will know by October of this year. That gives the international wrestling community 7 years (well, really probably only about 4 or 5) to organize its own world championships, and the ability to broaden the sport by going back to 10 weight classes and re-writing the rules to better the sport rather than bowing down to the IOC's demands. Women's wrestling could be expanded, and I think Karate, Judo, Wushu, etc. would be behind the idea too.

Also, by adding UFC and similar mixed martial arts, more interest would be garnered for this version of wrestling's "World Cup" and Dana White could use his promoting skills for the entire event. (Although, I realize the logistics of UFC fighters competing in this type of "tournament" event would be much more difficult)

I think with proper organization, this could work.

**Edit: zeeb - Somehow the World Cup avoids the "piggybacking" as you're saying. It could be marketed separately, and to get coverage, hold it at a different time than the Olympics, or on an off-Olympics year, like 2021 or 2022.

**Edit: zeeb - Somehow the World Cup avoids the "piggybacking" as you're saying. It could be marketed separately, and to get coverage, hold it at a different time than the Olympics, or on an off-Olympics year, like 2021 or 2022.

If it is held on an off Olympics year I don't think it would be a problem at all. I was just responding to the idea of holding it in such a way that it could be construed as being affiliated with the Olympics. Another issue with piggybacking on the Olympics I neglected in my last post is that it would be impossible for athletes and fans to get hotels during the Olympics at anything approaching a reasonable rate.

Holding it on an off Olympics year would also increase the chance of getting participation from Judo and Boxing, since they are still Olympic sports and wouldn't walk away from that. It could be a worldwide version of the "Titan Games" that was tried a while back in the US.

Another reason this could work is because it would allow countries to host this event that would never get a chance to host the Olympics. And there would be a lot less $$ required from the host country to put on the event because there would be less infrastructure required.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it - I think FILA should organize this event anyway and hold it every four years in the same year as the World Cup (2014,2018,2022, etc) so that wrestling would never need the Olympics again!

Yes there are many ways around these roadblocks.

I don't why any wrestling fan would recommend just giving up on the pinnacle of our sport because of the likes of the IOC.

Do it maybe 6 months off from the "regular" Olympics or something and it can be anywhere. Doesn't have to be in the same city and it doesn't have to be at the same time.

I kind of like that idea of calling it the Titan Games...

flaBigRedfan - I'm with you! I've very excited thinking about these possibilities. We can take back the sport and force FILA to return to the rules of the late 80's/ early 90's + bring back 10 weight classess and if they refuse, well then the hell with them. We should talk to Iran, Russia, and the rest to form a new organization to represent OUR interests.

I'm so sick of letting beurocratic Government like organizations decide our fate irregardless of public sentiment.

The situation you describe is exactly how the Olympic Games we compete in today was established. Some dude thought it would be a good idea to steal the name from the history books and make his own series of tournaments under this banner. The Olympics is a historical competition showcasing the best amateur athletics had to offer from some 3000 years ago. The "Olympics" restarted itself in 1896 by modern pentathletes just like it can be restarted by the grappling sports today.

I don't feel like looking this up but I believe that while Coubertin did restart the Olympics and put the Modern Pentathlon into the Olympics I don't think MP was put in until 1912 or so.

If Wrestling does get cut from the Olympics there is no way FILA could just have a world championship that just tags along with the Olympics. For two huge reasons. The first being that the Olympics would sue FILA out of existence. They protect their trademarks with a vengeance and a sport piggybacking on the games would not be something they'd allow. The second being that there would be zero coverage of such an event/ Everybody would be at the Olympics and we'd be lucky to get a single article.

Yep, this sums up my thoughts exactly.

So call it The Spartan Games (or Titan Games but Spartan sounds much more Greek), rent a venue in the Olympic City, invite just a few of the other combat sports, and get one of the major networks that did not get the Olympic bid to air them. All this without network television might be a waste.

And definitely host it at the same time.