spladle08

U23 Worlds Belgrade, Serbia (Greco)

On 11/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, TBar1977 said:

Serbia is nice, ............... Croatia is even nicer. They got the coastline which is incredible. Zagreb and Belgrade should both rebuild those old "government housing buildings" as they call them. 

Its obvious you have been there because I know exactly where you are talking about.  Why were you there?

2 hours ago, olddirty said:

Its obvious you have been there because I know exactly where you are talking about.  Why were you there?

Heard a lot of good things about it, all of which turned out to be accurate. Was in Bosnia and Slovenia too. Same thing. Seemed like everyone was fit over there except for some American and Western European tourists. 

Edited by TBar1977

The US greco situation reminds me of when the Gallic Roosters or All Blacks face an amateur or semi pro side in union. 

Funny enough, the US national team in Greco  currently serves as experiment to prove Chael Sonnen wrong that Folk is the answers to everything. And they keep on sending these full teams for every event just to get more data points to rub it in his face. 

Joking aside. At the lower weights (sub 90 kg)  where technique is paramount. You are not going to get away with a team of part time greco or late starters. An hour doing folk does not translate to a quality hour of greco. Greco is too different from free and folk.  Wanting it hard and calling everyone "talented" won't make up for thousands of hours of a disadvantage (maybe even starting too late and missing critical periods of youth development where muscle memory is especially imprintable).

Yes at the heaviest weights, where you can have large disparities in strength, size, and athleticism, you can get away with less Greco training.  

The US greco situation reminds me of when the Gallic Roosters or All Blacks face an amateur or semi pro side in union. 
Funny enough, the US national team in Greco  currently serves as experiment to prove Chael Sonnen wrong that Folk is the answers to everything. And they keep on sending these full teams for every event just to get more data points to rub it in his face. 
Joking aside. At the lower weights (sub 90 kg)  where technique is paramount. You are not going to get away with a team of part time greco or late starters. An hour doing folk does not translate to a quality hour of greco. Greco is too different from free and folk.  Wanting it hard and calling everyone "talented" won't make up for thousands of hours of a disadvantage (maybe even starting too late and missing critical periods of youth development where muscle memory is especially imprintable).
Yes at the heaviest weights, where you can have large disparities in strength, size, and athleticism, you can get away with less Greco training.  
I was thinking about this earlier.
We wrestle Freestyle-lite (folkstyle) from 5years old on.... And that's kind of how kids lean into their style and fans become invested in them.

I was thinking, man I don't know any of these Greco kids, but when could I even have been interested in their results ? The 3 events they wrestle a year? Then I thought, once college hits you're almost never wrestling competitive Greco (or Greco adjacent) events ....

Any kids who wrestled college (folkstyle) are almost completely starting from scratch post-college... And any wrestlers who have stuck to Greco since highschool, still aren't experiencing consistent quality competition for any significant period of time.

It really seems absolutely impossible to change our competitiveness on the world stage in Greco.

38 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

It really seems absolutely impossible to change our competitiveness on the world stage in Greco.

It's not going to happen but one way to change our competitiveness would be for the NCAA to revamp the division 1 championships and change it to freestyle, greco, and women's freestyle divisions with the weights corresponding to UWW weights.

2 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

10 US wrestlers in Serbia win a total of 5 matches and nobody medals.

What needs to change?

Olympics cut Greco and increases MFS & WFS to 10 weights which allows USA Wrestling to give Greco the Beach Wrestling treatment and focus our human and financial capital on our successful programs.

23 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Unless I am counting wrong, 2 of the 5 wins were forfeits

Correct. #Savages!

U.S. Greco-Roman Group Two results
60kg: Dylan Gregerson (Bluffdale, Utah/Brunson UVRTC)
LOSS Mehdi Mohsen Nejad (Iran), 8-0
LOSS Mukhammadkodir Yusupov (Uzbekistan), fall

67kg: Alston Nutter (Fennimore, Wisc./Sunkist Kids WC)
LOSS Joni Khetsuriani (Georgia), 9-0

72kg: Nate Moore (Buckley, Wash./Northern Colorado WC)
WIN Sheku Kassegbama (Sierra Leone), forfeit
LOSS Idris Ibaev (Germany), 12-2
LOSS Nate Persson (Sweden), 11-1

82kg: Tommy Brackett (Eads, Tenn./Gator Wrestling Club)
LOSS Mukhammadkodir Rasulov (Uzbekistan), 8-3

97kg: Nicholas Boykin (Murrfreesboro, Tenn./Sunkist Kids)
WIN Gerard Kurniczak (Poland), 8-3
LOSS Artur Sargsian (Russia), 11-0
LOSS Ondrej Dudak (Czech Republic), 4-3

U.S. Greco-Roman Group One results

55kg: Taylor Lamont (Mapleton, Utah/Sunkist Kids WC), fifth place
WIN Aritom Deleanu (Moldova), 2-1
WIN Giorgi Tokhadze (Georgia), 6-3
LOSS Poya Dad Marz (Iran), 5-1
LOSS Nihad Guluzade (Azerbaijan), 9-0

63kg: David Stepanian (Macomb, Mich./New York AC), eighth place
WIN Zolt Zonai (Serbia), forfeit
LOSS Corneliu Resu (Moldova), 2-0

77kg: Britton Holmes (Peyton, Colo./Army WCAP), dnp/20th
LOSS Dilshod Omongeldiyev (Uzbekistan), 5-1

87kg: Spencer Woods (Shungnak, Alaska/Army WCAP), dnp/19th
LOSS Szymon Szymonowicz (Poland), fall 0:46

130kg: Brandon Metz (West Fargo, N.D./Bison WC), dnp/13th
LOSS Vladyslav Kovalenko (Ukraine), 2-1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, Mike Parrish said:

14 losses, 3 wins.

Of the 14 losses, 6 were by tech, 2 were by fall.

30 points scored for US vs 93 points scored against the US.

It makes sense if you dig into the background of some of the U23 greco members. Why would mediocre College wrestlers do well in a tournament with serious greco athletes and even a couple world class ones.  

Of course you'd have blow outs when they meet.