spladle08

U23 Worlds (Freestyle)

This will be 5th-7th, more familiar names but not sure of my expectations. 
Demas probably carries the most expectations. 
Cannon impressed at trials
I'm sure Bonaccorsi or Aiello will surprise (We always have one of the heavier guys do better than expected) 
I personally expect the most out of Cass. 
(Made a Greco thread, had to make a FS) 

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
57 kg: Pat Glory (Randolph, N.J./New Jersey RTC)
61 kg: Chris Cannon (Oceanport, N.J./Wildcat WC)
65 kg: Dom Demas (Columbus, Ohio/Oklahoma RTC)
70 kg: Brock Mauller (Columbia, Mo./Tiger Style WC)
74 kg: Peyton Robb (Owatonna, Minn./Nebraska Wrestling Training Center)
79 kg: Michael Labriola (Easton, Pa./Nebraska Wrestling Training Center)
86 kg: Myles Wilson (Junction, Colo./Hawkeye WC)
92 kg: Nino Bonaccorsi (Bethel Park, Pa./Pittsburgh WC)
97 kg: Jay Aiello (Chantilly, Va./Cavalier WC)
125 kg: Anthony Cassioppi (Roscoe, Ill./Hawkeye WC)

Women*

U.S. women’s freestyle roster
50 kg: Emily Shilson (Maple Grove, Minn./Titan Mercury WC)
53 kg: Ronna Heaton (Brookings, S.Dak./Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids WC)
55 kg: Alex Hedrick (Fair Oaks, Calif./Titan Mercury WC)
57 kg: Amanda Martinez (Riverside, Ill./Cardinal Wrestling Club)
59 kg: Michaela Beck (New York, N.Y./Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids WC)
62 kg: Emma Bruntil (Acme, Wash./Titan Mercury WC/McKendree Bearcat WC)
65 kg: Ashlynn Ortega (Pueblo, Colo./New York AC)
68 kg: Alyvia Fiske (Napa, Calif./Titan Mercury WC)
72 kg: Kayla Marano (Jefferson, Ga./McKendree Bearcat WC)
76 kg: Kylie Welker (Franksville, Wisc./Titan Mercury WC)

Edited by spladle08

4 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

On the women's side, without China and Japan, we should bring home a bunch of medals.

Are they skipping this as well? What's with those guys giving sickness it's due respect? 
Get out there and compete!!!!! 
Dom on the team? No Clue of her age, I'd guess 22. 
But checking on the girls team now. 

5 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

On the women's side, without China and Japan, we should bring home a bunch of medals.

added the roster to the post. 
Lets hope Welker gets some redemption. 
Team overall though is great, only 1 wrestler I don't expect a medal from (but could be my lack of knowledge)

32 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Are they skipping this as well? What's with those guys giving sickness it's due respect? 

Dom aged out in 2019. Sadly.
This would have been a year to win a gold medal.

My predictions.

50: Shilson should make the finals. She's very technical and persistent. Her recent focus on strength training should serve her well. Hopefully on the other side of the bracket from RUS.

53: Heaton should medal. Depends on the draw. She has improved markedly in the last year.

55: Hedrick's first time on the age group championship and a very defensive wrestler. I suspect she'll go 7th, depending on the bracket and the draw. I'll keep my fingers crossed though.

57: Martinez swapped in for Sisenstein (not sure why). She went 1-2 at OTT. Welcome to the world stage, kiddo.

59: Beck is another very defensive wrestler. 2 and out at OTT. Beat by Megan Black and Mota-Petis at WTT. 5th is my bet.

62: Bruntil lost twice to Jen Page at OTT. Had a good run. Gave quite a show at WTT giving Molinari all she wanted at 65s. I doubt anybody but Rizkho from UKR will challenge here. Should medal.

65: Ortega went 1-2 at OTT and 0-2 at WTT. 65s will be a tough weight. It'll be good experience though.

68: Fiske. It all depends which Lyv shows up. She could medal. She could go 1 and out. Both Fiske and Hedrick suffered from SFU not having a season last year due to COVID.Again, as an SFU partisan, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

72: Marano is a decent collegiate wrestler at this weight. She didn't go to OTT or WTT. 72s is deep this year. 7th is my bet.

76: Welker is a big, strong kid who made a splash at WTT and OTT against weak fields. Not very technical, but aggressive, which can substitute at this weight. If Kennedy Blades hadn't been seriously concussed, I think Blades would have beaten her handily. My guess is Welker gets bronze.

Just remember kiddos, free opinions are usually worth what you pay for them.

21 hours ago, spladle08 said:

It's because it's a tournament just to get international experience and it's not that important. 

2 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

It's because it's a tournament just to get international experience and it's not that important. 

I suspect COVID is the determining factor for Japan and China.

2017-2019, Dom had Okuno, Igarashi and Igarashi again at U23s.

Edited by Mike Parrish

19 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

I suspect COVID is the determining factor for Japan and China.

2017-2019, Dom had Okuno, Igarashi and Igarashi again at U23s.

Covid definitely is the main reason why both countries didn't send anybody.  Japan didn't send a team to this year's Cadet and Junior World Championships also because of rising covid numbers and I'm pretty sure if their girls/womens teams went, their cadet and junior teams would have easily won the team titles and I think our junior team would have only won one title(Kennedy Blades).

As far as Dom's matchups go this just proves my point, in 2017 Okuno was 18, not a vet on the senior circuit at at that time and she'd just won the senior world title.  Igarashi was 18 at the 2018 U23 World Championships as well, then of course 19 the next year.  Okuno was set to rule 53kg until Mukaida dropped for the Olympics and took that spot, but Fujinami is still 17 despite what the UWW website says(she turns 18 in less than 2 weeks).  Saki Igarashi has never been able to make the senior world team because of Mukaida, Okuno and this year, Tsugumi Sakurai at 55kg, so it's a good tournament to keep sharp, but like I've been saying, it's generally a tournament for wrestlers that can't make their county's Senior World Team.

37 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Is this the time(again) when folks start crying that FLO cost too much...

The cost isn't the issue to me. It's the terrible product and service.

They should spend the money upgrading their server and network infrastructure so we don't get drops in the middle of events.

If I pay for a service, I don't want to also be force fed ads in the video stream.

When I contact customer service over an issue, I don't appreciate being blown off or given snotty answers.

I'm happy to pay for a good product. Flo should fix the things that are broken with their existing offering.

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Is this the time(again) when folks start crying that FLO cost too much...

Wrestling parents will take off 2 days from work and pay 2 grand for a trip to Vegas for their 6th grade kid to earn All-American honors at a Junior High Nationals tournament before they'll pay $15 a month to watch that same tournament from their phone in 720p. Make it make sense.

3 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

The cost isn't the issue to me. It's the terrible product and service.

They should spend the money upgrading their server and network infrastructure so we don't get drops in the middle of events.

If I pay for a service, I don't want to also be force fed ads in the video stream.

When I contact customer service over an issue, I don't appreciate being blown off or given snotty answers.

I'm happy to pay for a good product. Flo should fix the things that are broken with their existing offering.

I haven't had any significant drops in years. I agree though, it used to be very frustrating. 

I have many paid subscriptions that have ads/commercials.  The ads/commercials are something FLO didn't have anywhere close to like they do now.  It's the worst part to me.

I remember when you could hardly get to customer service. But it's been so many years since I've needed them that I can't really comment.

I've been with them a bunch of years and I believe they've improved every year, with the exception of the ads/commercials. Which probably pay for the improvements.

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

I haven't had any significant drops in years. I agree though, it used to be very frustrating. 

I have many paid subscriptions that have ads/commercials.  The ads/commercials are something FLO didn't have anywhere close to like they do now.  It's the worst part to me.

I remember when you could hardly get to customer service. But it's been so many years since I've needed them that I can't really comment.

I've been with them a bunch of years and I believe they've improved every year, with the exception of the ads/commercials. Which probably pay for the improvements.

I have drops all the time.

As a software guy, this is particularly galling.

If you can't manage this part inhouse, outsource it to AWS and some contractors. Hell, they could contact me and I'd get them started pro bono.

Another annoyance is that many of the commentators are best when muted.

Edited by Mike Parrish

Women's draw are out.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/November/02/U23-Womens-Freestyle-Draws

Better than I would have hoped.

From my vantage, the only athlete of our who got a bum draw is Alyvia Fiske.
Turkey, Larroque from France and then UKR. That's a tough row to hoe.

Welker got a tough first round draw, but will sail to the finals if she wins it.

Edited by Mike Parrish

Women's draw are out.
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/November/02/U23-Womens-Freestyle-Draws
Better than I would have hoped.

From my vantage, the only athlete of our who got a bum draw is Alyvia Fiske.
Turkey, Larroque from France and then UKR. That's a tough row to hoe.

Welker got a tough first round draw, but will sail to the finals if she wins it.

Looks a little tough. I'm sure we will do well, our girls have looked awesome in 2021. A couple of tough draws in there and a couple of favorable ones. Doubt this looks as good as juniors but we'll definitely see some medals.

Welker had a tough opener at seniors as well, give her a warm up match once in awhile :)

Qualifying round:

Excellent, controlled opening match for Shilson. Wins by tech.

Beck taking more shots than I've seen recently but needs to find a way to finish them. Loses 6-1.

Welker wins a nail biter 6-5 over the toughest wrestler in the bracket(RUS). USA took every shot in the match.

Hedrick gets a forfeit due to opponent missing weight.

Fiske wins an ugly match which was going to be decided on two passivity points until a poorly executed move by TUR gives Fiske the fall.

Quarterfinal round:

Shilson looks really good. Sticks ROU with a near side cradle. Folkstyle roots working out OK these days...

Welker beats up LTU, pins her with a goofy over-the-shoulder cradle. Hmmm...

Beck is eliminated as Sazykina loses to UKR.

Hedrick in a really feisty match with Anju from IND. Very much improved shot, excellent gut wrench. Anju was pinned at the end of the match, time was called out. Getting done hard by the ref. Multiple challenges. Loses a heartbreaker 11-8. Grrrr.

Fiske has Larroque of FRA. Not able to get her offense going. Getting bulled around. Needs better shot setup at this level. Larroque just too much. Loses 12-0 near the end of time.

Flo's ads are getting more and more obnoxious.

3:45 minutes until the semis. Nap time.

Shilson has Hamdi (TUN)

Hedrick waiting to see how Anju does against Vaulina (RUS). <-- Should be a good match.

Beck is eliminated.

Fiske waiting to see how Larroque does against Chudyk(UKR)

Welker has Medet Kyzy(KGZ)

US tied for second place as a team.

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 05-08-13 FLOARENA.png

Edited by Mike Parrish