spladle08

U23 Worlds (Freestyle)

Qualifying round:

Excellent, controlled opening match for Shilson. Wins by tech.
Beck taking more shots than I've seen recently but needs to find a way to finish them. Loses 6-1.
Welker wins a nail biter 6-5 over the toughest wrestler in the bracket(RUS). USA took every shot in the match.
Hedrick gets a forfeit due to opponent missing weight.
Fiske wins an ugly match which was going to be decided on two passivity points until a poorly executed move by TUR gives Fiske the fall.

Quarterfinal round:
Shilson looks really good. Sticks ROU with a near side cradle. Folkstyle roots working out OK these days...
Welker beats up LTU, pins her with a goofy over-the-shoulder cradle. Hmmm...
Beck is eliminated as Sazykina loses to UKR.
Hedrick in a really feisty match with Anju from IND. Very much improved shot, excellent gut wrench. Anju was pinned at the end of the match, time was called out. Getting done hard by the ref. Multiple challenges. Loses a heartbreaker 11-8. Grrrr.
Fiske has Larroque of FRA. Not able to get her offense going. Getting bulled around. Needs better shot setup at this level. Larroque just too much. Loses 12-0 near the end of time.

Flo's ads are getting more and more obnoxious.

3:45 minutes until the semis. Nap time.
Shilson has Hamdi (TUN)
Hedrick waiting to see how Anju does against Vaulina (RUS). Beck is eliminated.
Fiske waiting to see how Larroque does against Chudyk(UKR)
Welker has Medet Kyzy(KGZ)

US tied for second place as a team.

1206848956_Screenshot2021-11-03at05-08-13FLOARENA.png.2b0b46f1ba94c2c63b34a60a01ba9b2e.png
Good recap!!! Thanks brother

Semifinals:

Shilson wins by forfeit. Not sure why. FLO WAS STUCK BUFFERING. Grrr. Will face Pawar(IND) in the finals.

Hedrick is eliminated as Anju loses to Vaulina 5-4. I really, really wish UWW would go to double elimination brackets with wrestle backs to third at conso finals.

Fiske is drawn back into repechage as Larroque wins 3-0. She'll have Monika (IND) next.

Welker loses 8-0 (I think, since Flo cut away before the match ended...) She's a big strong girl who could use some help with stance and motion. Particularly shot setups. She'll wrestle for third.

Edited by Mike Parrish

The commercials on Flo are so obnoxious and loud (I'm going to catch a cannonball) that I've resorted to muting all streams at the browser tab level.

I thought the business model for most sane streaming companies is "You pay for the service to AVOID the ads."

3 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

The commercials on Flo are so obnoxious and loud (I'm going to catch a cannonball) that I've resorted to muting all streams at the browser tab level.

I thought the business model for most sane streaming companies is "You pay for the service to AVOID the ads."

:) you're awesome . 
Ummm Welker was just a little overmatched there, no shame. Confident she will come away with bronze. 

Anyone in tomorrow's group you're expecting great results from?

*Welker's match was a 17year old vs a 22year old Senior World medalist, who was a criteria loss away from seeing Adeline in the finals.
People complaining about age is a big pet peeve of mine, I'm just saying she's got plenty of time to catch up technically. 
She'll snag some senior gold before its all said and done 

31 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

:) you're awesome . 
Ummm Welker was just a little overmatched there, no shame. Confident she will come away with bronze. 

Anyone in tomorrow's group you're expecting great results from?

I suspect Welker has been getting by for a while on raw athleticism. She needs a coach who can help her with basic technique.

She doesn't seem to have a go to move. She just goes in and hopes for the best. Against most US 76kg women wrestlers, that'll work.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow ...

53: Heaton should make the finals. She has a really good draw. The only potential bump along the way is Mariia Vynnyk (KAZ) in the quarterfinals.

57: Martinez - any win here will be a bonus. She's deep in the tough side of the bracket.

62: Bruntil looks like she should make the finals too. UKR in the semifinals might be a match. I suspect she'll face Anna Godinez Gonzalez (CAN) in the finals.

65: Ortega has a tough road. Like Martinez, any win is a bonus.

72: Marano should make the finals. She has an excellent draw in a soft bracket.

US Women's team still in second place behind RUS with IND and UKR tied for third. (Shouldn't that still be RWF due to sanctions from rampant cheating at Sochi?)

Edited by Mike Parrish

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

I suspect Welker has been getting by for a while on raw athleticism. She needs a coach who can help her with basic technique.

She doesn't seem to have a go to move. She just goes in and hopes for the best. Against most US 76kg women wrestlers, that'll work.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow ...

53: Heaton should make the finals. She a really good draw. The only potential bump along the way is Mariia VYNNYK (KAZ) in the quarterfinals.

57: Martinez - any win here will be a bonus. She's deep in the tough side of the bracket.

62: Bruntil looks like she should make the finals too. UKR in the semifinals might be a match. I suspect she'll face Anna Godinez Gonzalez (CAN) in the finals.

65: Ortega has a tough road. Like Martinez, any win is a bonus.

72: Marano should make the finals. She has an excellent draw in a soft bracket.

US Women's team still in second place behind RUS. (Shouldn't that still be RWF due to sanctions from rampant cheating at Sochi?)

I like the optimism. 
Lets go !

57kg- Pat Glory (Princeton)
61kg- Chris Cannon (Northwestern)
65kg- Dom Demas (Oklahoma)
70kg- Brock Mauller (Missouri)
74kg- Peyton Robb (Nebraska)
79kg- Jake Marsh (Princeton)
86kg- Myles Wilson (Iowa)
92kg- Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt)
97kg- Jay Aiello (Virginia)
125kg- Tony Cassioppi (Iowa)

Repechage:

68kg Fiske vs Monika (IND). Fiske wins 5-4 with a last minute take down and arm bar turn. IND should have gotten called passive and for an obvious pulling on the singlet. sigh. Fiske moves to the Bronze medal match vs Chudyk (UKR)

Qualifying round:

62kg Bruntil vs Cakmak(TUR) - a match of inches 1-1 at the break, Bruntil winning via snaps and go behinds. Folkstyle roots again. Spin drill clinic and 8-3 win.  Campagna(ITA) next.

53kg Heaton vs Makhyaddinova(KAZ) - Ronna is tenacious on defense. Scrambler. She's become much more comfortable shooting in the last year. Ronna steps over on a slow KAZ shot and almost pins her. KAZ shoots to the knees and gets steamrolled. Win by fall. Vynnyk(UKR) next.

57kg Martinez vs Bayanova(KAZ) - KAZ gets two cautions. 2-0 at the break. Martinez showing solid defense. Goes on offense, moving well. Three TDs and a gut. Nice, nice, nice. Wins by tech 10-0. Kolawole(NGR) next.

72kg Marano get a BYE. Nitu(ROU) next.

65kg Ortega get a forfeit. Jlassi(TUN) next.

Round of 16: 65kg only (biggest bracket)

65kg Ortega vs Jlassi(TUN) - Ortega on the attack. She's driving all the action. Got a little sloppy on a shot and gave up the TD. 2-2 at the break. Nice takedown off of a redirect to far ankle. Ortega wins 4-2. Nisha(IND) next.

Quarterfinals:

62kg Bruntil vs Campagna(ITA) - Bruntil looks tired. Not moving crisply. Campagna is running this match. 7-0 ITA at the break. Loses 11-0. Not characteristic of Bruntil's wrestling.

53kg Heaton vs Vynnyk(UKR) - Heaton with the crotch lift, but they give UKR the points. Grrr. UKR 2-0 at the break. Heaton gets caught in a head and arm at the 2:30 mark...tight. Heaton gets out of it. UKR gets another TD. Heaton loses 6-1. Well, poop.

72kg Marano vs Nitu(ROU)  - Marano in charge. Leads 5-0 at the break. Marano wins by tech 11-0. Alpyeyeva(UKR) next.

57kg Martinez vs Kolawole(NGR) - NGR looks ripped. Very strong. Martinez loses by tech 11-0 at 4:00 mark.

65kg Ortega vs Nisha(IND) - Physical match. Ortega had a nice ankle pick, gets hit with a folkstyle switch. IND 5-3 at the break. It looked like IND offered a handshake at the start of the second period, gave a quick pull on Ortega's hand and then shot off that. Grrr. IND gets a cradle. Ortega loses by fall.

Team scores

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 05-11-09 FLOARENA.png

Nap time until the semis.

Edited by Mike Parrish