freefolkfan

Khabib vs. Sadulaev

I am reading occasional discussions on Russian forums (and there is even an interview by Sadulaev after Tokyo) where people are discussing what will happen if they wrestle / grapple, etc. in a cage / ring / wrestling mat, etc. Some MMA fans even think in a cage Khabib may have a chance wrestling wise. Right now Khabib has said he doesn't see this wrestling match taking place due to weight class difference but it is possible at some point.

This match could be quite a bit of publicity push for wrestling (like Burroughs  / Askren) but I guess in this case some people really are thinking Khabib may have a chance in wrestling, due to his wrestling-based MMA style.

Khabib cuts down to fight at 155 pounds, 70 kg. He has fought at this weight without gas tank issues from the cut. When he is not training and controlling his weight, he probably blows up to around 185 pound, 84 kg. There are weight classes for a reason. Do you think JB could take on Sadulaev in wrestling and have a chance? This idea is ridiculous. Sadulaev is the best p4p wrestler in the world. 

24 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Sadulaev is far too respectful to actually do this, but he might actually, really hurt Khabib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.  Pretty sure that Khabib and Sadulaev are friends.  But this is a non-competitive wrestling match, as Sadulaev is not only heavier but also the best wrestler on the planet, whereas Khabib hasno senior level matches and hasn't trained exclusively for freestyle wrestling in years.  If this is combat sambo, that might be another story...

The interview with Sads on this (there are few others): https://rsport.ria.ru/20210807/sadulaev-1744845140.html

He says: "I will definitely not go to MMA, I still need my brains. But wrestling with Khabib would be interesting, of course. And I think me and him will definitely wrestle at some point. "

I am not sure how close friends they are -- Sad was asked once in an interview about this and he laughed it off and didn't answer. There seems to be some back story here -- given I keep reading about this match at various places, it sounded like Khabib or someone else has said something to Sad about this wrestling match and it annoys Sad. In contrast to Khabib, Sad says he is friends and likes Snyder and they write each other occasionally.  Also, at various Russian wrestling team practices on YouTube, I've seen MMA guys from Russia training (like Petr Yan), but I've never seen Sad go live with them, while some of the others do. There seems to be something about MMA that Sad doesn't like [he seems more of a classic wrestler, following rules, and doesn't like the drama or mixing styles] -- from his interviews about Snyder, he seems to like this part about Snyder as well.

I think the discussion I saw was more like if Khabib can get Sadulaev to the cage (if they do more of a Jon Jones/Henderson grappling match/wrestling match in a cage), whether Khabib can take him down with a Judo trip or something and keep him there? MMA fans seem to think Khabib has a 50/50 chance in the cage given Khabib is good at wrestling in a cage. Khabib walks around 200 lbs and Sad is not a huge 97kg wrestler. They may be close in weight, may be 5-10 lbs difference.

Edited by freefolkfan

11 hours ago, freefolkfan said:

The interview with Sads on this (there are few others): https://rsport.ria.ru/20210807/sadulaev-1744845140.html

He says: "I will definitely not go to MMA, I still need my brains. But wrestling with Khabib would be interesting, of course. And I think me and him will definitely wrestle at some point. "

I am not sure how close friends they are -- Sad was asked once in an interview about this and he laughed it off and didn't answer. There seems to be some back story here -- given I keep reading about this match at various places, it sounded like Khabib or someone else has said something to Sad about this wrestling match and it annoys Sad. In contrast to Khabib, Sad says he is friends and likes Snyder and they write each other occasionally.  Also, at various Russian wrestling team practices on YouTube, I've seen MMA guys from Russia training (like Petr Yan), but I've never seen Sad go live with them, while some of the others do. There seems to be something about MMA that Sad doesn't like [he seems more of a classic wrestler, following rules, and doesn't like the drama or mixing styles] -- from his interviews about Snyder, he seems to like this part about Snyder as well.

I think the discussion I saw was more like if Khabib can get Sadulaev to the cage (if they do more of a Jon Jones/Henderson grappling match/wrestling match in a cage), whether Khabib can take him down with a Judo trip or something and keep him there? MMA fans seem to think Khabib has a 50/50 chance in the cage given Khabib is good at wrestling in a cage. Khabib walks around 200 lbs and Sad is not a huge 97kg wrestler. They may be close in weight, may be 5-10 lbs difference.

So Sad competes at 213 lbs and Khabib competes at 115 lbs, but you think there 'may be 5-10 lbs difference." Huh? 

22 hours ago, NJDan said:

So Sad competes at 213 lbs and Khabib competes at 115 lbs, but you think there 'may be 5-10 lbs difference." Huh? 

There definitely is a weight difference. But I don't think Khabib has weighed 115 since he was a child.

Khabib now in retirement walks around 90kg. When he was training it was 84 and cut down to 70kg to compete.

Sad is thick. I don't imagine there is a huge cut there, but I reckon currently there would be at the minimum 10kg between the 2.

Let's not forget that Sad would throw him around but surely that goes without saying, with or without cage?

On 10/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, freefolkfan said:

Thanks for sharing the article.  So if they wrestle in a cage, would it just be takedowns?  No submissions?  

17 minutes ago, LJB said:

this thread is akin to kids sitting around the playground arguing about whose dad can beat up the other's dad...

If we are playing at your scenario in correlation, when speaking in terms of wrestling...

Sadulaev is the best fighter(wrestler) that has ever existed, with proven results against every man or beast that has stepped in front of him(wrestled).  He even lost to the peak-human Captain America once, but avenged it with ease several other times.  HE PUT HIM DOWN.  And he did all this at the 2nd to heaviest weight class.

Funnily enough, Nurmagomedov won a bunch of arm wrestling competitions(mma fights).  So folks think he can fight(wrestle).  He did this at an 'average' sized weight class(155).  Yet folks think he can fight(wrestle) with the GOAT fighter(wrestler) in Sadulaev, up at 213lbs.

It isn't even close.

Just now, nhs67 said:

If we are playing at your scenario in correlation, when speaking in terms of wrestling...

Sadulaev is the best fighter(wrestler) that has ever existed, with proven results against every man or beast that has stepped in front of him(wrestled).  He even lost to the peak-human Captain America once, but avenged it with ease several other times.  HE PUT HIM DOWN.  And he did all this at the 2nd to heaviest weight class.

Funnily enough, Nurmagomedov won a bunch of arm wrestling competitions(mma fights).  So folks think he can fight(wrestle).  He did this at an 'average' sized weight class(155).  Yet folks think he can fight(wrestle) with the GOAT fighter(wrestler) in Sadulaev, up at 213lbs.

It isn't even close.

no...

it is not close...

it so not close that even having the conversation is silly...

i would take umbrage with saying sadulaeuv is the best "fighter", but, semantics and all that...

I guess the discussion was more that Khabib has a very wrestling heavy style and is considered an MMA GOAT as well to some degree at least. And they are relatively close weight-size (Khabib is said to be around 90kg off season). So if they wrestle in a cage, some people speculated that Khabib could potentially push Sads against the cage and trip him down.  Its also interesting what happens submission-wise if they do that, could Khabib somehow take Sads down and take his back somehow.

I think this match is going to happen for sure in the next couple of years as they are from the same region, and it seems Sadulaev wants to get wrestling to be more popular. I saw an interview with him somewhere where they asked him what he thinks of Khabib's wrestling and again he didn't answer it directly, seems his opinion is not too high :)

There is a clip btw of Sads vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov, another MMA star from Dagestan play wrestling, so based on this people also thought Khabib would do better: 

Edited by freefolkfan

1 hour ago, freefolkfan said:

There is a clip btw of Sads vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov, another MMA star from Dagestan play wrestling, so based on this people also thought Khabib would do better: 

They are play wrestling on concrete/asphalt, so Sadulaev is probably going 5-10%.  If they were going full blast, he would've paralyzed Zabit. 

Okay.  So we can end this.

Any of the 70kg Russians on their ladder would destroy Nurmagomedov at wrestling.  Add two more Olympic weights up, or 5 UWW weights-what ever your fancy prefers.  That is how silly this sounds.  If Baev or Sidakov could bsat Sadulaev they would bump to take the spot from him.

btw, Khabib's father (RIP) said  Khabib regularly trains with Russian World Champion wrestlers and that if the match lasts 20 minutes he would beat any wrestler in the world, in wrestling, because Khabib would tire them out: he would lose the first 3-4 minutes and then equal the pace and then win towards the end. 

4 hours ago, freefolkfan said:

btw, Khabib's father (RIP) said  Khabib regularly trains with Russian World Champion wrestlers and that if the match lasts 20 minutes he would beat any wrestler in the world, in wrestling, because Khabib would tire them out: he would lose the first 3-4 minutes and then equal the pace and then win towards the end. 

And if wrestling matches were 3 minutes instead of 6. Yazdani would be 4-0 vs Taylor. But these kind of statements are a bit silly.

Khabib was awesome and I don't think in MMA you are going to find many to compare to him for a while. But saying he is competitive vs the best wrestler in the world who also happens to be heavier is mad.

Interestingly the 2 don't seem to be that fond of each other. Considering they are both Dagestani and both are kings in their sport which have close links. Probably some local politics between the 2 we are unaware of.

I would watch it though. Absulrashid would have fun.

Uwwdoc, I am not sure its local politics -- from all the interviews I've heard of Sads about MMA, he doesn't like it that MMA is recognized above freestyle wrestling as he somehow believes wrestling is the purest form of combat. He also, I think, doesn't like when they ask him if MMA fighter X is a great wrestler. And at training camp videos I've never seen him wrestle MMA guys, while the others do. 

btw, at 0:15 with Zabit, he tries to take Sads back, and Sads turn so fast towards him, its crazy. Also the wrestler Khabib's father referred to was Ahmed Gadzhimagomedov, the guy that beat Dake an lost to Dake.

Edited by freefolkfan

Against Sadulaev, there would have to be no tech falls and no pins. And Kabib would have to overcome about 100 points and broken ribs.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk