Sign in to follow this  
nhs67

Ohio State VS North Carolina

Sasso with a...entertaining performance. I don't know if I've just enjoyed a lot of freestyle recently, but watching folk style wasn't fun early in this dual in Smith and Jordan's matches. Sammy made it more interesting for me. 

11 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Sasso was uninspiring... 

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I did not expect that from Sherman.

I won't disagree. 

Sasso controlled everything and was not in any real danger, but he didn't score points either. It was a lot of effort for an unimpressive/expected win. 

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Sasso is a lot like Storr in that he will wrestle uninspiringly close matches with wrestlers he should destroy.  Then destroy them the next go.

In short, he is a winner.  Sometimes it isn't pretty, though.

You guys realize that Sherman is a returning AA (at 141) and preseason ranked in the top-10 at 149, right? 

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

You guys realize that Sherman is a returning AA (at 141) and preseason ranked in the top-10 at 149, right? 

And also, it’s November, and a November after an abnormal year and a half.  People usually don’t round into some type of form until January and that’s when things are “normal.”  I think they’ll be fine.

Zach Sherman is also a 5th year Junior and returning AA. Graduated HS in 2017 so he's like 23-24 and has a lot of experience. He beat Dom Demas at NCAA last year as well. Also FWIW he didn't score any offensive points. His points came on 2 penalties from Sasso on an illegal mat return and locked hands and an escape. Sasso had the only offensive points in the match on 1 takedown and riding time. Closer to a 3-0 match in reality.

Edited by DocBZ

I’m late to the party here (job change and newborn  occupies 98% of my time these days), but I wasn’t particularly inspired by UNC either. It would have been nice to have Max Shaw at 197 as I think he’s a diamond in the rough kind of recruit, but he had a pretty rough looking injury against Life University. The rest was about what I thought. One nitpick I have with Coleman and staff is they kept Lautt down at 174 for too long when everyone in the program knew Gavin Kane was going to be the guy there. I wish Lautt could’ve beefed up and cut down to 184. Right now he’s trying to grow his body into the size. I also was hoping Kane would have wrestling Ethan Smith better. Smith is an animal and gave our freshman an absolute beat down. Other than that we are pretty much what I expected. I was hoping Sasso may bump to 157 for the rematch but I get why he didn’t. 125 seems like it’ll be a little better than past years at least. The obvious goal for UNC is to catch VT and NC State. Unfortunately, I see no path there in the immediate future with how the roster is constructed. Oh well. Great smack down for Ohio State, they looked excellent.