Jump to content
southend

Mendez to Ohio St. ?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Idaho said:

I'm failing to see where his tweet said it was a lock.... He asks a question if Michigan is getting a shiny new toy tomorrow.  Was there another tweet that in some way said it was a lock? 

Well yeah that’s basically his schtick...claim he’s right if it happens, say he was “just speculating” if it doesn’t

He does still have this tweet up though...did Michigan do anything else in the past couple days?

 

 

 

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio State now has the consensus #1, #2 and #3 wrestlers in the class of 2022. They also have had the #1 rated wrestler in each of the last 2 classes by at least one publication (Kharchla and Paddy Gallagher). Insane....

Edited by DocBZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Ohio State now has the consensus #1, #2 and #3 wrestlers in the class of 2022. They also have had the #1 rated wrestler in each of the last 2 classes by at least one publication (Kharchla and Paddy Gallagher). Insane....

Sasso (149) has this year and next year, correct? And he is definitely top-3, possibly the favorite (depending on your tint of glasses).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Sasso would be a senior in 23. If the 22 class redshirts, Sasso would get 23 with the 22 RS class. All in for the win!

Is redshirting more valuable for those kids to prepare for next years "all in" year... or is actually wrestling (if they can make the starting team) more valuable for them to get better for next years "all in" year? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Is redshirting more valuable for those kids to prepare for next years "all in" year... or is actually wrestling (if they can make the starting team) more valuable for them to get better for next years "all in" year? 

 

I have no idea. Just a thought...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Is redshirting more valuable for those kids to prepare for next years "all in" year... or is actually wrestling (if they can make the starting team) more valuable for them to get better for next years "all in" year? 

 

In this case I think you redshirt all of them, based on what we know now.  Better to let them grow for a year and keep the core together on the same timeline.  

PSU only loses Nick Lee (while bringing in Van Ness), so realistically challenging for the title in 2022/23 would be difficult with a bunch of true freshmen in the lineup, unless they're ready to challenge for titles on an individual basis right out of the gate.  As good as they are, I don't think there's really a Dake or Snyder in the group.  

In 2023/24 you could have something like below.  PSU will also be loaded, though.  

125) Gonzalez
133) Bouzakis
141) Mendez
149) Decatur/D'Emilio
157) Sasso
165) Gallagher
174) Kharchla
184) Jordan
197) Shumate
285) Feldman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

In this case I think you redshirt all of them, based on what we know now.  Better to let them grow for a year and keep the core together on the same timeline.  

PSU only loses Nick Lee (while bringing in Van Ness), so realistically challenging for the title in 2022/23 would be difficult with a bunch of true freshmen in the lineup, unless they're ready to challenge for titles on an individual basis right out of the gate.  As good as they are, I don't think there's really a Dake or Snyder in the group.  

In 2023/24 you could have something like below.  PSU will also be loaded, though.  

125) Gonzalez
133) Bouzakis
141) Mendez
149) Decatur/D'Emilio
157) Sasso
165) Gallagher
174) Kharchla
184) Jordan
197) Shumate
285) Feldman

IMO if you are all in for '23 then you start the best kids at each weight no matter what. If you're  not all in for '23 then you are correct - you keep them in RS to keep them on the same timeline as a core group and get 4 good solid years. I think it depends on what  you want to do with 2023. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

In this case I think you redshirt all of them, based on what we know now.  Better to let them grow for a year and keep the core together on the same timeline.  

PSU only loses Nick Lee (while bringing in Van Ness), so realistically challenging for the title in 2022/23 would be difficult with a bunch of true freshmen in the lineup, unless they're ready to challenge for titles on an individual basis right out of the gate.  As good as they are, I don't think there's really a Dake or Snyder in the group.  

In 2023/24 you could have something like below.  PSU will also be loaded, though.  

125) Gonzalez
133) Bouzakis
141) Mendez
149) Decatur/D'Emilio
157) Sasso
165) Gallagher
174) Kharchla
184) Jordan
197) Shumate
285) Feldman

Rocco Welsh could crack that lineup too. Kilkeary also committed today and he could challenge Gonzalez.

Edited by DocBZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Idaho said:

IMO if you are all in for '23 then you start the best kids at each weight no matter what. If you're  not all in for '23 then you are correct - you keep them in RS to keep them on the same timeline as a core group and get 4 good solid years. I think it depends on what  you want to do with 2023. 

I just think all in in 2022/23 is probably jumping the gun.  

You could have something like:

125) Heinselman (SR) -- low AA
133) Bouzakis (True FR) -- AA?
141) Mendez (True FR) -- AA?
149) Sasso (RS JR) - Champ
157) Gallagher (RS FR) - AA?
165) Kharchla (RS SO) - AA
174) Smith (RS SR) - AA
184) Romero (RS SR) - AA
197) Hoffman (RS JR) - R12?
285) Orndorff (RS SR) - AA

Tough lineup, but I don't know if that's enough.  And if either of Mendez/Bouzakis aren't a significant improvement yet over guys like Decatur and D'Emilio, it's a waste.  

PSU will still have RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean, Kerkvliet as title contenders and proven commodities, + Howard, Facundo, Van Ness, Bartlett and Lee who mostly have huge upside.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I just think all in in 2022/23 is probably jumping the gun.  

You could have something like:

125) Heinselman (SR) -- low AA
133) Bouzakis (True FR) -- AA?
141) Mendez (True FR) -- AA?
149) Sasso (RS JR) - Champ
157) Gallagher (RS FR) - AA?
165) Kharchla (RS SO) - AA
174) Smith (RS SR) - AA
184) Romero (RS SR) - AA
197) Hoffman (RS JR) - R12?
285) Orndorff (RS SR) - AA

Tough lineup, but I don't know if that's enough.  And if either of Mendez/Bouzakis aren't a significant improvement yet over guys like Decatur and D'Emilio, it's a waste.  

PSU will still have RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean, Kerkvliet as title contenders and proven commodities, + Howard, Facundo, Van Ness, Bartlett and Lee who mostly have huge upside.  

I agree - I don't know if it is either - tough lineup that is dependent on the development of the young guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

In this case I think you redshirt all of them, based on what we know now.  Better to let them grow for a year and keep the core together on the same timeline.  

PSU only loses Nick Lee (while bringing in Van Ness), so realistically challenging for the title in 2022/23 would be difficult with a bunch of true freshmen in the lineup, unless they're ready to challenge for titles on an individual basis right out of the gate.  As good as they are, I don't think there's really a Dake or Snyder in the group.  

In 2023/24 you could have something like below.  PSU will also be loaded, though.  

125) Gonzalez
133) Bouzakis
141) Mendez
149) Decatur/D'Emilio
157) Sasso
165) Gallagher
174) Kharchla
184) Jordan
197) Shumate
285) Feldman

Do you think this is enough to beat Penn State and Iowa?  I still think they need upgrades at 125 and 149 (if Sasso goes at 157).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Do you think this is enough to beat Penn State and Iowa?  I still think they need upgrades at 125 and 149 (if Sasso goes at 157).

Iowa yes, they lose everybody.  Lee, DeSanto, Kem, Marinelli, Eierman, Murin, DeSanto -- all gone.  

Penn State maybe not. They'll have Starocci, Brooks and Kerkvliet anchoring their lineup. I'm also a believe in Bartlett (at the correct weight), and I don't see any way Facundo and Van Ness don't pan out.  I think both are probably 4x AA's and potentially champs.  

re: 125, Kilkeary committed today (class of 2023), so he's supposed to be their long-term solution at 125, but not sure he'll be ready to step in as a freshman.  

re: 149, it's easy to say it looks like it needs an upgrade right now, but we're not entirely sure what Decatur and D'Emilio are yet.  Two years from now both could be AA material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Rocco Welsh could crack that lineup too. Kilkeary also committed today and he could challenge Gonzalez.

Agreed, they should keep Sasso at 149 and put Welsh at 157.  

I think Vinny beats Gonzalez.  He's not going there to sit the bench behind a 1x CA state champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2021 at 11:04 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Agreed, they should keep Sasso at 149 and put Welsh at 157.  

I think Vinny beats Gonzalez.  He's not going there to sit the bench behind a 1x CA state champ.

I don't have any inside scoop on R Welsh but historically guys who are wrestling at 170 as juniors in HS are not making 157 in college. Just saying :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...