southend

Mendez to Ohio St. ?

6 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I don't have any inside scoop on R Welsh but historically guys who are wrestling at 170 as juniors in HS are not making 157 in college. Just saying :)

I thought Welsh was competing at 160 in May 2021?

If he's not a projected 157, then what is his college weight supposed to be?  Because I was responding to the post from @steamboat_charlie v2 who has Gallagher projected at 165 and Karchla projected at 174 for 2023-24. RW is not beating Karchla or Paddy.

4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

If he's not a projected 157, then what is his college weight supposed to be?  Because I was responding to the post from @steamboat_charlie v2 who has Gallagher projected at 165 and Karchla projected at 174 for 2023-24. RW is not beating Karchla or Paddy.

Welsh is currently ranked at #3 at 170 lbs by Flo.  He wrestled at 170 in Who's # 1 and I would guess he intends to compete there this upcoming season.  He is only a junior in HS so it is always a crap shoot trying to predict how big these guys will be when they get to college.  Most programs seem to try and scoop up the highest level talent they can and let it all work itself out.  I would be surprised if he ever wrestles lighter than 174 in college and could see him as a 184 or 197 guy.

16 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Not sure I see Kharchla at 174 he's short for 165 and already pretty developed. I could see him at 165 for his career.

18 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I see.  So you have Sasso at 149, Paddy at 157, Karchla at 165, and Welsh at 174 in 2023-24?

Not sure. I do remember Sasso talking about it being a tough cut to stay at 149. He will probably drive what happens I guess. No clue if he sticks around that long either.

Edited by DocBZ

On 11/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, DocBZ said:

Not sure. I do remember Sasso talking about it being a tough cut to stay at 149. He will probably drive what happens I guess. No clue if he sticks around that long either.

Agreed.  I think Sammy is significantly more disciplined than he was as a freshman (understandably), so I have no doubt he could stay at 149.  But I think he could be just as successful at 157 next year.  He's looked comfortable competing at 70kg in the past.