Sign in to follow this  
AHamilton

Khabib vs. Kayla Harrison in Judo

9 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Who ya got?

World champ and two time Olympic medalist Jimmy Pedro says Kayla wins in Judo unless Khabib has some advanced pedigree.  Says "not mma, not wrestling, not submission grappling, but yes in judo."  

I got Khabib taking this, but I doubt many on this board know who Kayla is without using Google

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I got Khabib taking this, but I doubt many on this board know who Kayla is without using Google

Probably Khabib would win. Does he have any competition Judo in his background?

However, with today's Judo rules which severely limit techniques and have many obscure penalties especially for illegal gripping, it is possible Kayla could win.

And yes it is a silly discussion, which does not belong on something as serious as an internet wrestling forum ;)

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

Probably Khabib would win. Does he have any competition Judo in his background?

However, with today's Judo rules which severely limit techniques and have many obscure penalties especially for illegal gripping, it is possible Kayla could win.

And yes it is a silly discussion, which does not belong on something as serious as an internet wrestling forum ;)

Khabib is a judo black belt and I believe he has a significant background in sambo as well.  If you guys knew Kayla's game which is heavily based in newaza, this is not a good matchup for her.  Khabib is bigger, stronger, and she is not going to submit him on the ground.  Tachiwaza is not Kayla's strong point imo.

9 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

I would ****ing wreck Khabib at building real time operating system drivers incorporating functional safety requirements for L4 autonomous electric vehicles.

BRING IT!

He would break your neck before you could pull up any system file

21 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Khabib is a judo black belt and I believe he has a significant background in sambo as well.  If you guys knew Kayla's game which is heavily based in newaza, this is not a good matchup for her.  Khabib is bigger, stronger, and she is not going to submit him on the ground.  Tachiwaza is not Kayla's strong point imo.

I did not know Khabib's Judo background. I do know Kayla's style, which is why I figured the only hope for Kayla was to exploit some of the quirks in the Judo rules to win on penalties, which should not happen if Khabib has a reasonable amount of Judo competition

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

I did not know Khabib's Judo background. I do know Kayla's style, which is why I figured the only hope for Kayla was to exploit some of the quirks in the Judo rules to win on penalties, which should not happen if Khabib has a reasonable amount of Judo competition

Agreed.  Her best chance is to frustrate him with grip fighting, which she is outstanding at, and play the shido game.  She is not throwing him, and can't beat him on the ground even though she is the best female newaza player in quite some time.

2 hours ago, freefolkfan said:

Actually it got amplified by Jimmy Pedro who said on the Lex Fridman podcast that Kayla would beat Khabib strictly in Judo.

Jimmy knows way more about judo than me, but he is extremely biased toward Kayla (his student).  She used to compete in the second heaviest in judo, which is considered one of the technically weaker women's divisions.  If you watch her judo matches, she relies on power, gripping, and newaza.  Her tachiwaza isn't clean or technical enough to throw a guy like Khabib, who not only is a shodan himself but also is significantly stronger and faster than she is.  

Kayla has two Olympic gold medals, and she is the greatest American female judoka ever, but let's not pretend she is on the same technical level as Abe Uta of Japan or Clarisse Agbegnenou of France.