Fletcher

Diakamilhalis @149?

8 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

In those scrambles, if Yianni keeps his head too close to his knee for too long Sasso just may flip him over for the fall...

He is known for that afterall...

I once tripped while running and skinned my knee.  Now I'm known for that.

46 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

The disrespect you guys have for Yianni is crazy.  One guy here thinks Tariq can beat him, now you think O'Connor is too strong for him.  I guess we see it differently.

He hasn’t wrestled folkstyle since 2019, he hasn’t looked unbeatable in Free , has a new coach and is moving up a weight class 

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He hasn’t wrestled folkstyle since 2019, he hasn’t looked unbeatable in Free , has a new coach and is moving up a weight class 

Mike Grey has been his de facto coach for four years now.

How do you think his not *competing* folkstyle will negatively affect his game?  Not that I know anything, but I suspect that both Yianni and Vito will be
better at folkstyle after improving their freestyle games these past two years.

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

10/10? Bold statement for a guy who won both his titles in the final seconds. You also have to account for the weight class jump - some guys do better up a weight; many do worse. Folkstyle match at 70kg - AOC would just be too strong for him.

They would never meet in folkstyle at 70kg.  It would be freestyle.  Johnny D wins 10 out of 10 times.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

The disrespect you guys have for Yianni is crazy.  One guy here thinks Tariq can beat him, now you think O'Connor is too strong for him.  I guess we see it differently.

How is picking one national champ over another national champ disrespectful? Somebody's gotta win.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

They would never meet in folkstyle at 70kg.  It would be freestyle.  Johnny D wins 10 out of 10 times.

This is the college board and we wrestle folkstyle. Freestyle is a different sport. How many head-to-heads does Yianni win in folkstyle?

1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

Interesting...Latest I've been told is Yianni is staying 141, doesn't want to get too big for 65kg. Who knows though, things change fast in these times. 

how is college 149lbs too big for international 65kg?

8 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

This is the college board and we wrestle folkstyle. Freestyle is a different sport. How many head-to-heads does Yianni win in folkstyle?

Oh bugger off with that *yaderp*ThIsIsAfOlKsTyLeFoRuM*yaderp* bullcrap.  The only way they could possibly meet each other in the future as of now is if it is freestyle up at 70 keggers.

If they were to go folkstyle at 149lbs this weekend against one another I would take Johnny D in a fairly comfortable, by his standards, win.

26 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Oh bugger off with that *yaderp*ThIsIsAfOlKsTyLeFoRuM*yaderp* bullcrap.  The only way they could possibly meet each other in the future as of now is if it is freestyle up at 70 keggers.

If they were to go folkstyle at 149lbs this weekend against one another I would take Johnny D in a fairly comfortable, by his standards, win.

If you think Yianni wins straight up in folk, then there was no need for you to change the weight class and create a fictional freestyle match-up. Weird. 

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

If you think Yianni wins straight up in folk, then there was no need for you to change the weight class and create a fictional freestyle match-up. Weird. 

You're wrong.  That is okay, though.  I can explain it even more simply for you.  I am sorry you need me to.

They aren't going to meet in folkstyle.  Ever.

The only chance they ever meet is freestyle.  Period.

The only weight they could see each other at in freestyle is 70kg.  70kg.

I didn't create anything.  I explained how and where the only place they might ever wrestle in the future.  Only.

Simple enough?

9 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Lmao, thinking Tariq Wilson can beat someone is not "disrespectful."

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You're wrong.  That is okay, though.  I can explain it even more simply for you.  I am sorry you need me to.

They aren't going to meet in folkstyle.  Ever.

The only chance they ever meet is freestyle.  Period.

The only weight they could see each other at in freestyle is 70kg.  70kg.

I didn't create anything.  I explained how and where the only place they might ever wrestle in the future.  Only.

Simple enough?

Go back to the very first post in this thread. Yup - that was me, asking how Yianni and AOC would match up at 149 at NCAAs. You're the one who changed the subject mid-stream.

You seem like the type who needs to get in the last word to feel like you "won". I'll allow you to have that.

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

Go back to the very first post in this thread. Yup - that was me, asking how Yianni and AOC would match up at 149 at NCAAs. You're the one who changed the subject mid-stream.

You seem like the type who needs to get in the last word to feel like you "won". I'll allow you to have that.

Or you wont...

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

AOC weighs 149? She must be really tall...

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Thank you, boo.

1 hour ago, DBHoops said:

Saying Tariq "would/will" beat Yianni could be considered disrespectful, yeah. Saying he "can" is way different, and not.

Agree to disagree then.  However, there are no data points to suggest that Tariq has a chance  to beat Yianni.  Tariq has gone 3rd/DNP/3rd at NCAA's, while Yianni has won 1st twice in his only two tries.  They went head-to-head in freestyle less than a year ago in a match where Yianni teched him and Tariq didn't score a single point.  Tariq hasn't defeated any common opponents that Yianni has lost to.  In fact, Yianni's only collegiate loss was to Eierman, which he's avenged three times subsequently.  When Tariq wrestled Eierman, he got pinned in the first round.  Tariq also has 2 losses to Mitch Moore and 1 to Chad Red, who Yianni has beaten both comfortably.  All of this suggests to me that they are not on the same level.  Yianni 10/10.

Question, are people looking at matchups.. or whining about “disrespect” and other such ba

Sasso will always be in a position to beat almost anyone in folk. He can ride almost anyone just long enough and escape from everyone and his offense is passable enough his cradle defense gives him an Ace card. However, outside of trapping people in his cradle, his regular offense and short offense/reattacks aren’t good enough to not be in close matches. 

Do I think Yianni is better? Yes, but Sasso wrestling him in folk is entirely different than in free. And While Yianni is better at scrambling, Sasso is better at getting to a cradle from them in folk. 

Yianni vs O’Connor at 149 (assuming Yianni “went 149” instead of “wrestling up”) is an absolutely horrible matchup for Yianni. His main shot is a clean, usually well set up, double leg. He’s a far better handfighter. And his short offense is both amazing and punishing in a beautiful old school way.

As far as Tariq. First, He’s the kind of wrestler who always wrestled better at tournaments than duals. Wrestling Tariq at ACC or NCAAs is not the same as Tariq during a regular season dual. And IIRC he was like that in HS as well. It’s not just a weight cutting issue. Second , his style and length will keep him in matches. Third, his DNP year was a triple OT loss to Ward who he had wrestled something like 4-5 times that year. So no.. Saying Tariq CAN beat Yianni at NCAAs is not “disrespectful”

Also, I think people are forgetting how inconsistent Yianni can actually be

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agree to disagree then.  However, there are no data points to suggest that Tariq has a chance  to beat Yianni.  Tariq has gone 3rd/DNP/3rd at NCAA's, while Yianni has won 1st twice in his only two tries.  They went head-to-head in freestyle less than a year ago in a match where Yianni teched him and Tariq didn't score a single point.  Tariq hasn't defeated any common opponents that Yianni has lost to.  In fact, Yianni's only collegiate loss was to Eierman, which he's avenged three times subsequently.  When Tariq wrestled Eierman, he got pinned in the first round.  Tariq also has 2 losses to Mitch Moore and 1 to Chad Red, who Yianni has beaten both comfortably.  All of this suggests to me that they are not on the same level.  Yianni 10/10.

I only see 1 loss to Moore, and that and the Red loss were in 2020 when he took a few losses and of course there was no NCAA tournament.   Obviously last year was a shortened season but his only loss was to Eierman and he majored both Red and Rivera (and also beat Demas).