Fletcher

Diakamilhalis @149?

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I only see 1 loss to Moore, and that and the Red loss were in 2020 when he took a few losses and of course there was no NCAA tournament.   Obviously last year was a shortened season but his only loss was to Eierman and he majored both Red and Rivera (and also beat Demas).

You're right.  Tariq won the other match against Moore in SV.  I misread the result.  

My point was that based on resume and results, YD and TW are not in the same class.

12 hours ago, jp157 said:

Question, are people looking at matchups.. or whining about “disrespect” and other such ba

Sasso will always be in a position to beat almost anyone in folk. He can ride almost anyone just long enough and escape from everyone and his offense is passable enough his cradle defense gives him an Ace card. However, outside of trapping people in his cradle, his regular offense and short offense/reattacks aren’t good enough to not be in close matches. 

Do I think Yianni is better? Yes, but Sasso wrestling him in folk is entirely different than in free. And While Yianni is better at scrambling, Sasso is better at getting to a cradle from them in folk. 

Yianni vs O’Connor at 149 (assuming Yianni “went 149” instead of “wrestling up”) is an absolutely horrible matchup for Yianni. His main shot is a clean, usually well set up, double leg. He’s a far better handfighter. And his short offense is both amazing and punishing in a beautiful old school way.

As far as Tariq. First, He’s the kind of wrestler who always wrestled better at tournaments than duals. Wrestling Tariq at ACC or NCAAs is not the same as Tariq during a regular season dual. And IIRC he was like that in HS as well. It’s not just a weight cutting issue. Second , his style and length will keep him in matches. Third, his DNP year was a triple OT loss to Ward who he had wrestled something like 4-5 times that year. So no.. Saying Tariq CAN beat Yianni at NCAAs is not “disrespectful”

Also, I think people are forgetting how inconsistent Yianni can actually be

Not out to argue, but can you explain how Yianni is inconsistent in NCAA wrestling?  56-1 and 2x NCAA titles.  

11 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

You're right.  Tariq won the other match against Moore in SV.  I misread the result.  

My point was that based on resume and results, YD and TW are not in the same class.

I’d agree for the most part, and to be clear I never even really said I thought Wilson would/could beat him, I said “I’d give him as good a chance as anyone.”   However people have beaten other guys “not in the same class.”  I could see Wilson winning maybe 1/10 times.

1 hour ago, wcoyote said:

Not out to argue, but can you explain how Yianni is inconsistent in NCAA wrestling?  56-1 and 2x NCAA titles.  

His performance in matches. Primarily due to mishandling his cut by his own admission. Played with fire a lot. His freestyle performances have been streaky as well. Is he clearly the best wrestler? Yes. But the margins aren’t what some are trying to say they are. 

That being said. Dake played with fire a lot his fr and so seasons and then created much more clear separation as a junior. I won’t be shocked if Yianni does that. 

17 minutes ago, jp157 said:

His performance in matches. Primarily due to mishandling his cut by his own admission. Played with fire a lot. His freestyle performances have been streaky as well. Is he clearly the best wrestler? Yes. But the margins aren’t what some are trying to say they are. 

That being said. Dake played with fire a lot his fr and so seasons and then created much more clear separation as a junior. I won’t be shocked if Yianni does that. 

If he’s at 141 he’s not clearly the best wrestler…..

29 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

If he’s at 141 he’s not clearly the best wrestler…..

Ah I had a blank moment and forgot about Nick Lee. My brain was focused on 149. Though Yianni vs Lee in folk is not the same as freestyle. But you are right.

Dont worry Tbar I wasn’t trying to deliberately disrespect PSU. 

21 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Ah I had a blank moment and forgot about Nick Lee. My brain was focused on 149. Though Yianni vs Lee in folk is not the same as freestyle. But you are right.

Dont worry Tbar I wasn’t trying to deliberately disrespect PSU. 

Lee beat up yianni in free last time they wrestled, I think Nick lee is better in both styles to be honest 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I’d agree for the most part, and to be clear I never even really said I thought Wilson would/could beat him, I said “I’d give him as good a chance as anyone.”   However people have beaten other guys “not in the same class.”  I could see Wilson winning maybe 1/10 times.

Yianni is 12-1 career vs. top ten ranked guys, so, yeah, some random top ten guy might win once out of ten tries if you go by statistics alone.

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

Looking at Yianni's record his sophomore year, I don't see any close matches other than against top ten level guys.  His freshman year, only his close match with AC Headlee stands out.  Can you point to the "lots" of times he was playing with fire?  I don't think winning close matches against the likes of McKenna, Eierman, Meredith, Demas, and Heil counts as "playing with fire," do you?  What margins do you think some are trying to say he has, and what do you think those margins have been in reality?  A 65% career bonus rate (and he's never been touted as a big bonus guy:  he's touted as a guy who wins) with a pretty high RPI (soph year's RPI was higher than any of Lee's, and only Spencer Lee's RPIs seem comparable).

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Lee beat up yianni in free last time they wrestled, I think Nick lee is better in both styles to be honest 

Yeah, definitely.  Lee's about 1-6 against Yianni, and beat him after he had his hopes of competing at the olympics dashed....Definitely far superior to Yianni, and in both styles  :)

52 minutes ago, klehner said:

Looking at Yianni's record his sophomore year, I don't see any close matches other than against top ten level guys.  His freshman year, only his close match with AC Headlee stands out.  Can you point to the "lots" of times he was playing with fire?  I don't think winning close matches against the likes of McKenna, Eierman, Meredith, Demas, and Heil counts as "playing with fire," do you?  What margins do you think some are trying to say he has, and what do you think those margins have been in reality?  A 65% career bonus rate (and he's never been touted as a big bonus guy:  he's touted as a guy who wins) with a pretty high RPI (soph year's RPI was higher than any of Lee's, and only Spencer Lee's RPIs seem comparable).

When I’ve watched him wrestle in matches that aren’t mismatches I don't see anything that makes me think he’s god tier level above people that I’m auto assigning wins.

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

When I’ve watched him wrestle in matches that aren’t mismatches I don't see anything that makes me think he’s god tier level above people that I’m auto assigning wins.

I really think Yianni decided not to put a lot of time into things that give him separation in folkstyle but don't help him internationally.  As a result he just isn't gonna dominate like some guys, but ultimately I don't think it makes him that much more vulnerable to being upset. Maybe I'm just making excuses but that's my take.

27 minutes ago, RED said:

Yeah, definitely.  Lee's about 1-6 against Yianni, and beat him after he had his hopes of competing at the olympics dashed....Definitely far superior to Yianni, and in both styles  :)

Lee won the most recent match up convincingly, while yianni was only training freestyle…and lee has improved a lot in folk the past 2 years while yianni hasn’t even wrestled it 

Are you suggesting that Lee didn’t have dreams of wrestling at the Olympics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I really think Yianni decided not to put a lot of time into things that give him separation in folkstyle but don't help him internationally.  As a result he just isn't gonna dominate like some guys, but ultimately I don't think it makes him that much more vulnerable to being upset. Maybe I'm just making excuses but that's my take.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, RED said:

My favorite kind of argument.

First, make up some silly numbers. 1-6? They are 1-1 against each other in college and the two matches were 3 years apart. Perhaps pre-puberty Yianni was 5-0 against Lee. Don't know. Also don't care.

Next, claim Yianni was a little sad that day he lost. Oh, he was sad? Well then never mind. That one doesn't count. But you still get your participation trophy.

Of course, none of this matters in either direction. It's Rivera's weight to lose, just ask the Flo guys. They are all always Rivera's weight to lose.

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My favorite kind of argument.

First, make up some silly numbers. 1-6? They are 1-1 against each other in college and the two matches were 3 years apart. Perhaps pre-puberty Yianni was 5-0 against Lee. Don't know. Also don't care.

Next, claim Yianni was a little sad that day he lost. Oh, he was sad? Well then never mind. That one doesn't count. But you still get your participation trophy.

Of course, none of this matters in either direction. It's Rivera's weight to lose, just ask the Flo guys. They are all always Rivera's weight to lose.

I have to apologize, 1-6 was a gross exaggeration.  Not sure how many times they wrestled, but it wans't close to 7.