Sign in to follow this  

Wrestlestat rankings

Disclaimer: I think wrestlestat is the best thing to happen to wrestling statistics since ever

But, what is the deal with the rankings?

I know it’s an algorithm but is there no additional weight on the NCAA’s compared to the Last Chance Open?

With 10 returning champs, only 4 are currently ranked #1, and one of those is O’Connor who’s bumping up.   Many of the current #1’s lost to the returning champ.

RBY #3 - behind Desanto even who he’s now beaten 3x in a row, unless wrestlestat is like Flo and doesn’t count injury defaults then it’s 2x

Nick Lee #2 behind Eierman

Carr #3 - as mentioned O’Connor #1, also behind Deakin but technically maybe there’s an argument for that at least since he and Deakin didn’t wrestle in 2021 and Deakin did beat him in 2020

Griffith #2 behind Marinelli

Starocci #4!!

Brooks #2 behind Amine

34 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t recall it being this bad, I thought it was usually just a few outliers, not the majority of weights

It does happen every year.  They also make slight tweaks each year, maybe even a couple times a year, so that it better reflects results.

For example, bonus or pin didn't used to be weighted so much.  There was also a point in time when they were weighted more greatly.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Don't use wrestlestat for their rankings, which as you correctly noted are dumb. Use them for their data set, which is tremendous. 

If you actually took the time to figure out how they are done, they make much more sense.  Like Willie said, they are more a rating than a ranking.  A guy like Eierman has 4 full years of wrestling to get credited for a bunch of wins over Finalists and Champs throughout.  That holds a lot of sway over a loss in OT when rating a wrestler over his entire career.

Now, if you were simply ranking wrestlers going into the season based on the most recent results, you admittedly shouldn't use this system and those in charge of Wrestlestat have said as much...

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Now, if you were simply ranking wrestlers going into the season based on the most recent results, you admittedly shouldn't use this system and those in charge of Wrestlestat have said as much...

Time after time. Year after year.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

If you actually took the time to figure out how they are done, they make much more sense.  Like Willie said, they are more a rating than a ranking.  A guy like Eierman has 4 full years of wrestling to get credited for a bunch of wins over Finalists and Champs throughout.  That holds a lot of sway over a loss in OT when rating a wrestler over his entire career.

If I took the time to..........? Lol. 

They call them rankings, hence the reader and the OP of this thread takes them as rankings. 

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

The service is absolutely worthless every year until after the new year and guys actually wrestle other guys.  Just like every other ranking service.

lol. the service is in-freakin-dispensible. 

if you're using it for rankings you're a dummy.

13 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

lol. the service is in-freakin-dispensible. 

if you're using it for rankings you're a dummy.

Absolutely. The common opponent tool alone is worth it. In fact, this just prompted me to donate to them because the amount of use I get out of the site to simply fact-check my content is indispensable, to parrot Willie's word. 

46 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Absolutely. The common opponent tool alone is worth it. In fact, this just prompted me to donate to them because the amount of use I get out of the site to simply fact-check my content is indispensable, to parrot Willie's word. 

Was JUST thinking this yesterday so signed up for Rokfin through them. I don't want to live in a world without WS.

5 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Is this not a flaw in the algorithm though that could be corrected?  I think there can be more value in their rankings which have no subjectivity, but to me this means too much weight is given to results from 3+ years ago.

This is a solution looking for a problem.  Maybe wrestlestat is using an advanced Machine Learning algorithm.  It is AI.  It has its own opinion!  IIRC, wrestlestat holds its own in pick 'em contests.  They beat the hell out of flo, so maybe we should all embrace the future and put our money on neural net.

3 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Braxton Amos moved up to #106, so there's that.

Yeah.  He beat a MAC can o' potatoes.  Why would he move higher for that?  The guy was 3-6 last year, including 0-2 af the MAC Championships.