Sign in to follow this  
Mustang84

Brown and SIU

I can tell you that the wrestlers at SIUE have heard nothing on the coaching search. All but 3 wrestlers that will return next season have left campus for the summer without a coach. They were hoping to meet their new coach before school ended but it did not happen. It is possible that only the 3 wrestlers that have stayed for the summer will meet their new coach before the fall. SIUE does things a little different. Last year they brought in the 2 Women's Basketball Head Coaching candidates in for a meet and greet.

I have heard a rumor of who is in the running for the SIUE job and I will remain silent on Who but he is an assistant of a big big public East Coast university and is originally from around the Illinois/Missouri Area. (Basically I don't want to jinx it. Cause I hope he gets it)

I hope SIUE does the right thing and get's this done quick with the right hire. It could be an outstanding program again. Not sure who are talking about killdozer, Fanthorpe now at PSU comes to mind, however there are some other guys with deep Illinois ties coaching now that would be a great fit for that program.

^^^That asst coach you allude to is one of my favorite wrestling people. (Actually two guys being mentioned are from that general area and assts at southeastern universities). I heard the SIUE position was officially going to be posted on or about May 8. Please, anyone who finds it, plz post the link. Thanks.

Marv Albert!!?? I have no idea who we're talking about but Alex Clemson is an assistant at Virginia right? But he's not from the Illinois area. He's from Moberly which is the Columbia area. Middle of the state so I guess we aren't talking about him. I did notice he was on the best assistant poll and had more votes than the Bull did but so did the coach from Wabash. I don't think speaking names will jinx anything by the way.

I have heard a rumor of who is in the running for the SIUE job and I will remain silent on Who but he is an assistant of a big big public East Coast university and is originally from around the Illinois/Missouri Area. (Basically I don't want to jinx it. Cause I hope he gets it)

that would be Matt Lackey I guess

The three finalist for the SIUE job will be on campus between June 3rd and June 5th to meet with the wrestlers that make it back to campus. This will be a meet and greet situation. They did the same thing last year before hiring a new Women's Basketball Coach.

The email did not state who the 3 finalist were. Last year thay released that info a few days before the event.

The job posting states it is a 1-year term with possible renewal.

does anyone know whats going on here? someone must have some insider information. these schools should have made a decision by now, you would think.

The article posted above gives the interview schedule at SIU, the last candidate interview will be today - so I would hope the decision is not made yet!

Not sure what the timeline is at Brown.

I was speaking of Clemson when I first posted it. I think all three would be great hires. But Spates maybe the best with his connections to Ok, MO, and PA.Also from a fundraising, getting Alumni involved, which is what SIU-E needs. Spates has worked under Brian Smith, Rob Koll and his dad who were all great at both of those.. Maybe it rubbed off. I do think all three would be good choices.

Last year it was 9-days between the Women's Basketball finalist on campus interviews and the official announcement. I would expect sometime toward the end of next week an announcement to be posted.

I am hoping for Spates for the reasons that killdozer mentioned but also his pedigree. His dad was a great coach but more importantly a great person whom I have had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions.