Lurker

Bassett is set free

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The silver lining in all this is that now he doesn't have to waste his time in folkstyle the next three years!  His prospects at future olympic gold just got alot better.

Why do you say this. As far as I know, the US has produced just one medalist, Cejudo, who did not wrestle in college. Do you think that guys who did not medal would have done better by avoiding college? Who do you have in mind? Are there any wrestlers who avoided college and failed to medal?

28 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why do you say this. As far as I know, the US has produced just one medalist, Cejudo, who did not wrestle in college. Do you think that guys who did not medal would have done better by avoiding college? Who do you have in mind? Are there any wrestlers who avoided college and failed to medal?

That's a very good point, the first guy to snub folk so he could concentrate solely on free....became the youngest olympic champ in the history of Team USA.

Then a few years later this other guy decided: I'm not going to waste my time with the HS folk season, I'm going to move to the OTC and focus on freestyle.  A couple years later he broke that record and became the new youngest Olympic champ in the history of Team USA.  

See, you are capable of making a good point every once in a while!

32 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's a very good point, the first guy to snub folk so he could concentrate solely on free....became the youngest olympic champ in the history of Team USA.

Then a few years later this other guy decided: I'm not going to waste my time with the HS folk season, I'm going to move to the OTC and focus on freestyle.  A couple years later he broke that record and became the new youngest Olympic champ in the history of Team USA.  

See, you are capable of making a good point every once in a while!

You don't really get what I am saying. There is ONE guy who followed your advice and won gold. I don't count Snyder b/c he did wrestle folk. What I don't know is is freestyle-only guys are one for one or whether there are others who I don't know about who lost.

Just now, NJDan said:

You don't really get what I am saying. There is ONE guy who followed your advice and won gold. I don't count Snyder b/c he did wrestle folk. What I don't know is is freestyle-only guys are one for one or whether there are others who I don't know about who lost.

Sounds like you have some google reading to do.

PS- I never gave Cejudo any advice, I can't take any credit for that.

The silver lining in all this is that now he doesn't have to waste his time in folkstyle the next three years!  His prospects at future olympic gold just got alot better.
So what's the Bassett situation ? I'm out of the loop.
And clearly it works for elite level guys to focus more on freestyle than folk.
See: Cejudo, Snyder, Pico.
@NJDan folkstyle is all we offer in the school system. Its what we reward with praise, exposure, scholarships, historical significance, etc... So yes by the time kids become adults 99% of the elites have wrestled Folkstyle the entire time ....

To@Lurker 's point.... The ones who have veered from the path have become competent a lot quicker.

So Bassett is going full time freestyle?

3 minutes ago, Jim L said:

It is against the rules for private schools to recruit?

Depends on the state and most importantly “how” it’s done

EDIT: it also depends on the type of private school. Is it a tiny little church school, or is it a prep school like Baylor TN, Blair, etc. different rules apply. 
I’ve seen it come down to what “kind” of catholic school it is and how much resources it allocates to sports affects recruiting rules. 

Some states also allow it but do multipliers for guys far away. 

TLDR: it’s a lesson in the Federal system 

Edited by jp157

2 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Does this mean that McCourt drops out of the PIAA and joins the same org that Wyoming Sem is in?

I added on. It also very much depends on what school it is. “Old money” or “traditional” power programs often get more “wiggle” room than upstart programs 

1 minute ago, Yellow_Medal said:

Are you trying to fire up the NJDan machine?

if i want that kind of "entertainment" i will pull up old episodes of sesame street or something similar...

i was just curious if literally any wrestling specific news source is reporting on this because i am not seeing any of them with anything so far...

for all the flo whining that goes on this silly bbs , this is a legitimate gripe...

not reporting news on the same squad that was celebrated so heavily this year because that news is not favorable seems pretty weak... 

3 minutes ago, Yellow_Medal said:

I haven’t seen anything yet either

don't suppose you have the rokfin do you?

super curious if that platform has any legitimate news...

surely someone who makes any kind of living off of this sport will have the "fortitude" to report some actual news...

super curious if that platform has any legitimate news...
surely someone who makes any kind of living off of this sport will have the "fortitude" to report some actual news...

Not currently no. I subscribed for a bit hut didn’t find it worth the cash.

3 hours ago, LJB said:

\

I searched him on Rokfin. The most recent Bassett reference is from four days ago...

Willie may talked about it on matscouts, but I haven't listened. 

Edited by Mphillips

PA Power Wrestling will probably have the best wrestling-specific media coverage of it, since Eric Knopsnyder writes for the paper out there and he's had the two biggest stories on it for the Tribune Democrat. He's the local wrestling beat writer on it, so he'd be the go-to guy and I'd assume that would be the go-to outlet. Their stuff is on Rokfin. They had a short video with Bill Bassett this afternoon.