Jump to content
Lurker

Bassett is set free

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Can't the Gibsons and the Bassetts just move to another state to be able to compete and avoid the suspension?

Or can they simply transfer within the state and wrestle? It seems like the sanction is against the school, not the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Can't the Gibsons and the Bassetts just move to another state to be able to compete and avoid the suspension?

Just move to another state? I don't know anything about their family and I know that others have done that, but relocating to another state is a big deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, NJDan said:

Or can they simply transfer within the state and wrestle? It seems like the sanction is against the school, not the kids.

I see that Lurker answered no to your question - I would think that the state association would have a hard time sanctioning anyone whose family decided to stop paying the cost for the Catholic school and put their kid back into the free public school that serves school district.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I see that Lurker answered no to your question - I would think that the state association would have a hard time sanctioning anyone whose family decided to stop paying the cost for the Catholic school and put their kid back into the free public school that serves school district.  

I agree. I also think it would have a hard time sanctioning any kid who was blameless in the situation (or whose family was blameless). None of the articles I have seen (despite the several idiots here to claim that they know) clearly state the consequences for the kids as opposed to the school. In fact, the best way to punish the school would be to allow kids to transfer out and compete elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t like that they punished the kids so harshly (since it’s more of a parent decision to transfer for athletics). But I do hope this is a catalyst for change in PA. The problem is that these private schools are competing in the PIAA against public schools, but they are drawing kids from all over. I’m not sure why they don’t just compete in the National Prep league with Wyoming Sem. and others. That seems like a win-win. These studs going to top private schools get the tough competition they desire and the public schools get a fair competition. I hope PIAA makes a rule about that. This would prevent these situations all together


If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t like that they punished the kids so harshly (since it’s more of a parent decision to transfer for athletics). But I do hope this is a catalyst for change in PA. The problem is that these private schools are competing in the PIAA against public schools, but they are drawing kids from all over. I’m not sure why they don’t just compete in the National Prep league with Wyoming Sem. and others. That seems like a win-win. These studs going to top private schools get the tough competition they desire and the public schools get a fair competition. I hope PIAA makes a rule about that. This would prevent these situations all together


If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

This is a widespread phenomenon. In NJ, Catholic (that is, private) schools mostly compete in the state tournament with public schools. Some also compete in the National prep tournament. I believe this is quite normal. Mack Lewnes, for example, won state title in Maryland and also won National Prep titles. Schools like St. Paris Graham and St. Edwards compete at states with public schools only.  Most non-religious prep schools (like Blair and Wyo Sem) don't compete for state titles, but do compete for national prep titles. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

This is a widespread phenomenon. In NJ, Catholic (that is, private) schools mostly compete in the state tournament with public schools. Some also compete in the National prep tournament. I believe this is quite normal. Mack Lewnes, for example, won state title in Maryland and also won National Prep titles. Schools like St. Paris Graham and St. Edwards compete at states with public schools only.  Most non-religious prep schools (like Blair and Wyo Sem) don't compete for state titles, but do compete for national prep titles. 

 

St. Paris Graham isn't a private or parochial school. The other school is St. Edward and neither of them wrestle at, 'states.'  We've learned to live with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is a widespread phenomenon. In NJ, Catholic (that is, private) schools mostly compete in the state tournament with public schools. Some also compete in the National prep tournament. I believe this is quite normal. Mack Lewnes, for example, won state title in Maryland and also won National Prep titles. Schools like St. Paris Graham and St. Edwards compete at states with public schools only.  Most non-religious prep schools (like Blair and Wyo Sem) don't compete for state titles, but do compete for national prep titles. 

 

Yeah, I shouldn’t have made it seem like it was only a PA issue. Even though it is widespread and common, I think it’s still a problem. I can’t imagine many people are happy that top private schools are competing with public schools. They obviously have to be recruiting to have the kind of success they have had. I don’t have a problem with parents taking their kids to the best school possible for athletic reasons either. I’d like them to keep that option, just not have them compete against the public schools.

 

 

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I'm assuming you're referring to how some people mistakenly call it state.

My bad. I was thrown off by the "Saint" part of the name and, I guess, by the fact that their main rival is also named "saint." As for your other point, you should probably get over it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clear things up, as it seems there are some who don't want to look anywhere but here for their information on this:

Erik Gibson was declared ineligible, he cannot compete at all.

The coach is suspended, he cannot coach at all.

The rest of the program can go forward with a regular season as...regular....but banned from the post season.  As it stands now this is the deal for the next three years.

Athletes cannot transfer schools to run from a suspension/ban, whether or not they were one of the individuals involved with the violation that caused the ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2021 at 3:13 AM, Jim L said:

Just move to another state? I don't know anything about their family and I know that others have done that, but relocating to another state is a big deal

Guys like David Taylor and Mark Hall moved to other states in high school for what appeared to be wrestling reasons.  

Would it be that hard for the Bassetts or Gibsons to move to a neighboring state like NY/NJ/OH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope this doesn't stick.  Banning middle schoolers.  As if they have any real choice in any sort of manner like this.  I am sure their opinion(s) can be taken into account, but they're barely teenagers ffs.

This is embarrassing.

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

During HS or before?

I think DT was before HS.

Mark Hall was a state runner-up in Kentucky as a 7th grader before moving to Minnesota.  So I guess he technically moved before HS as well, even though he was competed in a state tournament as a 7th grader against HS kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lurker said:

To clear things up, as it seems there are some who don't want to look anywhere but here for their information on this:

Erik Gibson was declared ineligible, he cannot compete at all.

The coach is suspended, he cannot coach at all.

The rest of the program can go forward with a regular season as...regular....but banned from the post season.  As it stands now this is the deal for the next three years.

Athletes cannot transfer schools to run from a suspension/ban, whether or not they were one of the individuals involved with the violation that caused the ban.

Was Erik Gibson "the sophomore that transferred this year?"
 

And what determines whether the postseason ban is 20 or 36 months (or somewhere in between)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...