Lurker

Bassett is set free

21 hours ago, Lesh_Is_Morer said:

Welllll.. there you go. Another first World problem. Moving to "another state is a big deal"? Really? People have to leave their countries all of the time just to stay alive... and people whine if they have to move from PA to NY or NJ. Wow... life if really tough.

Relocating a family is a universal big deal.  Having to do it because of a war or famine is obviously not a first world problem.

Choosing to do it to support a child's athletic career is a first world luxury that is only a option for a select few families even in the US 

I used to be super against any holding back for athletic reasons. Especially after seeing some of the long term effects it has on a good chunk  of the people I know did it. I’ve also listened to the parents squawk defending choices that had absolutely nothing to do with a kids maturity and academics and everything to do with winning more against elementary/middle school kids.

Ive come to a middle ground about it

At this point, I don’t care if a parent is going to do it IF, they put their kid in a prep school or OTC type situation. If you’re going to invest that kind of money and resources fine. But you should be putting them against proper competition. Not being a 16 year old wrestling 6-7th graders

there are as many parents in this country holding their kids back in their early years just to give them a social advantage...

whatever...

a person should be able to make whatever choice they feel suits their family the best... 

any of us could point to any number of examples to support whatever stance we have on it...

5 hours ago, LJB said:

there are as many parents in this country holding their kids back in their early years just to give them a social advantage...

whatever...

a person should be able to make whatever choice they feel suits their family the best... 

any of us could point to any number of examples to support whatever stance we have on it...

If I was writing it again I may have included social development as an understandable reason. But again, I’ve seen enough of parents doing it for themselves And to say little Johnny was the best 8th grader. That I’m of the opinion they if you’re going to do it. Put them in the big kid competition 

13 minutes ago, jp157 said:

If I was writing it again I may have included social development as an understandable reason. But again, I’ve seen enough of parents doing it for themselves And to say little Johnny was the best 8th grader. That I’m of the opinion they if you’re going to do it. Put them in the big kid competition 

who even wrestles middle school stuff anyway?

most of the big youth tourneys are age based...

all of USAW is age based...

the only real reason is to set them up better for HS...

and the only reason i could even possibly justify it is if the kid is legitimately too small as a freshmen...

again...

whatever...

i will say i know personally 3 people who have been suspended by USAW and roller stuff for faking a birth certificate for their 8-10 year old kid, which, is one of the more ridiculous thing i have seen, so, i suppose there are plenty who care about a middle school dual...

13 hours ago, LJB said:

who even wrestles middle school stuff anyway?

most of the big youth tourneys are age based...

all of USAW is age based...

the only real reason is to set them up better for HS...

and the only reason i could even possibly justify it is if the kid is legitimately too small as a freshmen...

again...

whatever...

i will say i know personally 3 people who have been suspended by USAW and roller stuff for faking a birth certificate for their 8-10 year old kid, which, is one of the more ridiculous thing i have seen, so, i suppose there are plenty who care about a middle school dual...

The last kind exist in shockingly high numbers.

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

The last kind exist in shockingly high numbers.

perhaps they do and i am lucky enough to be past those kinds of individuals...

but...

i do remember that one season of little league for each kid and how disgusted i was with those people...

and i have no reason to think we have done anything but devolve as a species as a whole in the last 10 years...

anyway...

good luck with that...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

perhaps they do and i am lucky enough to be past those kinds of individuals...

but...

i do remember that one season of little league for each kid and how disgusted i was with those people...

and i have no reason to think we have done anything but devolve as a species as a whole in the last 10 years...

anyway...

good luck with that...

I don’t really deal with that stuff lol

1 hour ago, LJB said:

weird...

almost everyone of your posts references your disdain for that element as if it is a constant issue for you...

**shrugs**

I’m around it enough I see it and have a well informed opinion. It was directly related to the topic. 

29 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I’m around it enough I see it and have a well informed opinion. It was directly related to the topic. 

to be fair, everyone is convinced their opinion is "well informed" yet they rarely revisit them...

again...

**shrugs**

At the other end of the age spectrum, Spencer Moore - one of Bassett's Cadet World teammates - is only 17, and starting at 125 for UNC.  He may have even skipped his senior year in high school to start college a year early, but I'm not certain.

Although he's already lost a few matches (one was against 24 yo Liam Cronin), it looks like he has a pretty high ceiling.  After getting taken down twice in the first minute vs. his top 20 Campbell opponent, he made some impressive adjustments and only gave up an escape the rest of the match.  He also gave the aforementioned Cronin a tough match, and Cronin was a top 5-10 guy most of last year.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, LJB said:

having to explain that moving a family across more than a hallway is actually a big deal to anyone should temper any further discussions with said person...

Showing you have a pretty easy life. Move to NJ or NY... it is not that big of a deal.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:32 PM, whaletail said:

At the other end of the age spectrum, Spencer Moore - one of Bassett's Cadet World teammates - is only 17, and starting at 125 for UNC.  He may have even skipped his senior year in high school to start college a year early, but I'm not certain.

He did graduate early. This is what he told me about it:

"Coming into high school I knew I was going to have enough credits to graduate high school in 3 years. At first I wasn’t considering doing it but last summer I spent a lot of time thinking about it. I came to the conclusion that reclassifying would help me to refocus my life and become the best person I could be."

The last summer he is referring to would be 2019 I believe.

----

Just to add to the conversation... I turned 18 the week before I left for college and I wish I was held back a year purely for social maturity. I also dated a girl that was delayed entry into school when she was a kid. Her parents reasoning was that they wanted her to be the first one to do things (driving, etc). That way they could control things a bit better.