Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Walking on in Division 1

Dale, i didn't realize you were a walkon. Coming out of West Waterloo i figured you were on scholarship the whole time. I made a post on Stan Abel who was about as close to being a walkon without being one, getting only books. Dale and Stan are two greats that won NCAA championships starting at the bottom. Both had the drive to prove they belonged. That is the one thing you can't excel without having.

Thanks.

One of the guys I looked up to most in college was the assistant coach, Doug Blubaugh. He was the Dan Gable of the 60's. I told Doug once that I was going to be an NCAA champion. He responded, basically that there's no way to know that -- and that I should lower my goals.

The only one who believed in me during that period was my high school coach, Bob Siddens. He was actually the first person to put into my brain that I was going to be a national champion -- and he was the only person who thought that I was going to do that, frankly.

When the head coach at MSU said that I would never make the team at Michigan State, Siddens told him, "You don't know Dale Anderson." Who wouldn't be inspired by a coach like that.

(Believe me, Doug was a great mentor and friend -- and just an all-around great guy. I'm sure he was just trying save me from my dreams. And my head coach? We are friends -- I frankly think he was a great coach -- and basically a good guy. So please don't think I'm complaining -- but I will say that college coaches are never like high school coaches -- if you know what I mean.)

I love to reach high -- and the vast majority of things I have reached for -- I failed (take title 9 for instance)

If I had failed to win the a national championship (and I came within one second of losing) -- I wouldn't feel any different than I do right now about now about it.

You asked for advice -- here's mine. And with this -- I'm done:

If you love the sport, go out for it -- and do the best you can.

If you don't love the sport, find what you do love -- and put your heart into that.

God bless -

DA

Dale - I love hearing Bob Siddens stories. I have had the chance to meet him a couple of different times. The last time I met him, was in Waterloo. It was about a quarter of 4, and I had to be somewhere by 4, so when I ran into him, I figured I'd only talk to him for a minute. I didn't arrive where I was supposed to be until 6, ;) and it was only a 15 minute drive.

If at the end of your first year, the beatings are so bad that you don't like the sport, I have no problem with him not continuing. Look at a guy who labors in the minor leagues for years before he gets his big chance. I'm sure they are doubting their decision the whole time but it all comes down to desire and a dream.

Do you understand how long the college wrestling season is? For some guys an entire year of getting absolutely pounded 2X a day is way longer than they should "stick it out." Obviously, your son is very talented and likely holds his own, but to expect the "average" walk-on to stick it out for an entire year if they are miserable is a little much. Given that these guys have "stuck it out" all the way through high school and have had the motivation to give it a go in college, I think the moment they realize their other interest are more important is the time to quit, even if this realization comes during thanksgiving or winter break. As some previous posters have mentioned, you don't get your time back.

we had 3-a-days over the Holiday breaks. One day we went to lunch at Ponderosa, and one of the employees asked us if we had been in a car accident. We had a mix of state champs and guys who didn't qualify for state, from around the country. It was a great experience for all.

Hey new poster I am a new poster to and a dad of a wrestler at the Naval Academy and I read a few post and like one person said first of all yeh D1 9.9 scholarships that is not much per school and I think thats just wrong because you wrestlers work harder than any sport I feel and they should give more, with that being said my son chose to go to the Naval Academy instead of a regular D1 school and was recruited by them and many other colleges also but he chose that first of all to keep the path of success after wrestling and of corse serve his country which going there you commit to 9 or 10 years depending if you do a prep year first. That challenge there off the mat is crazy but that was a choice he made no summers off there lots of hours, I think you need to think outside the box a little because injuries come with sports for sure wrestling, and he has had his share in the past 3 years so far being there and sports can end in a flash. One thing loving wrestling is a passion and can't be more rewarding in your future thats for sure because when you finish you will have molded yourself into one heck of a person. Good luck in your choice I believe what ever you choose will be great and rewarding, college is exspensive and I am a past Army guy and couldn't be prouder of my youngest sons choice for his future and support him in his choice, I get worried when I think of the war but I must block that out and stand proud and tall for our country. GOOD LUCK

Some encouraging words I heard while researching some videos on youtube today.

"I didn't have hardly a social life in high school or college outside of my wrestling group, but to me it's not sacrifice. It's just a choice. Anything that you want to do...I'm not wrestling for any other reason than I want to wrestle, so I'm doing what I want to do. " Dave Schultz

I'm not sure what became of this, but now that we're officially a week into practice I was just wondering how the original poster was doing. I doubt that he'll have the time or energy to give us the play by play, but I'm interested in following along how things are going as much as he's willing to share.

Hey new poster I am a new poster to and a dad of a wrestler at the Naval Academy and I read a few post and like one person said first of all yeh D1 9.9 scholarships that is not much per school and I think thats just wrong because you wrestlers work harder than any sport I feel and they should give more, with that being said my son chose to go to the Naval Academy instead of a regular D1 school and was recruited by them and many other colleges also but he chose that first of all to keep the path of success after wrestling and of corse serve his country which going there you commit to 9 or 10 years depending if you do a prep year first. That challenge there off the mat is crazy but that was a choice he made no summers off there lots of hours, I think you need to think outside the box a little because injuries come with sports for sure wrestling, and he has had his share in the past 3 years so far being there and sports can end in a flash. One thing loving wrestling is a passion and can't be more rewarding in your future thats for sure because when you finish you will have molded yourself into one heck of a person. Good luck in your choice I believe what ever you choose will be great and rewarding, college is exspensive and I am a past Army guy and couldn't be prouder of my youngest sons choice for his future and support him in his choice, I get worried when I think of the war but I must block that out and stand proud and tall for our country. GOOD LUCK

Congrats NavyDad and best of luck to your son. I wrestled at the AF Academy a few years ago but didn't make it through the first season due to grades and other distractions. With you in his corner I'm sure he'll do well.

The original poster is not on the PSU roster that is posted online. No idea when that was most recently updated, so take it for what it's worth.

My old roommate walked on two years ago, they didnt have him on the roster until after christmas.

Congrats NavyDad and best of luck to your son. I wrestled at the AF Academy a few years ago but didn't make it through the first season due to grades and other distractions. With you in his corner I'm sure he'll do well.

Do you mean Felice NavyDad?

Do you mean Felice NavyDad?

The original poster is not on the PSU roster that is posted online. No idea when that was most recently updated, so take it for what it's worth.

I did attempt to walk-on, but unfortunately, another kid and I were told that Title IX limited the amount of spots on the roster. It was a bit tough to take, given that we didn't even have a chance to prove ourselves despite the work we put in due to politics, but we both joined the wrestling club. We're gonna go for some NCWA titles and try out again for next season. I continually looked back to this thread when some days got a bit hard, so I just want to thank everyone for the criticism and support.

we had 3-a-days over the Holiday breaks. One day we went to lunch at Ponderosa, and one of the employees asked us if we had been in a car accident. We had a mix of state champs and guys who didn't qualify for state, from around the country. It was a great experience for all.

You guys were allowed to eat??!! ;)

Top!  I just saw that dclark145 posted about wrestling with some redshirts in this thread, but I didn't want to derail the conversation there.

Looking forward to hearing your stories from this upcoming season!!

Thank you very much! I've been practicing pretty hard with the club. Looking to make enough noise this upcoming season for Cael to notice me. I'll be sure to make updates!

Pearsall only qualified for states once and I'm almost positive he didn't place. I do remember the cradle he hit for 3 backs on a restart w 10 seconds left to get out of districts.

His senior year he was eliminated short of a medal by Kyle Bove from Kennett, who got virtually no offers at any level despite being a two-time 3rd placer in PA.  Bove wound up playing soccer at a Penn State satellite campus.  Altoona, I think.