Jump to content
Elevator

PSU Frosh at Clarion Open

Recommended Posts

Steen wrestled in 2 matches at 125 - lost twice to unseeded wrestlers.  My impression was that he might benefit from a redshirt. 

VanNess was at 149 - won two matches and then med forf out.  Second match was a pretty quick pin.  Looked pretty slick from neutral.  Did not look big for the weight.

Facundo - wrestled several matches and lost one to a finalist (Best from UMD) in the end of the tiebraker.  Pretty solid day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steen wrestled in 2 matches at 125 - lost twice to unseeded wrestlers.  My impression was that he might benefit from a redshirt. 
VanNess was at 149 - won two matches and then med forf out.  Second match was a pretty quick pin.  Looked pretty slick from neutral.  Did not look big for the weight.
Facundo - wrestled several matches and lost one to a finalist (Best from UMD) in the end of the tiebraker.  Pretty solid day.  


It was kind of weird to watch the unattached PSU kids not know the new tiebreaker rules.

Facundo was being coached by SVN and maybe SVN’s dad. They were surprised by the UMD guy getting his hand raised; they all thought it would go neutral again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Consider me a freshman at PSU.  What are the new rules? 

First OT is now 2 minutes and the next ride outs get determined (in a tie) by riding time right away. If still tied there is a 1 minute ot on the feet followed by 2 30 sec ots top/bottom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Feldman the PA HS senior HWT going to Ohio State dominated his 3 matches today including against Zachary Knighton Ward of Hofstra who is ranked #22 this year and a 2x NCAA qualifier. Didn’t give up a single offensive point today. He’s going to really good in a couple years if not next year.

Initially I thought he might struggle today given his size but his quickness was evident today and he looked noticeably bigger than I've seen him, guessing 230-240. He injury defaulted the finals, not sure why as he didn’t look injured to me in his 3 matches.

Edited by DocBZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That version of Facundo still beats last years version of Joe Lee.

Steen will struggle.  They should be banking on Hildebrandt or Suriano.  In fact, they should bank on Hildebrandt.  If Suriano got wind that they even mentioned Hildebrandt I imagine he'd go manlet-minded and just say no to Cael.

I was hoping Hildebrandt would choose UofM(his sister trains there).  I would be okay with Penn State with Suriano at UofM. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the loser of Bearclaw and SVN is still their best option at 157 as well for this year.  That said, if they don't think they're going to sniff Iowa, they should redshirt SVN and Bartlett and gear up next year for another long run starting.

I am not sold on Joe Lee at 157.  He hasn't been there in years.  I, for one, would love to see the three Lee brothers 141/149/157.  I am a big fan of their individual styles.  I just know that they aren't the best options for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"That version of Facundo still beats last years version of Joe Lee."  - Not sure about that, but Facundo does seem to have good defense and may be able to keep it close even against top guys.  But can he generate enough offense to win?

Do not know Hildebrandt - is it certain that he will be on the roster at PSU? Will try to look him up.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I think the loser of Bearclaw and SVN is still their best option at 157 as well for this year.  That said, if they don't think they're going to sniff Iowa, they should redshirt SVN and Bartlett and gear up next year for another long run starting.

I am not sold on Joe Lee at 157.  He hasn't been there in years.  I, for one, would love to see the three Lee brothers 141/149/157.  I am a big fan of their individual styles.  I just know that they aren't the best options for them.

Matt lee is going 165 this year…I mean they “sniffed” Iowa last year and now the team is healthier and the 6 freshman are a year older and penn state only lost Berge but can add in a AA to 125….. no reason to think that they won’t  be right there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elevator said:

"That version of Facundo still beats last years version of Joe Lee."  - Not sure about that, but Facundo does seem to have good defense and may be able to keep it close even against top guys.  But can he generate enough offense to win?

Do not know Hildebrandt - is it certain that he will be on the roster at PSU? Will try to look him up.   

Nothing is certain with Hildebrandt.

Facundo's loss this last weekend was in part due to ignorance of the rules.  He will adjust and be just fine, I think.  I believe he will outperform Amine of Michigan, and I am very high on him.

50 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Matt lee is going 165 this year…I mean they “sniffed” Iowa last year and now the team is healthier and the 6 freshman are a year older and penn state only lost Berge but can add in a AA to 125….. no reason to think that they won’t  be right there 

I agree that they'll be right there, but I also disagree that they'll be as close.  Not without Facundo taking a step into the O'Toole tier or points from 149/157.  You say that the frosh did get older.  Yes, that is understood.  They balled out with four champions.  Everything went right for that.  Iowa also had a lot go wrong.  To bank and bet on both everything going right for Penn State and everything wrong for Iowa isn't smart money.

Are you saying that Matt Lee is going 165 as the starter, @Antitroll2828?

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Nothing is certain with Hildebrandt.

Facundo's loss this last weekend was in part due to ignorance of the rules.  He will adjust and be just fine, I think.  I believe he will outperform Amine of Michigan, and I am very high on him.

I agree that they'll be right there, but I also disagree that they'll be as close.  Not without Facundo taking a step into the O'Toole tier or points from 149/157.  You say that the frosh did get older.  Yes, that is understood.  They balled out with four champions.  Everything went right for that.  Iowa also had a lot go wrong.  To bank and bet on both everything going right for Penn State and everything wrong for Iowa isn't smart money.

Are you saying that Matt Lee is going 165 as the starter, @Antitroll2828?

It ll be Matt lee or facundo who wrestled unattached yesterday, I would bet pretty big that penn state gets either Hildebrandt or suriano and that’s a big boast in points at 125, van ness can place in a wide open 149 after not having a qualifier last year, and Kerkvelet will be atleast top 4 possibly a finalist after being 7th last season …that alone should be enough to close the gap in points, anything positive at 157 and 165 is a bonus …healthy joe Lee at 157 should atleast be able to match Berges output  (2-2 at ncaas)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cael Sanderson on Media Day show just said Beau Bartlett will wrestle Saturday's dual at 149.

If I had to predict the March lineup:

125 Meredith, Shunk, or go with rumor mill Hildebrandt or Suriano 

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Bartlett

157 Joe Lee

165 Facundo 

174 Starocci

184 Brooks

197 Dean

Hwt Kerkvliet

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Cael Sanderson on Media Day show just said Beau Bartlett will wrestle Saturday's dual at 149.

If I had to predict the March lineup:

125 Meredith, Shunk, or go with rumor mill Hildebrandt or Suriano 

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Bartlett

157 Joe Lee

165 Facundo 

174 Starocci

184 Brooks

197 Dean

Hwt Kerkvliet

I thought Meredith outgrew 125?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I thought Meredith outgrew 125?

They have a thread on PSU right now asking who will be the 125 come March. While Meredith wrestled 1 match last year at 133, he has the 4th highest vote tally in that thread outpaced only by Drew Hildebrandt, Nick Suriano and Robbie Howard. 

Short of a Hildebrandt or Suriano x=fer I have no earthly idea what would cause Howard to miss this year. He is alleged to have had surgery following last season, but he was doing camps this summer. Not sure why in 2022 he could not go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

They have a thread on PSU right now asking who will be the 125 come March. While Meredith wrestled 1 match last year at 133, he has the 4th highest vote tally in that thread outpaced only by Drew Hildebrandt, Nick Suriano and Robbie Howard. 

Short of a Hildebrandt or Suriano x=fer I have no earthly idea what would cause Howard to miss this year. He is alleged to have had surgery following last season, but he was doing camps this summer. Not sure why in 2022 he could not go.

Meredith's lone match last year was at 141, not 133.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

They have a thread on PSU right now asking who will be the 125 come March. While Meredith wrestled 1 match last year at 133, he has the 4th highest vote tally in that thread outpaced only by Drew Hildebrandt, Nick Suriano and Robbie Howard. 

Short of a Hildebrandt or Suriano x=fer I have no earthly idea what would cause Howard to miss this year. He is alleged to have had surgery following last season, but he was doing camps this summer. Not sure why in 2022 he could not go.

Bc he returned too early from his original shoulder injury so they want to give him  a full season in the room and start building up college strength, plus RBY saying this will be his last year could mean we see Howard at 133 next season , as that was his original plan when he committed 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Bc he returned to early from his original shoulder injury so they want to give me a full season in the room and start building up college strength, plus RBY saying this will be his last year could mean we see Howard at 133 next season , as that was his original plan when he committed 

Why is he leaving a year of eligibility on the table?  Does he really have that many lucrative opportunities as a professional that he would give up his last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Why is he leaving a year of eligibility on the table?  Does he really have that many lucrative opportunities as a professional that he would give up his last year?

I think he always planned on being there for 4 years and leaving …college isn’t for everyone , not everyone can do the Van Wilder/ Jayden Eierman thing …plus rby seems like he has a lot of other interests outside wrestling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Meredith's lone match last year was at 141, not 133.

Meredith didn't weigh 141. Aside from that, Meredith is listed as the co starter at 125 with Baylor Shunk for this weekend's Penn State dual match ups. 

https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11/10/notes-penn-state-wrestling-opens-season-saturday-at-spooky-nook-lions-face-sacred-heart-and-oregon-state.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Meredith didn't weigh 141. Aside from that, Meredith is listed as the co starter at 125 with Baylor Shunk for this weekend's Penn State dual match ups. 

https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11/10/notes-penn-state-wrestling-opens-season-saturday-at-spooky-nook-lions-face-sacred-heart-and-oregon-state.aspx

That's fine.  He wrestled 141.  The initial statement said he wrestled one match at 133.  That statement was not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...