spladle08

Fandom & Heels

I'm a big Okie State guy. 
This morning my preacher friend asked me if I saw the beef between Ferrari and Stemmet. 
I hadn't so I went to Ferrari's twitter. That video of him stacking money, poorly dancing, and just being AJ Ferrari was the cringiest thing I've watched since last night. 
My friend said "Isn't he great?"....  
I was like "at wrestling yes, but if this dude wrestled for any other team, we'd both be cheering for him to lose every match" 
My friend admitted, that's true, but it made me think.... 
Hendricks was probably our (OSU's) last true heel, and I know he was hated across the country, but I knew him growing up so I was going to cheer for him either way.....
........ I wrote a bunch more, but decided to delete because I think a better question is..... 

Fans of teams other than Oklahoma State, does the schtick make you hate him (Ferrari), or cheer for him more? 
My gut says "Anyone not cheering for the Cowboys wants him to fall on his face"  (Because I would cheer against anyone from any other school that acted like this) 
But maybe I'm not appreciating the fans he's made. 

Edited by spladle08

6 minutes ago, moodybooty said:

He’s a fun guy.

If he played football, where most of the stars have wild public personalities, he wouldn’t be considered the anomaly that he is in the conservative and mild mannered wrestling world.

I was trying to think of all the heels in wrestling.... and I really thought "What a land or non-personalities" you're not wrong. 
I guess overall we expect.... head down, keep grinding, personas. 
When people try to branch out it often hits wrong when it feels forced. 
I can't tell if his is likable because it's natural or because it's so ridiculous it feels like a (Whatever the current Professional Wrestling organization is ?) WWE Character.... 
It's just so outlandish, if he was on another team I would make fun of the fan base, but he's on my team so I'm like "He' the baddest dude out there, try to compete"  

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

My gut says "Anyone not cheering for the Cowboys wants him to fall on his face"  (Because I would cheer against anyone from any other school that acted like this) 

Count me in the "want him to fall on his face" group. But....I don't think he's a bad thing for our sport. We could definitely use a few more heels, and they are not effective if they are not good. I'll keep watching his matches and hope he doesn't become the first 5x champ.

4 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Count me in the "want him to fall on his face" group. But....I don't think he's a bad thing for our sport. We could definitely use a few more heels, and they are not effective if they are not good. I'll keep watching his matches and hope he doesn't become the first 5x champ.

Oh 100% agree, anything to draw eyes to the sport. . 
I really was just thinking, "Anyone not a fan of the Cowboys has to cheer against this dude so hard" 

I have always been bothered by people who say “be humble” regarding athletes (wrestlers) after they win a match.  Mainly for celebrating etc.   I never got that thinking. I think it’s more to protect the feelings of those that were probably rooting against them than simply being “humble” for sportsmanship’s sake.  These guys have put a lot of blood sweat and tears in to get where they are.  Let them celebrate if they want and let them do their “thing” ala Ferrari.   
I’m not necessarily a fan of his or his teams (my kid wrestles for Cal State Bakersfield) but I won’t hate on the kid for doing his thing.  Do I want to see him lose?  Not necessarily,  I look forward to watching kids like him wrestle because of the chance he may lose and that’s exciting.   

I think it’s more to protect the feelings of those that were probably rooting against them than simply being “humble” for sportsmanship’s sake.    

Well worded! Great point.

You never tell your guy to "be humble".

When your competitor is over the top, his fire feeds yours.

I think you said it properly.

*Tips cap

6 hours ago, spladle08 said:

This morning my preacher friend asked me if I saw the beef between Ferrari and Stemmet. 
I hadn't so I went to Ferrari's twitter. That video of him stacking money, poorly dancing, and just being AJ Ferrari was the cringiest thing I've watched since last night. 
I was like "at wrestling yes, but if this dude wrestled for any other team, we'd both be cheering for him to lose every match" 
Hendricks was probably our (OSU's) last true heel, and I know he was hated across the country, but I knew him growing up so I was going to cheer for him either way.....
........ I wrote a bunch more, but decided to delete because I think a better question is..... 

Fans of teams other than Oklahoma State, does the schtick make you hate him (Ferrari), or cheer for him more? 

Loved Hendricks. Mocco was also a heel IMO. Both tremendous competitors as is Ferrari. Hendricks and Perry should’ve switched uniforms. 

Edited by Downtown Brown
Autocorrect

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I like Iowa a lot, but wouldn't consider myself a die hard. Their current roster is my favorite group of collegiate wrestlers in quite some time.

That being said, Ferrari began to grow on me during the NCAA tourney.  He does some stupid stuff, but he has also made me laugh.  I like the dynamic between he and Smith.

Edited by AHamilton

I like Iowa a lot, but wouldn't consider myself a die hard. There current roster is my favorite group of collegiate wrestlers in quite some time.
That being said, Ferrari began to grow on me during the NCAA tourney.  He does some stupid stuff, but he has also made me laugh.  I like the dynamic between he and Smith.
Dude is not throwing his shot.
Really is making the most of the spotlight and it's so far outside of the rest of the program. It is to be appreciated

On 11/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, Plasmodium said:

I like a guy having some fun, which is all he is doing.  It is the dick twist and the stalling that makes me cheer for his opponents.

His wrestling style is super conservative while he is personally very obnoxious and lacking in self awareness.  There are others guys on the other end of the spectrum like a Bryce Andonian who just goes for all sorts of aggressive throws on folks but is a modest and soft spoken kid.  I think for certain people, athletics offers you a chance to tap into a different part of your personality.  

Edited by flyingcement

I liked Hendricks - why was he a heel though?  Regarding Ferrari - I feel like this: he is an entertaining character, that I am happy is part of the ensemble - but I don't find him to be a relatable protagonist.  I will root for him to lose most matches, but I appreciate his presence.
I dunno. I was just always told people didn't like him and I think the boards reflected it back in the day. From the Churella match to the Perry rivalry.... I was under the impression he was widely disliked.

I think overall wrestling is just a "be humble" sport.....

But Ferrari is so ridiculous.
Have we had a true WWE character in the sport ever?

I wonder if it'll start a trend or it's just a flash in the pan

8 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I think overall wrestling is just a "be humble" sport.....

But Ferrari is so ridiculous.
Have we had a true WWE character in the sport ever?

I wonder if it'll start a trend or it's just a flash in the pan

I don't know, recall that The Gable had issues first year but turned into a pretty likeable character.  So who knows with Focus maybe he will mature into the mild mannered Clark Kent all are hoping for.  On the other had its the 21st century and we should all support & embrace diversity, we can't expect all to neatly replace their ankle bands after every match.  :)

9 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Ferrari is just an attention whore, the only thing that makes him interesting is the question of if he is as stupid as he acts or if its some sort of clever act....

He's not compelling in any way, cause he isn't particularly good or bad. 

Not particularly good?

Not particularly good?
That was a perplexing comment .
Midway through the season I was like ohhhhhhhh crap this dude is winning the whole thing..... as much as I didn't expect it (I predicted Surber would give him a solid match at the inter-squad which was correct, maybe I undervalued Surber vs the nation).

AJ is nearly impossible to takedown or ride, and that's a strong recipe for success.
Great folkstyle wrestler.
Wild Social Media Character

4 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

That was a perplexing comment .
Midway through the season I was like ohhhhhhhh crap this dude is winning the whole thing..... as much as I didn't expect it (I predicted Surber would give him a solid match at the inter-squad which was correct, maybe I undervalued Surber vs the nation).

AJ is nearly impossible to takedown or ride, and that's a strong recipe for success.
Great folkstyle wrestler.
Wild Social Media Character

Surber is evidently the starting hwt against Stanford tomorrow.  Their 2nd match next weekend against Minny, heard they have a decent heavy.  

Surber is evidently the starting hwt against Stanford tomorrow.  Their 2nd match next weekend against Minny, heard they have a decent heavy.  
Surber wrestled 92 and 97kg in this last year so I'm a little nervous size will be a huge issue.

But I'm hoping he does great . #LetsGo

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

His wrestling style is super conservative while he is personally very obnoxious and lacking in self awareness.  There are others guys on the other end of the spectrum like a Bryce Andonian who just goes for all sorts of aggressive throws on folks but is a modest and soft spoken kid.  I think for certain people, athletics offers you a chance to tap into a different part of your personality.  

Love watching Andonian wrestle!