Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Rokfin and Pay Per View?

Recommended Posts

The Journeyman site at Rokfin had up a note about requiring BOTH a Rokfin subscription AND a PPV fee to see this weekend's PSU duals at Spooky Nook in Manheim. They took the PPV thing down, but can I trust them? Hmm. 

I was going to re subscribe, but don't want to get hit for an additional PPV fee. Oh well, gonna have to pass. Dumba$$ marketing on their part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The Journeyman site at Rokfin had up a note about requiring BOTH a Rokfin subscription AND a PPV fee to see this weekend's PSU duals at Spooky Nook in Manheim. They took the PPV thing down, but can I trust them? Hmm. 

I was going to re subscribe, but don't want to get hit for an additional PPV fee. Oh well, gonna have to pass. Dumba$$ marketing on their part. 

I am assuming that was poor wording on their part. In one part of the article it says " a user must have a Rokfin subscription through the Journeymen Wrestling Rokfin channel" which is counter to the Rokfin ethos (subscribe through one channel, get all channels).

And in another part of the same article they say: "To watch the live streams, a user must have a Rokfin subscription." No mention of the subscription being through the Journeymen channel.

With the Rokfin model as I understand it, if you subscribe via a link provided by a specific channel, the channel earns more tokens than if you subscribe in general. And there is an element of compensation  that is tied to your usage. For example, if you subscribe via Journeymen, but spend a lot of your time on Matscouts, NLWC, and Intermat channels then those later three will get a larger portion of the variable component of the compensation. 

I hope I am reading this right as I plan to watch the stream even though my Rokfin account is not tied to Journeymen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am assuming that was poor wording on their part. In one part of the article it says " a user must have a Rokfin subscription through the Journeymen Wrestling Rokfin channel" which is counter to the Rokfin ethos (subscribe through one channel, get all channels).

And in another part of the same article they say: "To watch the live streams, a user must have a Rokfin subscription." No mention of the subscription being through the Journeymen channel.

With the Rokfin model as I understand it, if you subscribe via a link provided by a specific channel, the channel earns more tokens than if you subscribe in general. And there is an element of compensation  that is tied to your usage. For example, if you subscribe via Journeymen, but spend a lot of your time on Matscouts, NLWC, and Intermat channels then those later three will get a larger portion of the variable component of the compensation. 

I hope I am reading this right as I plan to watch the stream even though my Rokfin account is not tied to Journeymen.

What I don't like is the testing of the idea of layering PPV fees on top of the monthly subscription. If this is where they are headed, I will be out soon enough. I have had years recently where I hade to subscribe to 3 or 4 different services and I am getting somewhat jaded about it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

What I don't like is the testing of the idea of layering PPV fees on top of the monthly subscription. If this is where they are headed, I will be out soon enough. I have had years recently where I hade to subscribe to 3 or 4 different services and I am getting somewhat jaded about it all. 

I know what you mean. I figure since I have already paid my $10 I will click on the link when it is available. But if they ask for more, that is where it will end for me. But I have faith. Misguided or otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I know what you mean. I figure since I have already paid my $10 I will click on the link when it is available. But if they ask for more, that is where it will end for me. But I have faith. Misguided or otherwise.

I had NLWC/PSU Rokfin for 4 months last winter and was simply going to renew whenever PSU was going to be streamed, but since they put the idea of a PPV fee which I am opposed to for this content they have convinced me to simply skip it. I don't want the surprise factor of signing back up and then they immediately tell me I have to pay yet another fee on top of the monthly. If they are not doing PPV then whomever floated that idea might have cost them some subscriptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I had NLWC/PSU Rokfin for 4 months last winter and was simply going to renew whenever PSU was going to be streamed, but since they put the idea of a PPV fee which I am opposed to for this content they have convinced me to simply skip it. I don't want the surprise factor of signing back up and then they immediately tell me I have to pay yet another fee on top of the monthly. If they are not doing PPV then whomever floated that idea might have cost them some subscriptions. 

Don't forget to leave a tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point the PPV add on is coming to Rokfin.

I'm not sure if it's for Journeymen but i think they'll have that at least by collegiate duals.

frankly, if you're aware of the ins and outs of the model, it makes a whole lotta sense.

bottom line is, if you think it's not worth it, you won't subscribe. if you think it's worth it, you will. ya know, like everything in life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on an email I just got it seems like in this instance you can either pay Journeymen $9.99 (not clear if that is a monthly sub or an event PPV, but they call it a sub) or NLWC $9.99 (via normal monthly sub). It is implied if you are a monthly sub via any other channel you won't have access without an incremental charge.

That seems logical. If you are already paying NLWC, it seems like that should cover a stream involving PSU duals (and spare me attempts to explain how those aren't the same entities). And if your not, then pony up to the stream provider who has the overhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...