Antitroll2828

Hildebrandt at psu

20 minutes ago, NJDan said:

State College because no one in NYC cares about wrestling to say nothing of women's wrestling. In State College they care a lot.

I thought that Sarah Hildebrandt lived in Colorado, and trained at the OTC. 

Have any of them ever trained anywhere else?
And I bet there are more than 7 Olympic medalists in and around NYC.  Just a hunch.

Bekzod, Gilman, Snyder, and Espinal have all trained elsewhere.

Cael and Varner, too. DT is the only guy who has been there since college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

I would say the "one year of eligibility left" transfers smell a little worse.  

So kinda like Eierman if not for the extra covid year of eligibility (which we didn't know about until after Eierman announced he was transferring to Iowa)?

But, I think one could also argue that due to the covid year, these guys are more likely to have already graduated, so if they're actually serious about grad school, there could certainly be some value added for their professional career by going to a more well known school (moreso for guys like Hildebrandt and Bulsak).  And I suppose it's probably also possible that their former schools may not have had scholarship money available for super seniors.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

So kinda like Eierman if not for the extra covid year of eligibility (which we didn't know about until after Eierman announced he was transferring to Iowa)?

But, I think one could also argue that due to the covid year, these guys are more likely to have already graduated, so if they're actually serious about grad school, there could certainly be some value added for their professional career by going to a more well known school (moreso for guys like Hildebrandt and Bulsak).  And I suppose it's probably also possible that their former schools may not have had scholarship money available for super seniors.

This is Eierman's third year in Iowa. 3 years >1. Especially when we talk of Suriano being a one semester deal and clearly looking for the highest bidder.  That's mercenary.

But I will say that the Eierman transfer always felt different than the Lugo and DeSanto tranfers.  Lugo and Desanto came from situations that really weren't going to be working for them going forward.  Eierman was in a fantastic program when he decided to make the change.

Edited by AHamilton

39 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I love the "my transfers are more virtuous than your transfers" debates. They change my mind every time.

This time made by an Iowa fan whose school has probably scored more pts at NCAAs from transfer wrestlers than any other school. Think Lugo, Desanto, and Eiermann off the top of my head. 

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This time made by an Iowa fan whose school has probably scored more pts at NCAAs from transfer wrestlers than any other school. Think Lugo, Desanto, and Eiermann off the top of my head. 

Are you saying it is my argument?  That is not the necessarily the case.  I'm saying that a one year transfer or one semester transfer (Suriano) looks a bit more suspect to some than a guy who ends up in a program for multiple years.  

But while we are at it: Kerkvliet, Dean, Hildebrant. Just this year...

Unfortunately the Conel gamble didn't work out.

Edited by AHamilton

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

This is Eierman's third year in Iowa. 3 years >1. Especially when we talk of Suriano being a one semester deal and clearly looking for the highest bidder.  That's mercenary.

But I will say that the Eierman transfer always felt different than the Lugo and DeSanto tranfers.  Lugo and Desanto came from situations that really weren't going to be working for them going forward.  Eierman was in a fantastic program when he decided to make the change.

Eierman transferred in as a 5th year senior 3 years ago and is still wrestling lol 

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Eierman transferred in as a 5th year senior 3 years ago and is still wrestling lol 

He might've enrolled in the Mark Perry School of Art, believe there may be two or three years of pre-recs before can get into the senior level courses.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Eierman had one year of eligibility left when he transferred.  Those were your words.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Eierman had one year of eligibility left when he transferred.  Those were your words.

As I said, he would be a bit more troubling than the other two. (Desanto and Lugo)

But Eierman also did not transfer during the school year (Hildebrant and Suriano), and has been there three years.  Those are also my words.

CS: "Dang it... Steen ain't workin' out and Howard is done bunged up... someone have Sarah's number?  Give her a call."

48 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

As I said, he would be a bit more troubling than the other two. (Desanto and Lugo)

But Eierman also did not transfer during the school year (Hildebrant and Suriano), and has been there three years.  Those are also my words.

CS: "Dang it... Steen ain't workin' out and Howard is done bunged up... someone have Sarah's number?  Give her a call."

Nothing remotely "troubling" about what Eierman did. He was at a great program but felt post collegiately, Iowa would be better for him (particularly with funding and the RTC). He also obviously wanted to be a difference maker in a team title for his dream school. Good for him. 

As for your comment about Cael, it's kind of his job to win team titles. Let's not act like Brands or Tom Ryan wouldn't do something similar. As for the kids who are transferring to PSU, who can blame them for wanting to be on Penn State? Track record for development is pretty good. Maybe they want to see if they can take another step with new coaching perspectives and room partners. 

Let's stop condemning transfers in general. If you think it's bad for the sport, so be it, it ain't that serious.  

Edited by IGotAPlan

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

You are nearly the script writer that Adan Schiff is. 

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

PSU cult has brought in way more transfers over the years to fill spots and it's not close. Many of them didn't do a whole lot so they forget about them. Desanto and Lugo get brought up, neither was an elite recruit or previous AA before transferring and Lugo wrestled in 1 whole NCAA tournament at Iowa finishing like 8th. 

Compare to suspended runner up Long at semester. Runner up Dean, #1 recruit Kerk, 3rd place Corey Conel, 4th place Hildebrandt, Cory Keener to start at 133 for a year, Carson Kuhn for 125, high end recruit Jared Cortez, Brian Brill, Geno Morelli, Matt Brown, Jimmy Lawson and Cyler Sanderson. Plus spent this off season trying to get Griffith, Wick, the 157 runner up from last year from Ryder and even Suriano a guy who left there already. 

All this despite having the best recruits to begin with. 

9 minutes ago, BLT said:

PSU cult has brought in way more transfers over the years to fill spots and it's not close. Many of them didn't do a whole lot so they forget about them. Desanto and Lugo get brought up, neither was an elite recruit or previous AA before transferring and Lugo wrestled in 1 whole NCAA tournament at Iowa finishing like 8th. 

Compare to suspended runner up Long at semester. Runner up Dean, #1 recruit Kerk, 3rd place Corey Conel, 4th place Hildebrandt, Cory Keener to start at 133 for a year, Carson Kuhn for 125, high end recruit Jared Cortez, Brian Brill, Geno Morelli, Matt Brown, Jimmy Lawson and Cyler Sanderson. Plus spent this off season trying to get Griffith, Wick, the 157 runner up from last year from Ryder and even Suriano a guy who left there already. 

All this despite having the best recruits to begin with. 

Cael coached Conel up, big time!  Conel went  from NCAA 3rd with two pins of Kollin Moore to JV to the guy who was 4th at Big 10.;)

So you are saying that Iowa actually makes transfers better wrestlers, while PSU wastes their talent? hmmm

36 minutes ago, IGotAPlan said:

Don't forget about David Taylor, transfer from Iowa State, how did Cael get a freaking 4x Finalist, 2x Champ, 2x Hodge Winner to fall into his lap like that?

He was a skinny high schooler at the time. Impressionable. But thank you for pointing out what Cael was able to guide him to!