Stanford's six signees for 2022-2023

125 lbs - Wyatt Richter - Cleveland, Ohio

125/133 lbs - Nico Provo - Stratford, Connecticut

149/157 lbs - Daniel Cardenas - Arvada, Colorado

157 lbs - Hunter Garvin - Iowa City, Iowa

184/197 lbs - Luke Duthie - Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

184/197 lbs - Jack Darrah - St. Louis, Missouri

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

This year? Zero. Long term? I think you are underselling some of them.

I have no idea who would start. But if kids who committed to Cornell are now going to Stanford, that's a bad sign. I hope that's not true, but it seems true to me. It shows that they were charmed by Koll, not the school or the program. And it shows that Koll can get kids admitted. 

What the whiny little 3rd grader types fail to realize is Stanford did ZERO recruiting for 2022-2023 last season because they were told that last season would be their last season.   But since the coaching change and the 180 degree about face by the twits in charge at Stanford it's to the new coach's credit that he was able to bring in six new recruits for Stanford.   And much like in football and basketball just because a HS athlete verbally commits to a school does NOT mean that that is the school they will be signing with on LOI day.

3 hours ago, ugarte said:

This year? Zero. Long term? I think you are underselling some of them.

Arujau has three years left, Greg D has four, then Ungar has four starting next year.  No room at the inn for Provo at 125/133, ever.

Saunders, Yianni, Handlovic, Sokol have 149 sewed up for a few years, and Yapoujian has three or four years at 157, so where would Cardenas fit?

184/197:  Loew has two years left, Hatcher/Mayes/Cardenas have three or four years left.

Each of those now-Stanford recruits is very high quality, but not likely high enough to break through those starters.  I'm guessing that

1. they saw the writing on the wall (when they committed, each of the current guys would have been thought to be gone at least a year earlier); and
  2. who wouldn't jump at the chance to get a Stanford degree (even over one from Cornell)?

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Arujau has three years left, Greg D has four, then Ungar has four starting next year.  No room at the inn for Provo at 125/133, ever.

Saunders, Yianni, Handlovic, Sokol have 149 sewed up for a few years, and Yapoujian has three or four years at 157, so where would Cardenas fit?

184/197:  Loew has two years left, Hatcher/Mayes/Cardenas have three or four years left.

Each of those now-Stanford recruits is very high quality, but not likely high enough to break through those starters.  I'm guessing that

1. they saw the writing on the wall (when they committed, each of the current guys would have been thought to be gone at least a year earlier); and
  2. who wouldn't jump at the chance to get a Stanford degree (even over one from Cornell)?

all i'm saying is that these are high quality wrestlers that koll took with him to stanford. Other than Yianni, I wouldn't count Cardenas out for fitting into the lineup and Darrah in particular, competing with Loew and Hatcher, is who i was thinking of in particular if we assume Cardenas takes over for Darmstadt at 197 and Foca stays at 174. We're good and deep and these guys will definitely get more run in Palo Alto but I'm not convinced we didn't lose anyone worth keeping.