Gantry

Brothers battling for the same spot

How often has this happened?  At 125 for NIU, TWIN brothers Drew and Bryce West are going head-to-head for the starting job.  Bryce is a 2x qualifier and Drew was usually up at 133 or 141.  Drew did beat Bryce at the MSU Open but that is far from settled.  

https://www.rokfin.com/article/6557/NIU-202122-Season-Preview--The-Will-to-Prepare-

Probably needs Rokfin subscription but might as well turn this into a discussion about NIU wrestling.  They have a JUCO champ Tulga Zuunbayan at 157 who was born in Mongolia, he looked good at the MSU Open making the finals.  Olenik and Brit Wilson are proven commodities at 165 and 184.  Team is definitely looking stronger up and down the lineup, NIU could make a jump this year in the MAC. 

Edited by Gantry

9 minutes ago, Gantry said:

How often has this happened?  At 125 for NIU, TWIN brothers Drew and Bryce West are going head-to-head for the starting job.  Bryce is a 2x qualifier and Drew was usually up at 133 or 141.  Drew did beat Bryce at the MSU Open but that is far from settled.  

https://www.rokfin.com/article/6557/NIU-202122-Season-Preview--The-Will-to-Prepare-

Probably needs Rokfin subscription but might as well turn this into a discussion about NIU wrestling.  They have a JUCO champ Tulga Zuunbayan at 157 who was born in Mongolia, he looked good at the MSU Open making the finals.  Olenik and Brit Wilson are proven commodities at 165 and 184.  Team is definitely looking stronger up and down the lineup, NIU could make a jump this year in the MAC. 

I have always been a fan of NIU. I think olejnik has a good chance of placing this year, he almost had Valencia last year and unfortunately ran into Wittlake on the backend 

I was referring more to brothers battling for the starting spots.  Koontzs aren't going to start at tOSU at 125, IIRC NAIA can send multiple wrestlers to their postseason tourney so not a big of a deal.

That said, clearly more common than I thought...

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I was referring more to brothers battling for the starting spots.  Koontzs aren't going to start at tOSU at 125, IIRC NAIA can send multiple wrestlers to their postseason tourney so not a big of a deal.

That said, clearly more common than I thought...

Dylan Koontz is the current starter at 133 although I think the freshman Andre Gonzalez is better and beat him in wrestle offs. Seems like they don't want to burn his RS year though. Brady is listed at 125 but he isn't beating Malik Heinselman, so technically he is kinda battling him for 133 you could say.

Edited by DocBZ

That’s crazy… I can’t imagine brothers having to wrestle off for the same spot. If they want to go the same weight they usually go to different schools.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.