Sign in to follow this  
goheels1812

Wolfpack Open

It’s not available for viewing on Flo, but I’ve been following along on FloArena. It looks like Pat Pop is starting to forfeit his wrestlers out in some brackets (Camacho is out at 125 after making the semis, same for Trey Kibe at 174 but his is listed as a medical forfeit even though he finished his round of 16 match). What’s the point of hosting a lower tier tournament, entering your wrestlers, and then forfeiting them out after a couple matches? I really wish the NCAA would start counting forfeits as losses. I was looking forward to a Gavin Kane vs. Trey Kibe finals, but that won’t be happening now. 

Edited by goheels1812

6 hours ago, Titabawassee said:

Go all the way to a tournament so your team can get some matches and the host team forfeits. Don't go back anymore. Go to other better tournaments and let them have an intrasquad.

I don’t know about the Wolfpack Open in particular but isn’t it not just the host team that’s doing this?

12 hours ago, Wrestle81 said:

Never happened in my day

Coaches weren’t judged as much exclusively on state and NCAA level results back in the day either. Kids also didn’t train year round the same way either

14 hours ago, jp157 said:

It’s not new. Most people whining will/would freak out worse if the coaches kept kids in and they lost/got hurt. 

As long as people don’t put any value or worth in anything but NCAA results. Stop being surprised or whining 

I don’t understand this reasoning whatsoever. Then why even enter your wrestler in the tournament? If you don’t want that kid to risk injury or a loss why would you put him on the mat in the tournament period? Why not just hold the wrestler out exclusively for duals and then the conference/NCAA tournament? I’m genuinely curious your thoughts. 

And PS I find your quote  “most people would freak out worse over a loss” interesting. I’m not sure where you’re getting most people from. If the team I pulled for entered a wrestler into a tournament and then pulled him out in the semi finals I’d be way more upset than watching him lose in the semis. Gavin Kane ended up losing to an NC State backup 174 pounder in the finals. I’m not upset by that. It’s a great learning experience for Gavin. Your whole post is kind of odd.

Edited by goheels1812

14 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I don’t understand this reasoning whatsoever. Then why even enter your wrestler in the tournament? If you don’t want that kid to risk injury or a loss why would you put him on the mat in the tournament period? Why not just hold the wrestler out exclusively for duals and then the conference/NCAA tournament? I’m genuinely curious your thoughts. 

And PS I find your quote  “most people would freak out worse over a loss” interesting. I’m not sure where you’re getting most people from. If the team I pulled for entered a wrestler into a tournament and then pulled him out in the semi finals I’d be way more upset than watching him lose in the semis. Gavin Kane ended up losing to an NC State backup 174 pounder in the finals. I’m not upset by that. It’s a great learning experience for Gavin. Your whole post is kind of odd.

Not saying I agree, but it seems in some cases they want their guys to get like 2 matches or so, but not more than that

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Not saying I agree, but it seems in some cases they want their guys to get like 2 matches or so, but not more than that

Yeah I get that. It’s frustrating because it waters down tournaments. But oh well. The one part of @jp157 post I agreed with is that the NCAA tournament is king (obviously) and coaches will do anything to improve seeding for their wrestlers. I still think it would be an easy fix to improve the quality of the in-season tournaments to make a forfeit a loss. But that’s my soap box. I won’t complain about it anymore lol. 

50 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Yeah I get that. It’s frustrating because it waters down tournaments. But oh well. The one part of @jp157 post I agreed with is that the NCAA tournament is king (obviously) and coaches will do anything to improve seeding for their wrestlers. I still think it would be an easy fix to improve the quality of the in-season tournaments to make a forfeit a loss. But that’s my soap box. I won’t complain about it anymore lol. 

I hear ya.  I feel like if that's what coaches want they should do like what App State/NC State did last year with small round-robin or "individual quad" type tournaments.    Then you don't have to worry about losing in a dual, and if you don't want your guy wrestling someone in particular for whatever reason they don't have to.

But I feel like they only did those last year because of covid and then didn't do them this year...

9 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Not really. I’m also basing off what I’ve seen people say when injuries and other things happen early. 

and, most coaches would respond that the matches and competition experience get them prepared to peak for NCAAs but anything that the coach thinks will impress that matters more. 

I don’t like it. But I also don’t like the culture with most youth wrestling I watch. But the incentives are for certain things so that’s what we get.