Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Greg Diakomihalis & Cornell

Greg wrestled 125 and came in second to Jacob Allen from Navy at the Bearcat open in overtime. This raises a couple of questions. I thought the plan was for Vito to go 125 and for Greg D. to go 133. Is Cornell flipping the weights or will Greg D. sit? In his write-up of the tournament, Coach Grey did not way anything about the weights or who would wrestle where going forward. Meanwhile, Cornell had LaJoie and Wilson at 133 and neither placed.

And is Greg D's result good? Allen was second at the EIWA last year at 133. But that was the EIWA without Cornell, Penn and Princeton. 

I guess it's easy to get spoiled in advance with a Diakomihalis on your squad and its only the first weekend-- and maybe one that does not even count on official records. Still, there are questions.

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Greg wrestled 125 and came in second to Jacob Allen from Navy at the Bearcat open in overtime. This raises a couple of questions. I thought the plan was for Vito to go 125 and for Greg D. to go 133. Is Cornell flipping the weights or will Greg D. sit? In his write-up of the tournament, Coach Grey did not way anything about the weights or who would wrestle where going forward. Meanwhile, Cornell had LaJoie and Wilson at 133 and neither placed.

And is Greg D's result good? Allen was second at the EIWA last year at 133. But that was the EIWA without Cornell, Penn and Princeton. 

I guess it's easy to get spoiled in advance with a Diakomihalis on your squad and its only the first weekend-- and maybe one that does not even count on official records. Still, there are questions.

Greg was the first of five freshman to watch in one wrestling article I read. Taking a loss like this right out of the gate probably was not to be expected. 

I thought Greg D was going to be small frame wise for a 125 lb. D1 wrestler, hard to imagine him at 133, although I admit I haven't seen him since pre-covid.

Greg is a very good wrestler, not trying to put him down but his frame reminded me of Darian Cruz but he doesn't have the crazy athleticism Cruz has.  Could be wrong but I was imagining him having a tough time against high quality full sized 125 lbers, maybe he hit a growth spurt during covid someone closer to Cornell program would have a better idea of that.  I know Allen lost to Lehigh redshirt true freshman Carter Bailey at the Clarion Open last weekend, and Bailey doesn't come into the D1 scence with nearly the recruiting "pedigree" that Greg D did.

34 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He was beating Allen 5-1 before he let it get away.  It's not like he was being dominated.  Don't count him out after his first four collegiate matches (one of which was a victory over #1 2021 120 pounder and #19 p4p Ungar).

Greg is not a 133.  I would guess that Greg will still start at 125 and Vito will go 133.  Yianni has said he will go wherever it is best for the team, but Vito has been quiet on this subject.  We'll find out this weekend.

LaJoie was knocked unconscious by a kick from Evans (PSU).

17 minutes ago, klehner said:

He was beating Allen 5-1 before he let it get away.  It's not like he was being dominated.  Don't count him out after his first four collegiate matches (one of which was a victory over #1 2021 120 pounder and #19 p4p Ungar).

Greg is not a 133.  I would guess that Greg will still start at 125 and Vito will go 133.  Yianni has said he will go wherever it is best for the team, but Vito has been quiet on this subject.  We'll find out this weekend.

LaJoie was knocked unconscious by a kick from Evans (PSU).

Was that kick intentional or just part of normal wrestling action? Your post here combined with a post from klehner on bigredbears msg. board might create such an impression. 

Re: Kaloust Bearcat Open

Post by klehner » 15 Nov 2021, 05:41

Correction: LaJoie was kicked in the head (while standing up!) and knocked out.

No one has stated the kick was intentional, but you can see how it could be misconstrued. Would not want to see people get the wrong impression. 

Speaking of Evans ... lightly regarded 4th place finisher at PIAA, wrestled no matches last year, got beat by Koderhandt of Navy 10-1 at Clarion Open. He reversed that result beating him 7-5 just one week later. 

Edited by TBar1977

9 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Can't be easy being the little brother and also have such a pedestrian name to boot. It's obvious who the parents favor and it's not the one with a name taken from the Brady Bunch.

Greg vs John Michael?  ( Edit* I originally put John David)
I'm not sure one is more bland than the other 

Edited by spladle08

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Greg vs John Michael?  ( Edit* I originally put John David)
I'm not sure one is more bland than the other 

Just talked to Yianni. He says if you call him John again, he's gonna take you to the mat, not let you take him down, and win by one point with 0:02 seconds left in the match. So look out.

46 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Was that kick intentional or just part of normal wrestling action? Your post here combined with a post from klehner on bigredbears msg. board might create such an impression. 

Re: Kaloust Bearcat Open

Post by klehner » 15 Nov 2021, 05:41

Correction: LaJoie was kicked in the head (while standing up!) and knocked out.

No one has stated the kick was intentional, but you can see how it could be misconstrued. Would not want to see people get the wrong impression. 

Speaking of Evans ... lightly regarded 4th place finisher at PIAA, wrestled no matches last year, got beat by Koderhandt of Navy 10-1 at Clarion Open. He reversed that result beating him 7-5 just one week later. 

Of course it was unintentional.  Nobody thinks otherwise.  I stated what happened.

2 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Just talked to Yianni. He says if you call him John again, he's gonna take you to the mat, not let you take him down, and win by one point with 0:02 seconds left in the match. So look out.

Johnny D has such a cool style. 
He'll be a memorable NCAA wrestler. 
And maybe a multiple time World/Olympic qualifier (Maybe just 1x though) . 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

With a standing exclamation point!

Glad you provided added clarity. 

Meh.  Coach Grey didn't even mention it in his recap, and no other comments on the incident that I can see.  I'd say T-Bar just getting triggered again.

35 minutes ago, klehner said:

How many wrestlers get kicked in the head, while standing?

I have no idea. Foot to head of standing wrestler seems implausible, so how did this implausible and unfortunate incident happen? 

Edited by TBar1977

3 minutes ago, red blades said:

Meh.  Coach Grey didn't even mention it in his recap, and no other comments on the incident that I can see.  I'd say T-Bar just getting triggered again.

Yet two different Cornell fans brought it onto msg boards. I am just responding to those statements. Maybe the two fans should have responded more like Coach Grey.

Edited by TBar1977

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I have no idea. Foot to head of standing wrestler seems implausible, so how did this implausible and unfortunate incident happen? 

Are you suggesting this was done on purpose?  Maybe you have inside information on this?  If so, do tell! :-P

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

I guess it's easy to get spoiled in advance with a Diakomihalis on your squad and its only the first weekend-- and maybe one that does not even count on official records.

Yes, opens do count on the official record.  And, yes, I think perhaps you've been a bit spoiled by Yianni; but I also wouldn't panic over Greg D.  He' a freshman, and there's lots of time left to reverse this result.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Still, there are questions.

Yes!  That's why we have  wrestling season!  If it was all a foregone conclusion based on what was previously known, there wouldn't be much point in it, right?

Edited by red blades

19 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

A fraction of a second after this screen capture.  Evans was diving for the feet while he was being taken down.

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 10.52.33 PM.png

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yet two different Cornell fans brought it onto msg boards. I am just responding to those statements. Maybe the two fans should have responded more like Coach Grey.

Maybe you should get a clue.  Both those different Cornell fans were me.  On the Cornell msg board, this was in response to the concern about LaJoie's injury; I added clarity as to what occurred.  On the PSU board(s), I tempered the fans' jubilation over the mistaken belief that Evans pinned LaJoie ("what a great start to the year!"); it was an injury default.

Had anyone asked Coach Grey what happened, his response would have been the same as mine.

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

26 minutes ago, red blades said:

Yes, opens do count on the official record.  And, yes, I think perhaps you've been a bit spoiled by Yianni; but I also wouldn't panic over Greg D.  He' a freshman, and there's lots of time left to reverse this result.

Yes!  That's why we have  wrestling season!  If it was all a foregone conclusion based on what was previously known, there wouldn't be much point in it, right?

Why is this tournament not on the Cornell schedule as posted on its website? Also, when Cornell guys face each other, does that count on the official record?

13 minutes ago, klehner said:

Maybe you should get a clue.  Both those different Cornell fans were me.  On the Cornell msg board, this was in response to the concern about LaJoie's injury; I added clarity as to what occurred.  On the PSU board(s), I tempered the fans' jubilation over the mistaken belief that Evans pinned LaJoie ("what a great start to the year!"); it was an injury default.

Had anyone asked Coach Grey what happened, his response would have been the same as mine.

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Ok, two posts not two posters. Nonetheless, your description  LaJoie was kicked in the head (while standing up!)  seemed unnecessary in light of your updates as to the benign nature of the incident. I would not have written things that way given the action described. Not without qualifiers anyway. 

This is the problem Greg will have to deal with, half this thread is about Yianni even though thread was about Greg......

Greg will be a very successful 125 wrestler, he will not be Yianni, who is? (answer, very few)......He will also not be as good as Vito if Vito chooses to go 125 this year.......the question is, is it better for Cornell if Vito goes 133 and Greg D at 125? Does Vito have any interest in going 133 instead of 125? Cornell has a very nice team this year, and I'm sure that it being the first year of the Mike Grey era they will want to do very well and not hold anything back....will be very interesting how it all plays out slotting guys in lineup as year progresses........

I'm a Lehigh fan so not a Cornell fan, Tbar seems like he is making a big deal about nothing.....I did not interpret the statement as any kind of indictment of PSU wrestler.......

Edited by Spladle88