Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Greg Diakomihalis & Cornell

Recommended Posts

On 11/23/2021 at 8:12 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

I think this is a myth. Struggling is relative. Vito initially wanted to go 133, then 141 the following year with Yianni going 141, then 149. Vito is too disciplined to miss weight, but it cannot be easy. Seeing him next to 149 Yianni shows how tall and long his frame is. Vito may not have a big cut, but that’s a function of his discipline, keeping his weight under control year round. 

We (Cornell fans) were generally surprised he got down and was competitive his first year. Perhaps because of his older brother. And basic eye test. You never know who can be effective with a cut while lean. Nick Simmons seemed to have super power ability. 

Edited by scribe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

comparing anyone's success to yianni's is ridiculous. greg is a small 125 and expecting breakout success right off the bat his freshman year is unfair. best squad is probably vito-dom-yianni-hunter but i don't think we see it until january or february. next year greg d v ungar will be a very interesting competition at 125.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ugarte said:

comparing anyone's success to yianni's is ridiculous. greg is a small 125 and expecting breakout success right off the bat his freshman year is unfair. best squad is probably vito-dom-yianni-hunter but i don't think we see it until january or february. next year greg d v ungar will be a very interesting competition at 125.

Maybe, but Greg had pretty similar success to Yianni in high school, if not better. He was a 5X NYS champ, like Troy Nickerson. That said, we was not a top 10 overall recruit-- but he was top 15 (per Flo). He does not look like a small 125 to me. You may be right that he will wind up out of the lineup. But if he stays in, predicting great success does not seem out of line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Maybe, but Greg had pretty similar success to Yianni in high school, if not better. He was a 5X NYS champ, like Troy Nickerson. That said, we was not a top 10 overall recruit-- but he was top 15 (per Flo). He does not look like a small 125 to me. You may be right that he will wind up out of the lineup. But if he stays in, predicting great success does not seem out of line.

yianni is a 5x champ if he doesn't get injured and he was winning cadet worlds at the same time. they weren't similarly ranked, they weren't considered similar recruits by anyone. in the interim, yianni has won international freestyle tournaments and senior nationals twice (even though final x undid one of those wins). nobody expects greg to live up to yianni's standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NJDan said:

Maybe, but Greg had pretty similar success to Yianni in high school, if not better. He was a 5X NYS champ, like Troy Nickerson. That said, we was not a top 10 overall recruit-- but he was top 15 (per Flo). He does not look like a small 125 to me. You may be right that he will wind up out of the lineup. But if he stays in, predicting great success does not seem out of line.

no he did not have similar success as yianni. there are tons of 4x state champs across the country who aren’t even d1 level. yianni was a 2x cadet world champ. on a whole different level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

no he did not have similar success as yianni. there are tons of 4x state champs across the country who aren’t even d1 level. yianni was a 2x cadet world champ. on a whole different level. 

I don't think that there a lot of 4X champs in top wrestling states, like NY. And Greg was one of three 5X NY champs ever. Nickerson and Teemer were the other two. He was also the #15 overall recruit. It is true that that puts him behind Yianni, who was IIRC, top 5. But still quite high. Anyhow, top 15 guys generally have a lot of success in college, tho maybe not as true freshmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg has had a bad start. He will improve. He's not Yianni, but he is very good and should not have lost the matches he did, especially the Stanford match in which he did absolutely nothing. The dual started at 125, it was his first ever home event in a very packed and loud arena, and he went deer in the headlights. It happens.

I don't think Greg is small for the weight but I do think he is physically immature for college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't think that there a lot of 4X champs in top wrestling states, like NY. And Greg was one of three 5X NY champs ever. Nickerson and Teemer were the other two. He was also the #15 overall recruit. It is true that that puts him behind Yianni, who was IIRC, top 5. But still quite high. Anyhow, top 15 guys generally have a lot of success in college, tho maybe not as true freshmen.

When Nickerson won his championships, New York only had one classification. Now the state has more than one—hence it’s easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I don't think that there a lot of 4X champs in top wrestling states, like NY. And Greg was one of three 5X NY champs ever. Nickerson and Teemer were the other two. He was also the #15 overall recruit. It is true that that puts him behind Yianni, who was IIRC, top 5. But still quite high. Anyhow, top 15 guys generally have a lot of success in college, tho maybe not as true freshmen.

he was a 113. kurt mchenry also won a bunch of stuff, but never above 113. greg’s projection was based off him growing into 125. i don’t think he has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maximus Meridius said:

When Nickerson won his championships, New York only had one classification. Now the state has more than one—hence it’s easier. 

That not entirely true the 2 class system came his junior year. It wouldn't have mattered nobody in NY could last a period with him at that point.

Edited by Sublime607

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

he was a 113. kurt mchenry also won a bunch of stuff, but never above 113. greg’s projection was based off him growing into 125. i don’t think he has. 

His senior year Greg D. won at 120 lbs. He will be fine at 125 - it's just a tough transition to the d1 college level - most guys even the mega talented ones will take some lumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

His senior year Greg D. won at 120 lbs. He will be fine at 125 - it's just a tough transition to the d1 college level - most guys even the mega talented ones will take some lumps.

DID SOMEONE SAY LUMP!?!?!?!?!?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...