Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Partisan cheering during competition with teammate

Is partisan cheering during competition with teammate poor form?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is partisan cheering during competition with teammate poor form?

• yes
    • no

34 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I think it is bad form.  I wouldn't blame a wrestler for being miffed if his team's crowd was cheering for an opponent.

When it’s from other teammates yes but when it’s a parent cheering for their kid it’s fine , like what are they supposed to do ? Especially at the D1 level that means these parents really invested time and attention to their child reaching these levels, so you can’t expect them to just shut up bc a 23 yr old Austin desanto is offended

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

When it’s from other teammates yes but when it’s a parent cheering for their kid it’s fine , like what are they supposed to do ? Especially at the D1 level that means these parents really invested time and attention to their child reaching these levels, so you can’t expect them to just shut up bc a 23 yr old Austin desanto is offended

We always stayed quiet, as did the other families. 

I think it demonstrates class when people restrain themselves from passionately cheering for their kid against that kids teammate.  I also think it is both expected and understandable that parents would root for their kid.  So I expect it to happen but would think better of those that didn't do it.  

38 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

CS' dad should have remained quiet, but DeSanto shouldn't have acted how he did

Who the hell are you or anyone else to tell CS dad when it’s ok to root for his son, the man probably pays over 10,000 a year for his kid to go to Iowa , probably drove and flew his kid all over the country when he younger to get to this point and he’s supposed to shut up when his kid is battling a mutiple time AA ? As long as it’s cheering for your kid and not disparaging the opponent a parent has a right to cheer whenever their kid does anything …ridiculous we are having this conversation bc a 23 year old Austin Desanto is mentally weak and can’t handle being cheered against…Desanto tries this ill kill you tough guy stuff post college he’s going to get laid the hell out 

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Who the hell are you or anyone else to tell CS dad when it’s ok to root for his son, the man probably pays over 10,000 a year for his kid to go to Iowa , probably drove and flew his kid all over the country when he younger to get to this point and he’s supposed to shut up when his kid is battling a mutiple time AA ? As long as it’s cheering for your kid and not disparaging the opponent a parent has a right to cheer whenever their kid does anything …ridiculous we are having this conversation bc a 23 year old Austin Desanto is mentally weak and can’t handle being cheered against…Desanto tries this ill kill you tough guy stuff post college he’s going to get laid the hell out 

Its a cultural thing and some people don't appreciate it but there is something to be said about acting in a way that is primarily considerate of others, instead of primarily concerned with what you are entitled to do.

Edited by flyingcement

I have always been a believer in cheering for your guy or gal versus cheering against someone else.  Don't get me wrong, I'll be a poor sport and boo when someone acts like a Jack Wagon, but in general I just cheer on the person I am hoping to win.

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Of course, this isn't WWIII.   Sportsmanship is one of the cornerstones of sports.

Your equivalence is perfect and impossible to argue against. Cheering for an athlete is, in fact, the same as World War III.

I am sure you have an equally valid argument to explain why cheering for an athlete is poor sportsmanship.

28 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

CS' dad has every right to cheer for the son in the match against DeSanto, but he shouldn't be surprised when it upset DeSanto.  

DeSanto handled the situation poorly by allegedly threatening CS' dad in public and at the tournament.  However, DeSanto has every right to be upset about CS' dad cheering.

IMO, this is a situation where everyone should have just kept their feelings/comments to themselves.

6 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

CS' dad has every right to cheer for the son in the match against DeSanto, but he shouldn't be surprised when it upset DeSanto.  

DeSanto handled the situation poorly by allegedly threatening CS' dad in public and at the tournament.  However, DeSanto has every right to be upset about CS' dad cheering.

IMO, this is a situation where everyone should have just kept their feelings/comments to themselves.

He shouldn’t be surprised when Desanto gets upset? Seriously?Hes a parent rooting for his kid whose wrestling unattached… This isn’t a private wrestleoff, it’s the finals of an open tournament , Desanto gets boooed by entire big 10 arenas and usually doesnt act like a schmuck 

If it were a wrestle-off in the Iowa room during an open practice, all parents should keep their yaps shut and they probably know this. This took place at a public tourney, so I can see why the CS dad felt he could be more enthusiastic, though there still ought to be some level of restraint since he's going against a teammate. Screaming and yelling throughout the match - probably not OK; one loud "yeah" after the TD - should be OK.

Obviously, none of this justifies the ADS overreaction, but I don't think anyone's debating that.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

I have always been a believer in cheering for your guy or gal versus cheering against someone else.  Don't get me wrong, I'll be a poor sport and boo when someone acts like a Jack Wagon, but in general I just cheer on the person I am hoping to win.

I always hated Jack Wagon too.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He shouldn’t be surprised when Desanto gets upset? Seriously?Hes a parent rooting for his kid whose wrestling unattached… This isn’t a private wrestleoff, it’s the finals of an open tournament , Desanto gets boooed by entire big 10 arenas and usually doesnt act like a schmuck 

Remember when teammates could wrestle each other and you expected the other guys dad to root for his son...then you could walk off the mat and still be friends and teammates? It used to be called maturity... now we can't have that.... we just tiptoe around feelings. 

9 minutes ago, ugarte said:

"Is a dad allowed to openly root for his own son or should he have kept quiet because it would piss off a talented guy who is always mad about something" is the dumbest topic this forum has ever seen and that's saying a lot.

Lol that is not the name of the topic.  Damn.  Have you ever sat next to the family of your child's opponent?  It is awkward.  I imagine it could be the same when wrestling.  When it is your teammate, why not be gracious and diminish your joy a bit for just one match?

As far as AD goes, his alleged outburst prompted the topic, but it is not about him.  

40 minutes ago, ugarte said:

"Is a dad allowed to openly root for his own son or should he have kept quiet because it would piss off a talented guy who is always mad about something" is the dumbest topic this forum has ever seen and that's saying a lot.

You don't like tough cheering.

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Lol that is not the name of the topic.  Damn. ...

As far as AD goes, his alleged outburst prompted the topic, but it is not about him.  

OK, fair. lol

I have sat next to parents of players on the other team, though. As long as you aren't a jerk or in their face they don't care that you are rooting for your guys.