Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Partisan cheering during competition with teammate

Is partisan cheering during competition with teammate poor form?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is partisan cheering during competition with teammate poor form?

• yes
    • no

A Yell-Stalling mandate was implemented years ago for Iowa Hawkeyes. Out-of-compliance fans, parents and teammates, are quarantined and de-wormed continuously for 14 days.  If this Dad was not yelling "stalling" at his son and DeSanto he should be treated.

1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

A Yell-Stalling mandate was implemented years ago for Iowa Hawkeyes. Out-of-compliance fans, parents and teammates, are quarantined and de-wormed continuously for 14 days.  If this Dad was not yelling "stalling" at his son and DeSanto he should be treated.

A true missed opportunity.  It is a rare event indeed when two fists can be thrust triumphantly skyward!

So…

my kid has wrestled a kid for years on the scene…

this kid was a cadet free silver medalist this summer…

my kid dropped this kid in the semis of cadet Greco world team trials…

the whole match that was recognized as the best match at cadet Greco trials I stood there with my hands in my pockets watching because no matter what, I knew that both of these kids are bad MFers and whoever won the match won it because of what that wrestler did and had nothing to do with whatever I did or did not do…

after the match was over I went and shook his dad’s hand and told that dad that I loved his kid and his kid wrestled like I wanted my kid to wrestle…

because I meant it…

our families will be friends for life because we recognize what is really important…

I did not watch or follow any of this crap because I don’t have to follow the BS style this country has chosen anymore and I could not be happier about it…

but…

with that being said…

if the parent of that bad MFer had ever acted like a typical little league parent in the stands I might feel differently…

and he might feel differently about me as well…

whatever…

we as adults should behave better than even our best intentions for our kids…

which means a MFer in the stands should act right now matter what the outcome because our time is over…

Don’t be a typical bitch and blame desanto…

that kid is in the mix and living the life…

we as parents and fans should be better…

no excuses…

8 hours ago, LJB said:

So…

the whole match that was recognized as the best match at cadet Greco trials I stood there with my hands in my pockets watching because no matter what, I knew that both of these kids are bad MFers and whoever won the match won it because of what that wrestler did and had nothing to do with whatever I did or did not do…

after the match was over I went and shook his dad’s hand and told that dad that I loved his kid and his kid wrestled like I wanted my kid to wrestle…

because I meant it…

our families will be friends for life because we recognize what is really important…

I did not watch or follow any of this crap because I don’t have to follow the BS style this country has chosen anymore and I could not be happier about it…

but…

with that being said…

if the parent of that bad MFer had ever acted like a typical little league parent in the stands I might feel differently…

whatever…

which means a MFer in the stands should act right now matter what the outcome because our time is over…

no excuses…

You should've gone out the parking lot in the 3rd period and let the air out of his tires. That first-place medal gets heavy when you have to walk home.

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Its a cultural thing and some people don't appreciate it but there is something to be said about acting in a way that is primarily considerate of others, instead of primarily concerned with what you are entitled to do.

By that logic, people should never cheer for anyone.

11 hours ago, LJB said:

So…

all i'm saying is that you both could have cheered for your own kids instead of sitting like statues then, after the match, winner buys the loser a beer and there are no hard feelings about honest competition and you don't have to pretend that you didn't live for your own kid's success.

and, i mean, congrats to your kid. 

Edited by ugarte

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Am I confused as to whether or not this was just cheering for their kid, or something beyond just cheering for their kid. 

You'd get two entirely different answers from the wrestler and the parent, because their brains function differently. The parent got in the zone watching his kid wrestle well, and probably yelled something that ADS thought went too far. I'm guessing something about Austin slipped out. Examples could be:

"Let's go Cullan he's got nothing for you!!" "Come on ref he's stalling on bottom!!" 

Those are normal things to hear at a match, as a wrestler you'd never think twice about them! But for neurodivergent people it can be absurdly difficult to not see those things as personal attacks, especially when it comes from someone they trust and look at as a teammate--someone who he probably thinks is supposed to have his back. Throw in a 190bpm heart rate, and you get what happened.

12 hours ago, LJB said:

So…

because I meant it…

but…

with that being said…

whatever…

no excuses…

Cheering and encouraging your kid during a match is different than degrading the other kid and causing a hostile environment. Two different things. Silence is not the only way to act right. 

26 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Seems to me that the team/coach should announce a rule and that the parents should abide by it. That way there is clarity and no hard feelings after the fact.

Have you ever seen how the Brands act during matches?  Any type of behavior rule they try to impose on parents would be seen a hypocritical. 

4 hours ago, ugarte said:

all i'm saying is that you both could have cheered for your own kids instead of sitting like statues then, after the match, winner buys the loser a beer and there are no hard feelings about honest competition and you don't have to pretend that you didn't live for your own kid's success.

and, i mean, congrats to your kid. 

i don't disagree...

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Cheering and encouraging your kid during a match is different than degrading the other kid and causing a hostile environment. Two different things. Silence is not the only way to act right. 

wildly different things and the hyperbole does not address the situation very well...

but, yes...

i don't disagree with this either

2 hours ago, olddirty said:

Cheering against a teammate who is giving their all to help you succeed is so bush league its embarrassing.  Even my highschoolers know to shut the hell up when 2 of their teammates are battling for a spot. 

100%

On 11/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, Plasmodium said:

I think it is bad form.  I wouldn't blame a wrestler for being miffed if his team's crowd was cheering for an opponent.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, ShakaAloha said:

CS' dad has every right to cheer for the son in the match against DeSanto, but he shouldn't be surprised when it upset DeSanto.  

DeSanto handled the situation poorly by allegedly threatening CS' dad in public and at the tournament.  However, DeSanto has every right to be upset about CS' dad cheering.

IMO, this is a situation where everyone should have just kept their feelings/comments to themselves.

Where is the link to the actual story, or did I miss it somewhere in the thread? Video? 

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

Have you ever seen how the Brands act during matches?  Any type of behavior rule they try to impose on parents would be seen a hypocritical. 

Only if the Brands ever cheered against their own guy. Anyhow, even if the parents didn't like the rule, I would think that they'd follow it.